Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    First it's his posts. Now it's his million dollar arm preservation. Is there anything positive you can say about this delightful young man?
    I've noticed a lot of really weird resentment towards Hunter Greene. People seem legitimately offended that he waited to sign. That he shut down his high school season. That he needed time to get back into games after signing.

It's been incredibly weird, as a whole, to see grown men who should absolutely know better, act the way that they have in regards to Hunter Greene. Now, this is probably a small number overall, but it's still a much larger rate of people acting this way than I can ever recall with any other Reds player or prospect in my time covering things. You'd think that people would remember when the signing deadline was August 15th and half of the first rounders literally didn't play almost every year because they signed late, or if they did play, it was to get 8 innings or 39 plate appearances. Or that grown men would understand that holding out and getting every last penny that you can from your employer who is going to do everything that they possibly can for the next 10 years of your career to not pay you what you are actually worth on the market is the best possible move.

But, sports make people act in incredibly irrational ways.

2. Likes:

cincyinco (09-16-2017),marcshoe (09-15-2017),Old school 1983 (09-16-2017),Raisor (09-15-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

If he finds success as a major league starter, Hunter Greene is going to be the most polarizing player in Reds history. I'm calling it now.

Why am I so confident while having absolutely zero knowledge of what his career will look like? Simple. He's a rich black man, and he's willing to talk about race in public. No matter what he does aside from that, the race issue will cloud the minds of a segment of Cincinnati, and those people will search for the smallest and most insignificant issues to blow up and rail against.

... This will not be fun...

5. Likes:

BillDoran (09-15-2017),Bourgeois Zee (09-18-2017),camisadelgolf (09-15-2017),IndianaRed (09-20-2017),Joey Blotto (09-15-2017),marcshoe (09-15-2017),membengal (09-15-2017),OhioRiverBarge (09-15-2017),RedsfaninMT (09-15-2017),RedTeamGo! (09-16-2017),Tom Servo (09-14-2017),WrongVerb (09-14-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    If he finds success as a major league starter, Hunter Greene is going to be the most polarizing player in Reds history. I'm calling it now.

Why am I so confident while having absolutely zero knowledge of what his career will look like? Simple. He's a rich black man, and he's willing to talk about race in public. No matter what he does aside from that, the race issue will cloud the minds of a segment of Cincinnati, and those people will search for the smallest and most insignificant issues to blow up and rail against.

That's pretty much my speculation, and you can see it already in some posts on this thread.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (09-18-2017)

Lol. I was wondering how many posts it would take.

Officially other board stuff now.

I see nothing that makes me think he won't be a good teammate. I tend to believe his goals extend beyond Cincinnati and that he will be a Red for perhaps four seasons before moving on to a big media market.

10. Likes:

Joseph (09-15-2017),REDREAD (09-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I see nothing that makes me think he won't be a good teammate. I tend to believe his goals extend beyond Cincinnati and that he will be a Red for perhaps four seasons before moving on to a big media market.
    THEN, we'll collectively hate him.

12. Likes:

Hoosier Red (09-15-2017),REDREAD (09-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Every player alive should have goals that extend beyond Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Every player alive should have goals that extend beyond Cincinnati.
    Does that extend to minor league writers as well?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Does that extend to minor league writers as well?
    Not really, no. The pay grade difference isn't the same as it is for athletes.

Not really, no. The pay grade difference isn't the same as it is for athletes.
    It should be.

Or at least should be enough to buy a decent RV.

17. Likes:

Hoosier Red (09-15-2017)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    I guess its just me but ......
    I'd say that about 99% of the time that someone says this, they are correct, it is just them.

But that's probably just me....

19. Likes:

Griffey012 (09-15-2017),Hoosier Red (09-15-2017),Raisor (09-15-2017)

Of course he posts on instagram all of the time. I'm guessing you aren't following other 17 or 18 year olds, are you?
    Not all of us are creepy
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

21. Likes:

Hoosier Red (09-15-2017)

Not really sure it is a race issue.. We had a white draftee a while ago.. It might have been Brandon Larson. Back then, the deadline to sign was the day college class started for the kid (or something like that.. but much later then now).
    People got really annoyed at this white kid because he could have signed right away and had the half season of rookie ball, but instead, he held out the the last minute of the deadline to gain a little more money.
    That is exactly what Greene did, but under the new system, it is worse. There was an opportunity cost. If Greene signed a few days earlier, we might have been able to sign another draftee. Hpwever, Dick Williams even said that they did not know if Greene was going to sign or not until about 5 minutes until the deadline.. The Reds had to make a stand with a take-it-or-leave it offer because Williams said that Greene kept trying to extract more money out of the Reds (and he did use the word extract). So, if Greene did not sign, the Reds lose his pool money, which prevented the Reds from having the chance to sign someone else.

It is a legitimate thing to complain about.. Now I doubt anyone will have a lifetime grudge over it.

Also.. many athletes crave attention too much.. Even non-black ones: Pete Rose, Steve Garvey, Jeter, ARod, etc. Lebron James is another example (although obviously he is black)
    It can get annoying regardless of race, especially when that player has not actually done anything. Heck, we have a whole society now where people follow tabloid celebrities, I can see
    why the athletes want to get in on that..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

23. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (09-15-2017)

I'm pretty sure Jeter qualifies as black (at least he does if our last president does).

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm pretty sure Jeter qualifies as black (at least he does if our last president does).
    He also qualifies as white.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?