Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Maria

Re: Hurricane Maria

If it were somewhere else, it would be restored much sooner. But PR is bankrupt, maintenance to the grid was ignored for years, and any skilled tradesmen and engineers left long ago. Similar to how US utility companies move en masse to areas that are hit by natural disasters, I can see us moving a few thousand utility trucks and workers there and putting them back together, because they aren't up to the task.

edit: Doug read my mind.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have college friends down there, a married couple with two sons who were transferred there because the husband is in the Coast Guard. They're probably in one of the better situations because they're in a base house made of concrete to withstand this sort of thing (if that's possible). One of their friends reported on FB that all Coast Guard personnel are safe and sound but still no direct word from my friends.

Waiting to hear...
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I understand that it takes time to do that. But 3-6 months is not acceptable. The mainland here needs to find a way to send qualified people, and supplies to Puerto Rico and take care of this. Those are Americans down there.
    Dude, I know you mean well, but that's pretty much ridiculous.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Dude, I know you mean well, but that's pretty much ridiculous.
    What is ridiculous precisely?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Their entire infrastructure is devastated. Roads, bridges, the entire power grid. Six months to get it all back online is optimistic.

They don't have any place for the disaster victims or relief workers as it is. It's a difficult place to operate on a normal day. Nearly every building on the island was affected to some extent.

And, we're a long way from the end of hurricane season, with favorable conditions for more storms.

There's a reason they call it a disaster.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Their entire infrastructure is devastated. Roads, bridges, the entire power grid. Six months to get it all back online is optimistic.

They don't have any place for the disaster victims or relief workers as it is. It's a difficult place to operate on a normal day. Nearly every building on the island was affected to some extent.

And, we're a long way from the end of hurricane season, with favorable conditions for more storms.

There's a reason they call it a disaster.
    You find a way. This is America, not some third world country. How many people are going to die down there compared to how it would be if that were South Florida? If that were South Florida I bet you it wouldn't take 6 months to get people power back.

I understand that it takes time to do that. But 3-6 months is not acceptable. The mainland here needs to find a way to send qualified people, and supplies to Puerto Rico and take care of this. Those are Americans down there.
    After the 98 Ice Storm, Quebec had to rebuild a large area of the power grid. Took weeks, in the middle of winter for all power to be restored.
    http://www.iclr.org/icestorm98engineering.html
    More than 120,000 kilometers of transmission and distribution lines – enough to circle the globe three times – were pulled down by the weight of the ice and by falling trees and branches. Over 900 pylons and 128 transmission lines were affected by the storm. Damage was so extensive that in such places as the Triangle of Darkness (see Figure 5) it wasn’t a case of repairing the damage, but rebuilding much of the power grid from the ground up. (Utility officials estimated February 2, 1998 that as much as 40 per cent of the power transmission infrastructure in the area bordered by Saint-Hyacinthe, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu and Granby was damaged or destroyed.) What took more than 50 years to create was destroyed in less than one week.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/qu...grid-1.2890371
    Buried power lines may be protected from ice and pesky tree branches, but they are more vulnerable to flooding. Like overhead lines, they're not immune to more general equipment failure — and when a problem does occur, it can be harder to identify and repair.

Not only that, but the U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates that underground power lines can cost up five to 10 times more than overhead distribution lines.

But yes, they need to send in an army of workers and probably the army as well.

I agree with Doug- it shouldn't (and it won't) take 3 to 6 months. If they get the equipment and people there, at a minimum they will get enough lines up to provide basic necessities like water and sanitation in a few weeks. The key is not to treat the island like a red headed stepchild, and treat it just like we would the mainland.

You find a way. This is America, not some third world country. How many people are going to die down there compared to how it would be if that were South Florida? If that were South Florida I bet you it wouldn't take 6 months to get people power back.
    Sounds pretty easy.

You think there isn't an army getting ready to go in there right now?

On top of the army of relief workers still in Texas and Florida.

"you find a way" shows you have a good heart, Doug. The things you're talking about aren't as easy as throwing money at it.

Electricity isn't first on the list. Shelter, water, waste disposal, food. That's first.

Regarding Florida, it will be months before all of the homeowners even see an insurance adjuster. And the level of devastation in Puerto Rico is exponentially greater than Florida and Texas. On top of the difficulty operating there, especially once you get out of the urban centers.

I work in the insurance IT biz. We have a hold on any system or application changes or updates to our systems so Claims has access 24x7.

It will make life tough on us IT wonks after we can finally get moving again. It's hard enough to keep up in the best of times working nights and weekends on top of a 40 hr week job. But then I see what people are going through and I shut up.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Electricity isn't first on the list. Shelter, water, waste disposal, food. That's first.
    You can't do any of that without electricity. It's got to be job one. I'm guessing the National Guard will step in soon to provide security and coordinate resources. Things will move quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    You can't do any of that without electricity. It's got to be job one. I'm guessing the National Guard will step in soon to provide security and coordinate resources. Things will move quickly.
    Of course the National Guard will be there. They always are.

I don't think you guys understand how bad it is there. "Things will move quickly".

Getting the entire grid up in 6 months after what happened there is beyond "quickly".

And what are you restoring electricity to? Flooded out and destroyed homes and shacks?

It's not just running new lines. The ENTIRE system is down. The guys you're imagining sending as an army down there tomorrow are still doing all they can in Florida.

Reality distortion feels good in times like these. I know your hearts are in the right place, and I applaud that.

But you're making statements based on, I don't know, your desire to make sure we don't treat them like "red headed stepchildren".

We won't. Every single discipline in the disaster relief community will throw everything we've got there, in the US Virgin Islands, continuing in Florida and Texas, and wherever the next one hits.

Again, I'm glad you support the effort. But you're expressing unrealistic expectations.
    Last edited by RFS62; 09-21-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Of course the National Guard will be there. They always are.

I don't think you guys understand how bad it is there. "Things will move quickly".

Getting the entire grid up in 6 months after what happened there is beyond "quickly".

And what are you restoring electricity to? Flooded out and destroyed homes and shacks?

It's not just running new lines. The ENTIRE system is down. The guys you're imagining sending as an army down there tomorrow are still doing all they can in Florida.

Reality distortion feels good in times like these. I know your hearts are in the right place, and I applaud that.

But you're making statements based on, I don't know, your desire to make sure we don't treat them like "red headed stepchildren".

We won't. Every single discipline in the disaster relief community will throw everything we've got there, in the US Virgin Islands, continuing in Florida and Texas, and wherever the next one hits.

Again, I'm glad you support the effort. But you're expressing unrealistic expectations.
    I understand fully the scope of the project. The individual homes will be the last to have electricity restored, but lines will still have to be pulled throughout the country to power water pumps, sewage treatment plants, refrigerated warehouses, food processing plants, etc, etc.

Again, if this happened to Massachusetts, it wouldn't take six months. And it won't take six months there either.

The six months prediction came from the government of Puerto Rico, not me. And comparing the topography, infrastructure, assets on the ground, and everything else about life in Massachusetts to Puerto Rico is solid evidence of how little you know about the world of disaster relief. Again, I applaud you guys for your intentions. I just got back from looking at claims in Florida today. Monday I'm headed back to Houston. Once temporary housing is available, I'll be headed to either Puerto Rico or St. Johns. I'll make sure to check in and find out what you guys have decided should be going on.
    Again, I applaud your good intentions.

17. Likes:

WrongVerb (09-22-2017)

Turn Off Ads?