Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/254004...icid=151437456
    Once Rosario exceeds 130 at-bats with New York, the 2017 season-ending Top 10 will line up like this: Torres, Robles, Blue Jays third baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Jimenez, Braves outfielder Ronald Acuna, Rodgers, Astros outfielder Kyle Tucker, Reds third baseman Nick Senzel, White Sox right-hander Michael Kopech and Dodgers righty Walker Buehler. (Keep in mind that we haven't reordered the prospects since mid-July; we simply move prospects up when others' rookie eligibility expires.)
    Erring on the side of many of baseball's brightest young talents continuing to ascend to the big leagues faster than expected, our assumption is that Torres, Guerrero and Rodgers will be the only 2018 holdovers from that group. If Torres wasn't recovering from Tommy John surgery on his non-throwing elbow and Colorado had a vacancy in its infield, Guerrero might be the lone repeater.
    8. Hunter Greene, RHP, Reds (No. 17)
    No. 2 overall pick in June generates triple-digit velocity more easily than any prep pitcher ever.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (09-14-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Callis predicts end of 2018 top ten

I worry if Greene looks too good too early and the hype train increases, the temptation to rush him will also increase.

5. Likes:

Joseph (09-15-2017),REDREAD (09-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I worry if Greene looks too good too early and the hype train increases, the temptation to rush him will also increase.
    True. That PR Train in two or three years is going to be mighty hard to resist. It would create a mighty big Cash Cow to bring in a 20 or 21 year-old phenom for a big major league debut weekend game.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

7. Likes:

REDREAD (09-14-2017)

I just hope he is actually performing at a level high enough to have major hype. Love the guys talent but he post on instagram like a teenage girl seeking attention.

Interesting that 3 of the top 5 are sons of former major leaguers.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    I just hope he is actually performing at a level high enough to have major hype. Love the guys talent but he post on instagram like a teenage girl seeking attention.
    He just turned 18-years-old. Of course he posts on instagram all of the time. I'm guessing you aren't following other 17 or 18 year olds, are you?

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-15-2017),membengal (09-14-2017),wolfboy (09-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'm guessing you aren't following other 17 or 18 year olds, are you?

13. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-15-2017),BillDoran (09-14-2017),camisadelgolf (09-14-2017),JaxRed (09-14-2017),kbrake (09-16-2017),Mitri (09-14-2017),nmculbreth (09-14-2017),PuffyPig (09-15-2017),Raisor (09-15-2017),reds44 (09-14-2017),RedsfaninMT (09-15-2017),redsmetz (09-20-2017),RiverRat13 (09-14-2017),Tom Servo (09-14-2017),TRF (09-25-2017),wolfboy (09-18-2017),WrongVerb (09-14-2017)

He's 18. Feel like his posting on the gram are much more normal than you paying attention to what a teenage boy posts on the gram.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

15. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-15-2017),bubbachunk (09-15-2017),membengal (09-14-2017)

He just turned 18-years-old. Of course he posts on instagram all of the time. I'm guessing you aren't following other 17 or 18 year olds, are you?
    Lol I am not. If all 18 year olds are posting pictures of just themselves with inspirational quotes then I feel sorry for this country. Just begging for attention.

Just for reference I'm 29 but have a 22 year old brother and none of our friends post stuff like Greene, at least not as much.

Lol I am not. If all 18 year olds are posting pictures of just themselves with inspirational quotes then I feel sorry for this country. Just begging for attention.

Just for reference I'm 29 but have a 22 year old brother and none of our friends post stuff like Greene, at least not as much.
    I bet none of them are running a business, either. He is. The business is him. Stay in the minds of people. It's worth a lot of money to be on the minds of people. Comparing him to non-famous people doesn't work. That Joe Nobody who works at Chipotle doesn't post a bunch of stuff on instagram isn't quite the same thing.

I just browsed his instagram out of curiosity. Are you sure you are following the right Hunter Greene? His Instagram posts are hardly any different than any other normal person, if anything it is quite the opposite of attention seeking, they seem like pretty humble posts.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I bet none of them are running a business, either. He is. The business is him. Stay in the minds of people. It's worth a lot of money to be on the minds of people. Comparing him to non-famous people doesn't work. That Joe Nobody who works at Chipotle doesn't post a bunch of stuff on instagram isn't quite the same thing.
    Look man, I know he is marketing himself, and I get those goofy "modeling pictures he put up. I am more so talking about the the volume of posts and cheesy quotes. But if I did want to compare him to other people, would you agree that Mackenzi Gore and Royce lewis would be a good place to start? Probably so. Their instagrams are way more in line with what I would consider most people, or even most athletes.
    I guess its just me but I would never give someone my camera and say hey man, take a picture of me sitting in this golf cart by myself, during the middle of a round. That just shouts insecurity to me.
    Oh well, like I said, hopefully he is good enough where his play trumps anything else. Unfortunately, he shut his high school career down so we only got to see like 7 innings from him his year.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Look man, I know he is marketing himself, and I get those goofy "modeling pictures he put up. I am more so talking about the the volume of posts and cheesy quotes. But if I did want to compare him to other people, would you agree that Mackenzi Gore and Royce lewis would be a good place to start? Probably so. Their instagrams are way more in line with what I would consider most people, or even most athletes.
    I guess its just me but I would never give someone my camera and say hey man, take a picture of me sitting in this golf cart by myself, during the middle of a round. That just shouts insecurity to me.
    Oh well, like I said, hopefully he is good enough where his play trumps anything else. Unfortunately, he shut his high school career down so we only got to see like 7 innings from him his year.
    First it's his posts. Now it's his million dollar arm preservation. Is there anything positive you can say about this delightful young man?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I think those guys are a little bit better than some random person you know, but they probably aren't in the same place as Hunter Greene is, either. Greene has 12x the followers on instagram than Lewis and 8X as many as Gore. Different kind of product.

And we must live different lives and know very different kinds of people. You're critiquing a dude because he had a photo taken of him in a golf cart and put in on instagram as if it's telling of ANYTHING. That's far more strange to me than the idea that a guy had a photo of him in a golf cart. One of those seems way more normal to me.

I don't care how big a doosh Greene is on social media so long as he can pitch and/or hit.

23. Likes:

BoxingRed (09-15-2017),butsch16 (09-14-2017),RedsfaninMT (09-15-2017)

Turn Off Ads?