Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 181 to 191 of 191

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

  1. #181
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,753

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I got that feeling, too. There were too many philosophical asides and not much of a focus.
    I've noticed a trend, maybe since Lost even, that some shows are so concerned with wowing you with the climax that they kind of forget to make a decent television show, and I think that's happened with Westworld.

    Someday maybe I'll revisit it when it's completely over, and I imagine it'll be a semi-decent enough way to spend a weekend, but I'm out for now.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #182
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,847

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    That finale was terrible. I'm actually friends with an actor/actress on the show and, prior to the finale, they told me they themselves thought the first 7-8 episodes were bad and they were bummed at where the show has gone. They said the last few were back on track (I agree) so I was hoping it'd end strong. This was Matrix sequels level of stupidity masquerading as "deep" philosophy. The finale actually multiplied how terrible everything has been and I'm out if season 3 doesn't improve immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Guys, just stop arguing with him. He will literally never stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Larry is living the role of the underachiever who's still struggling to get a life so he spends hours upon hours posting worthless bilge on the 'net
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo!
    I think those are just two separate quotes and not meant to be taken together.

  4. Likes:

    Redsfaithful (06-26-2018)

  5. #183
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,753

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    That finale was terrible. I'm actually friends with an actor/actress on the show and, prior to the finale, they told me they themselves thought the first 7-8 episodes were bad and they were bummed at where the show has gone. They said the last few were back on track (I agree) so I was hoping it'd end strong. This was Matrix sequels level of stupidity masquerading as "deep" philosophy. The finale actually multiplied how terrible everything has been and I'm out if season 3 doesn't improve immediately.
    I think I said this earlier in the thread but I got way too excited over the Bicameral Mind stuff in season 1 and so I gave it way too long a leash in season 2. It's a bummer, feel like they could tell nearly the same story and just change structure and it would be more fun. It's a great cast and concept, so I hate seeing it run into the ground like this.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

  6. #184
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,847

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I think I said this earlier in the thread but I got way too excited over the Bicameral Mind stuff in season 1 and so I gave it way too long a leash in season 2. It's a bummer, feel like they could tell nearly the same story and just change structure and it would be more fun. It's a great cast and concept, so I hate seeing it run into the ground like this.
    The first episode of season 3 of Rick and Morty handled the 'consciousness hopping into different bodies' switcheroo in a more thoughtful and entertaining way and it's a silly cartoon. I just don't know who that finale was for? It felt put together with the same level of thought and decision-making as I put into making a sundae at Yogurtland. "I can walk away now with a decent two-flavor yogurt sundae with two toppings OR I CAN TURN OFF MY RESTRAINT AND DUMP A SWIRL OF EVERY FLAVOR AND A SCOOP OF EVERY TOPPING INTO THIS ABOMINATION THAT WILL TASTE DISGUSTING."
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Guys, just stop arguing with him. He will literally never stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Larry is living the role of the underachiever who's still struggling to get a life so he spends hours upon hours posting worthless bilge on the 'net
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo!
    I think those are just two separate quotes and not meant to be taken together.

  7. Likes:

    Redsfaithful (07-05-2018)

  8. #185
    Member DatRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Jasonville, IN
    Posts
    213

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    I'm VERY,VERY late to the SOA party but just started season 3....no clue what took me so damn long, guess life,work and so much...lol

  9. #186
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,753

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Hannah Gadsby's Nanette, streaming on Netflix - there aren't really words. It starts sort of slow, but by the end - I haven't been this blown away by anything maybe ever.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

  10. Likes:

    BuckeyeRed27 (07-11-2018)

  11. #187
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,847

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Hannah Gadsby's Nanette, streaming on Netflix - there aren't really words. It starts sort of slow, but by the end - I haven't been this blown away by anything maybe ever.
    Yeah. You have to get through the mid-point or else you'll confuse the hype around it as praise for a pretty decent standup special when it is much more–there is a turn that happens around halfway that is a surprise. You hear comedians touch on whether comedy is truly serving them in interviews or outside of their "act" but no one has put their money where their mouth is like Gadsby does here. It's a really fascinating deconstruction and indictment of comedy within an actual comedy special. I think that impact you feel at the end is because she doesn't let the air out of the balloon by serving the need to end on a joke and 'release the tension' (as she says). You leave it with the same weight that you feel during the build up.
    Last edited by Larry Schuler; 07-11-2018 at 04:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Guys, just stop arguing with him. He will literally never stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Larry is living the role of the underachiever who's still struggling to get a life so he spends hours upon hours posting worthless bilge on the 'net
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo!
    I think those are just two separate quotes and not meant to be taken together.

  12. Likes:

    Redsfaithful (07-11-2018)

  13. #188
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,753

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Yeah. You have to get through the mid-point or else you'll confuse the hype around it as praise for a pretty decent standup special when it is much more–there is a turn that happens around halfway that is a surprise. You hear comedians touch on whether comedy is truly serving them in interviews or outside of their "act" but no one has put their money where their mouth is like Gadsby does here. It's a really fascinating deconstruction and indictment of comedy within an actual comedy special. I think that impact you feel at the end is because she doesn't let the air out of the balloon by serving the need to end on a joke and 'release the tension' (as she says). You leave it with the same weight that you feel during the build up.
    I'm still processing the next day, but this is great. I'm finding I truly can't even talk about it yet. One thing I can say as a deep fan of stand up is that it's a master class in so many ways. So many.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

  14. #189
    Make America Stupid Again RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,703

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Well, it's a commercial, but it's on TV. So......


    The new Geico soccer slide commercial.

    Genius
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

  15. Likes:

    Chip R (07-15-2018),M2 (Yesterday),TRF (Today)

  16. #190
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,325

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I'm still processing the next day, but this is great. I'm finding I truly can't even talk about it yet. One thing I can say as a deep fan of stand up is that it's a master class in so many ways. So many.
    Yeah, that one will stick with you for a while.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  17. #191
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    18,099

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Cloak and Dagger is really good. A very nice slowly developed origin story. As good as Runaways and The Gifted.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator