Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Three things the Reds need

Three things the Reds need

I think he makes excellent points. Agree? Disagree?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ti-reds-3.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

BillDoran (09-15-2017),Ron Madden (09-17-2017),TRF (09-19-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Three things the Reds need

Agree with 1 and 2. I've been on board with 2 for a while even though I know it's unpopular. But there's a reason you want to trade at peak value and not when you've soured on a guy a bit.

3, I waffle back and forth on. I'm absolutely not tendering a QO but I would see what numbers might work on bringing him back for 1-2 years if he's interested.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-14-2017),kpresidente (09-15-2017)

I think Iglesias would bring a lot more at the July trade deadline than he would during the off-season.

I, like Tom, go back and forth on Cozart. But they might make him a QO but tell him playing time isn't guaranteed after Senzel comes up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm certain you had something of a point in your head when you posted the above, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think he makes excellent points. Agree? Disagree?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ti-reds-3.html
    Kind of a pedestrian prescription, IMO. They're obviously going to give any number of young pitchers their chances. They could move a couple of those young arms and still be in the youth pitching business. Seems like a lot of folks on this board have recognized that shopping the Demon's Head makes sense. This suggestion probably has more of a buzz outside the circle of obsessive Reds fans. Also, shopping Iglesias is more of notion than a need. Like, their immediate future doesn't hinge on it.

And saying farewell to Cozart is probably a given. How the IF stacks up afterward is the big question. The article dhoesn't really answer what they might need to make it all come together.
    Wait until the year after next year.

I wholeheartedly agree with 1. With the three returning injured pitchers and Castillo, Stephenson, Romano, Mahle, and Garrett odds are good that they will find five starters. Maybe sign a vet cheaply for back of the rotation insurance.

I would listen to offers on Iglesias, but the offer would have to be very good. The ups and downs of young starters will require a deep pen. I think 2018 success hinges on the bullpen. Even though Iggy has a favorable contract, it does not make sense to trade from greatest need. Spend for one good reliever, convert two of Reed, Stephens, and Davis, and fill out two spots with in-house candidates, and inexpensive free agents.

The Cozart situation is tough. There are young SS's around that are capable of taking ground balls on the outfield grass behind second, throwing across their body, and getting an out at first. I'm not sure even Cozart could do that anymore. I seriously doubt that Suarez or Peraza could. Potentially, the Reds have two 3B's and three 2B's, but no SS. I differ from many on the board in that I am less willing to sacrifice up the middle defense for more offense. May have to bite the bullet on the QO.

I think the Trade Rumors writer sees 2018 as continuing the rebuild. I see it as competing for a wild card. If I believed 2018 was a lost cause, I would have agreed with him on trading Iglesias and letting Cozart go.

3 Things the Reds need:

1. A Number one Starter
    2. A Number 2 Starter
    3. A Lights out set-up man

This team has a line-up with 6 guys with 20+ HR all of whom have an OPS+ above 100. The seventh regular player has an OPS+ of 96 and is a defensive wiz behind the plate. The other regular player is, IMO, the best defensive OF in the game and probably the best baserunner. This team as a whole is the best defensive team in baseball. Still, with all of that going for them, they currently have the 5th worst record in the big leagues during an era where about half the teams in the sport are tanking as hard as they can.

There is absolutely no question what this team needs. If you see it differently, you are squinting too hard.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

10. Likes:

AlaskaReds (09-14-2017),Hoosier Red (09-14-2017),Kingspoint (09-20-2017),KYExtemper (09-17-2017),podgejeff_ (09-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Kind of a pedestrian prescription, IMO. They're obviously going to give any number of young pitchers their chances. They could move a couple of those young arms and still be in the youth pitching business. Seems like a lot of folks on this board have recognized that shopping the Demon's Head makes sense. This suggestion probably has more of a buzz outside the circle of obsessive Reds fans. Also, shopping Iglesias is more of notion than a need. Like, their immediate future doesn't hinge on it.

And saying farewell to Cozart is probably a given. How the IF stacks up afterward is the big question. The article dhoesn't really answer what they might need to make it all come together.
    Perhaps but if you have a headache taking aspirin is a pedestrian but effective way to relieve the pain. I see Iglesias in the same situation as Chapman was in. The longer the Reds hold on to him, the more his value declines. Whether it's innings on his arm or dollars on his contract the less attractive he is going to be to other teams. A clone of Iglesias that just came up from AAA would be worth more now than the original. Now, that's not to say you have to let him go for pennies on the dollar but if he is going to be traded, he needs to bring back more than Chapman did.

I'm not as sure as you are that Cozart's gone. It would be a very Reds thing to do. I mistakenly believed he would be able to bring back some value in a trade. If he were brought back with the QO, I fail to see how that makes him more attractive. Maybe if he put up similar numbers as he has this year he'd be more attractive. But he could also come back and hurt himself again.

I have a hunch - and that's all it is - that Dick will make some trades over the winter that will be controversial. Of course any trade is controversial around here but I'm talking Lee May-Joe Morgan controversial. If they do happen I certainly hope they work out as well for the Reds as that one did.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

12. Likes:

redsmetz (09-19-2017)

Getting Hamilton out of the lead off spot is the elephant in the room for this organization. Price's unwillingness to address this is only one of many reasons why I wanted him gone.

Now we are looking squarely at having both Hamilton and Peraza starting together in 2018. You can't win with both of them in the starting 8 in a juiced ball era.
    Reds record with me in attendance: 1-9. Worse than Bryan Price.

14. Likes:

BillDoran (09-15-2017),Kingspoint (09-20-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

1. A minor league writer on their payroll.
    2. See #1.
    3. A trustworthy starting pitcher heading into 2018.

IN THAT ORDER.

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-20-2017),NC Reds (09-13-2017),Old school 1983 (09-15-2017),TRF (09-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    1. A minor league writer on their payroll.
    2. See #1.
    3. A trustworthy starting pitcher heading into 2018.

IN THAT ORDER.
    Don't sell out to The Man, Doug!
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Don't sell out to The Man, Doug!
    Health insurance is a very important thing that I'd like to have. Oh, and they probably pay way better than what I currently pay myself. Probably by double.

Considering the market for shortstops Cozart will not do well in free agency IMO...too many unanswered questions and risks. I think he maxes out at 1 year for $15-$16mm or 2 years at $30M...and that's being generous. I can't see a team offering him 3+ years at this level of compensation.
    Last edited by DocRed; 09-13-2017 at 09:42 PM.

I have a hunch - and that's all it is - that Dick will make some trades over the winter that will be controversial. Of course any trade is controversial around here but I'm talking Lee May-Joe Morgan controversial. If they do happen I certainly hope they work out as well for the Reds as that one did.
    I would love for that to go down. I sincerely doubt it will, but I'm all for it.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    Getting Hamilton out of the lead off spot is the elephant in the room for this organization. Price's unwillingness to address this is only one of many reasons why I wanted him gone.

Now we are looking squarely at having both Hamilton and Peraza starting together in 2018. You can't win with both of them in the starting 8 in a juiced ball era.
    I've been a proponent of Hamilton in the 9th spot since the beginning and have been a proponent of Peraza as a bench player, but if those things are the Elephant in the room, then the rotation and the bullpen are the Dinosaur and the Whale in the room. Clearly the team's two biggest problems are 1. Starting pitching and 2. Relief Pitching. They could replace Cozart with A-Rod in his prime and stick Mike Trout in place of Hamilton in CF and this would still be a bottom 5 team without a fix to the pitching staff.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

22. Likes:

BillDoran (09-15-2017),Revering4Blue (09-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    3 Things the Reds need:

1. A Number one Starter
    2. A Number 2 Starter
    3. A Lights out set-up man

This team has a line-up with 6 guys with 20+ HR all of whom have an OPS+ above 100. The seventh regular player has an OPS+ of 96 and is a defensive wiz behind the plate. The other regular player is, IMO, the best defensive OF in the game and probably the best baserunner. This team as a whole is the best defensive team in baseball. Still, with all of that going for them, they currently have the 5th worst record in the big leagues during an era where about half the teams in the sport are tanking as hard as they can.

There is absolutely no question what this team needs. If you see it differently, you are squinting too hard.
    This seems pretty spot on to me, fix the rotation/bullpen and the record will be fixed. Easier said than done I suppose

Turn Off Ads?