Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

Watchmen is so good. I guess I'm here for whatever Lindelof wants to do - The Leftovers is one of my favorite all time things, and now this (and I loved Lost, even the ending).

Anyway, it's wild how much more this feels like Watchmen than the Zach Snyder movie.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Jack Ryan ---> Season 1 was a lot better than season 2.

My netflix list would look completely different, I think they are beginning to put out a lot of good content - which they needed to do with Disney starting streaming services.
    I thought they were both quite good, and I was a holdout, just watching them both recently. Season 2 looks a bit prescient with what’s been going on elsewhere in Latin America (Equador).

I didn’t mean to imply this was my exhaustive Netflix list, as I was trying to praise the shows I didn’t remember praising in the past. I may have talked before about Stranger Things, OZark, Peaky Blinders, The Crown, Series of Unfortunate Events, season 1 of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Daredevil, Glow.

Also like the Remastered documentaries
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Shows deserving props that I don't remember praising on one of these threads

Amazon Prime
    Undone
    Jack Ryan
    The Boys
    Mr. Robot (a USA Series. But all seasons except this one are on Prime now)
    Good Omens
    Goliath

PBS
    Endeavour
    Mrs. Wilson
    Grantchester

HBO
    True Detective Season 1 and 3

Netflix
    Russian Doll
    Mindhunter
    Riverdale
    Collateral
    Umbrella Academy
    Loved Mindhunter (s1 mostly) on Netflix and kinda like Jack Ryan on Prime...really like Bosch tho. But how does Dark not make this list? IMO the best show on Netflix by a country mile. It's so good, but with subs not dubs.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Watchmen is so good. I guess I'm here for whatever Lindelof wants to do - The Leftovers is one of my favorite all time things, and now this (and I loved Lost, even the ending).

Anyway, it's wild how much more this feels like Watchmen than the Zach Snyder movie.
    Loved the first two episodes.

I despised the third so much that I’ve been apprehensive about sitting down for a few hours and watching the rest. I’m hoping it’s closer in tone and self-awareness to the first two episodes. When a Lindelof show is being weird with a loose grasp, like Leftovers seasons 2 and 3, it’s phenomenal. When it tries too hard to force ‘cool’ characters and ‘clever writer’ one-liners, it can be torture for me (see some of Leftovers season 1). It feels like the writer is trying desperately to approximate the facade of humor or cleverness instead of letting the characters and situations exist. All that said, I read some reviews where people say they loved the third episode so I could be on my own island with how irritating it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Loved the first two episodes.

I despised the third so much that I’ve been apprehensive about sitting down for a few hours and watching the rest. I’m hoping it’s closer in tone and self-awareness to the first two episodes. When a Lindelof show is being weird with a loose grasp, like Leftovers seasons 2 and 3, it’s phenomenal. When it tries too hard to force ‘cool’ characters and ‘clever writer’ one-liners, it can be torture for me (see some of Leftovers season 1). It feels like the writer is trying desperately to approximate the facade of humor or cleverness instead of letting the characters and situations exist. All that said, I read some reviews where people say they loved the third episode so I could be on my own island with how irritating it was.
    Episode 3 was where I decided the show was great, so it could just be a taste thing. Was this mostly about Laurie's dialogue? I have to admit I like her character.

They call me "chef"

Episode 3 was where I decided the show was great, so it could just be a taste thing. Was this mostly about Laurie's dialogue? I have to admit I like her character.
    The framing device of her telling that story/joke was irritating to me. It seemed like something that would have worked better in a graphic novel than on screen on it's feet. It also seemed like a mediocre choice a worse show would make. I don't really mind the character though, as they seemed self-aware enough to quickly pair her with other characters who challenge her facade and she'd be fun to watch in the world they set up.

There were also some heavy-handed one liners with the FBI scenes and the Ozymandias stuff finally started to become obtuse/withholding to the point of annoyance for me. It reminded me of the Leftovers' first season where it confused coyness for developing intrigue. It's probably dumb to even list my complaints now that there's like 4 more episodes that could address all of them but I stand firm in my feelings on those elements of the 3rd episode. Regina King, as always, is great and I still enjoyed the stuff set in the main location/world.

The framing device of her telling that story/joke was irritating to me. It seemed like something that would have worked better in a graphic novel than on screen on it's feet. It also seemed like a mediocre choice a worse show would make. I don't really mind the character though, as they seemed self-aware enough to quickly pair her with other characters who challenge her facade and she'd be fun to watch in the world they set up.

There were also some heavy-handed one liners with the FBI scenes and the Ozymandias stuff finally started to become obtuse/withholding to the point of annoyance for me. It reminded me of the Leftovers' first season where it confused coyness for developing intrigue. It's probably dumb to even list my complaints now that there's like 4 more episodes that could address all of them but I stand firm in my feelings on those elements of the 3rd episode. Regina King, as always, is great and I still enjoyed the stuff set in the main location/world.
    I love Regina King, she really is outstanding.

I assume you've read Watchmen? The framing of that episode felt deeply like an issue of Watchmen. They are doing other stuff now that parallels other aspects, it's so interesting.

9. Likes:

M2 (11-27-2019),RiverRat13 (11-27-2019)

I assume you've read Watchmen? The framing of that episode felt deeply like an issue of Watchmen. They are doing other stuff now that parallels other aspects, it's so interesting.
    Exactly. That's where I really felt it really became "The Watchmen" and not a show playing with Watchmen IP. Lindelof channeled Alan Moore there (and, I would argue has been doing so pretty heavily since that episode).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

RiverRat13 (11-27-2019)

I think The Watchmen has been brilliant.

They call me "chef"

4th episode of Watchmen was a huge rebound on the Larry Schuler Quality Scale from episode 3. Much less posturing and much more fun and humorous and ridiculous.

4th episode of Watchmen was a huge rebound on the Larry Schuler Quality Scale from episode 3. Much less posturing and much more fun and humorous and ridiculous.
    So, you've still got three episodes to catch up on?

They call me "chef"

Tis the case.

Tis the case.
    Wait until Baby Yoda shows up. It will blow your mind.

17. Likes:

WrongVerb (12-09-2019)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Wait until Baby Yoda shows up. It will blow your mind.
    Just got to this ep. Wow. Steve Carrell is unrecognizable in the role.

19. Likes:

M2 (12-09-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Took up Peaky Blinders last week and I have no idea why I waited so long.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

21. Likes:

Boston Red (12-09-2019),cincinnati chili (12-10-2019),RiverRat13 (12-15-2019),ScotlandRed (12-09-2019)

Turn Off Ads?