Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 192

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

  1. #31
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I don't know how you guys can watch that for the sole reason that McFarlane is the worst actor outside of direct to cable/Netflix type productions working today. I could maybe ignore all the other issues with him writing it, but I absolutely can't watch him on screen, he's terrible.
    Mark Hamill is a terrible actor.

    Seth is surprisingly relaxed in this setting. Not stilted or over performed at all. Believe me, I was surprised.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,562

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Mark Hamill is a terrible actor..
    Take it back! Mark Hamill is a saint!
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  4. Likes:

    Caveat Emperor (09-27-2017),marcshoe (09-27-2017)

  5. #33
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,753

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Mark Hamill is a terrible actor.

    Seth is surprisingly relaxed in this setting. Not stilted or over performed at all. Believe me, I was surprised.
    Oof I'd take Hamill over McFarlane every day, but it's interesting to hear Seth is doing better here.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

  6. #34
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    13,429

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I don't know how you guys can watch that for the sole reason that McFarlane is the worst actor outside of direct to cable/Netflix type productions working today. I could maybe ignore all the other issues with him writing it, but I absolutely can't watch him on screen, he's terrible.
    He's (smartly) let a lot of the ensemble cast do the heavy lifting thus far.

    Plus, I think he's probably been pretending to be a Starfleet captain for most of his life. That has to help.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

  7. Likes:

    TRF (09-27-2017)

  8. #35
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Take it back! Mark Hamill is a saint!
    I didn't say he wasn't a nice guy.

    Just that if he died tomorrow is corpse would be accused of over acting.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

  9. #36
    Moderator JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    11,638

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    A couple notes from recent TV. The first season of the Good Place was tremendously original. Complete with twist at the end. I was concerned that they could not keep that level of originality up. I've now watched 2 episodes, and while I enjoyed them, it hasn't been the same so far. I heard some speculation on this years spoiler, and I think it may be right, which of course lessens the fun. They had dropped hints about the spoiler last year, and I caught a reference to the speculated spoiler already this year.

    Looked forward to catching the revival of Will and Grace. Was very disappointed. Even with a great cast and great chemistry, if a show doesn't have writers it's in trouble. This show had to explain how they were back together in the same situation after (apparently...I didn't remember it), a finale previously which had showed a quite different future. The way they did it was totally lacking in imagination. They basically just stood there and did a monologue.

    But then the show started..... the entire half hour was essentially two jokes done over and over. Joke one - Trump. Joke 2 - Gay sexual innuendo/entendre. Over and Over and Over and Over. Essentially no plot. Nothing inventive. I've read some reviews that said the same thing. Those professional reviewers have had access to the first 3 episodes and most say the subsequent episodes were better. It got great ratings (of course it was heavily promoted), and NBC has already okayed Season 2 before a single episode aired. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

    Saw the opening episode of The Good Doctor. I was left kind of unsure about how I felt about it. Shows based on a gimmick always have to move beyond the gimmick and be good on their own. The medical scenes were good but how many times will they be able to play the "he's sees things no one else sees" card? And the boardroom debate on whether to hire him was bad. At the end of group of people who voted overwhelmingly to fire him, kept him after a speech in which he sounded totally incompetent. "My bunny went to heaven".

    I plan to catch some of the other premiers.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  10. #37
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    11,419

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    How are people liking The Deuce? I love the period re-creation aspect of it. It feels like the dirty, old town NYC used to be. I'm not sure I care about what's happening or anyone it's happening to yet, though it's not like there's any glaring flaws. I like the writing and the acting, but the characters feel a little small. I understand things are happening in NYC in this story, but are these the people the center of that story or are they peripheral? As a contrast, I never once asked that question while watching The Get Down.
    I would watch it if I had HBO. I trust David Simon with any subject matter. My wife has never seen athe Wire, and I look forward to reliving that someday
    Mack Jenkins's Pants

  11. #38
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    35,975

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    You're the Worst turned Aya Cash up to 11 this week.
    Wait until the year after next year.

  12. Likes:

    BuckeyeRed27 (10-03-2017),Chip R (10-09-2017),dougdirt (10-02-2017)

  13. #39
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    13,429

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    I really liked the new Trek: Discovery episode — but the entire vibe of the show feels more like Mass Effect: The TV Adventures than Star Trek.

    Maybe that’s a good thing.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

  14. #40
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,325

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Has anyone watched Show Me a Hero on hbo? I've heard it was really good but it's not one you hear a lot about.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  15. #41
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    39,086

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    A couple notes from recent TV. The first season of the Good Place was tremendously original. Complete with twist at the end. I was concerned that they could not keep that level of originality up. I've now watched 2 episodes, and while I enjoyed them, it hasn't been the same so far. I heard some speculation on this years spoiler, and I think it may be right, which of course lessens the fun. They had dropped hints about the spoiler last year, and I caught a reference to the speculated spoiler already this year.

    Looked forward to catching the revival of Will and Grace. Was very disappointed. Even with a great cast and great chemistry, if a show doesn't have writers it's in trouble. This show had to explain how they were back together in the same situation after (apparently...I didn't remember it), a finale previously which had showed a quite different future. The way they did it was totally lacking in imagination. They basically just stood there and did a monologue.

    But then the show started..... the entire half hour was essentially two jokes done over and over. Joke one - Trump. Joke 2 - Gay sexual innuendo/entendre. Over and Over and Over and Over. Essentially no plot. Nothing inventive. I've read some reviews that said the same thing. Those professional reviewers have had access to the first 3 episodes and most say the subsequent episodes were better. It got great ratings (of course it was heavily promoted), and NBC has already okayed Season 2 before a single episode aired. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    The 3rd/4th episode of The Good place last week was pretty fun. Gotta trust Ken Tremendous.

    Agree 100% about W&G. It was very hackneyed. Didn't watch it last week cause of baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

  16. #42
    Moderator JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    11,638

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    In this week's Good Place the Jacksonville Jaguars got of bit of a shout out.....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l59ItK6d-wQ

    Still enjoying it but not as much as last year. Second episode of W&G was certainly better. Sean Hayes and Megan Mullally are funnier than Will and Grace. So when episodes feature them more I think they are better.

    Have watched and liked Wisdom of the Crowd thru 2 episodes. I thought the final bit of the mystery being solved (no spoilers) was stretching the concept a bit. So I hope they don't go dry too quickly.

    Heard some recommendations about Kevin almost Save the World. It stars John Ritter's kid. He bothered me a bit. It was almost like he was impersonating his dad. But the sister, niece and especially the "Warrior for God" are very likeable. Will give it another look-see.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  17. Likes:

    Chip R (10-10-2017)

  18. #43
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    I want to like "The Good Place" more than I do. It's a good premise, I like the cast and writers, but I feel like I'm still waiting for it to actually be funny.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  19. #44
    Member marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Worlds best left undiscovered.
    Posts
    8,689

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    I enjoyed last season, but I don't feel like it's hit a groove yet this season. It's tough to change the dynamic as drastically as they did, even while leaving the characters, setting, and ostensible premise in place.
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

  20. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    3,448

    Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part III

    With all the great new, original TV being made now, why all the remakes of shows from the past? Do we really need Full House, Roseanne and Will & Grace again? If you like those shows, watch their reruns.

    Granted, I just watched and really enjoyed the first season of an Anne of Green Gables remake, so I guess I'm complicit.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator