Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Maria

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Hurricane Maria

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's a little more than that. If we really want to discuss this gal's twitter posts, watch how fast this thread gets moved
    No one wants to discuss her posts. We are discussing one post. You went out of your way to try and bring the others into it.

2. Likes:

Dom Heffner (10-09-2017),Redsfaithful (09-30-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Posting Twitter feeds from a gal who says this:

I don't know. How could that possibly be political?
    Facts aren't political. They are facts.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No one wants to discuss her posts. We are discussing one post. You went out of your way to try and bring the others into it.
    If that's the case then it was a poor choice to bring her into the conversation at all

If that's the case then it was a poor choice to bring her into the conversation at all
    You're probably correct. Because we all know that you can't have a point that is valid if you've made invalid points in the past about something.

I'm going to go drink some bleach.

7. Likes:

dabvu2498 (09-30-2017),Dom Heffner (10-09-2017),Redsfaithful (10-01-2017),Tom Servo (09-30-2017),WrongVerb (09-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Facts aren't political. They are facts.
    Opinions aren't facts.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Opinions aren't facts.
    I’m aware, I was saying that tongue in cheek, although I think that “opinion” is obviously true.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Been weeks now:

Only 11.7% have power
    Only 56% have water
    7000 still in shelters
    25/66 hospitals have power
    http://www.status.pr/

What happened with the response here was deliberate. On purpose. I don't know why - perhaps it was to do with them not being a state, perhaps it has to do with the debt situation, I don't know - but it was deliberate.

We militarily occupied Haiti after their earthquake in 2011, and, just in case someone needs a refresher, that isn't American territory. Military engineers sent in large numbers to reset infrastructure. Hasn't happened here. It's an embarrassment, and it's horrible, and the media has underplayed it in favor of stories about the NFL and the national anthem.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

11. Likes:

Chip R (10-09-2017),cumberlandreds (10-11-2017),Dom Heffner (10-09-2017),Tom Servo (10-09-2017),WrongVerb (10-09-2017)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Been weeks now:

http://www.status.pr/

What happened with the response here was deliberate. On purpose. I don't know why - perhaps it was to do with them not being a state, perhaps it has to do with the debt situation, I don't know - but it was deliberate.

We militarily occupied Haiti after their earthquake in 2011, and, just in case someone needs a refresher, that isn't American territory. Military engineers sent in large numbers to reset infrastructure. Hasn't happened here. It's an embarrassment, and it's horrible, and the media has underplayed it in favor of stories about the NFL and the national anthem.
    I gather there is a large swath of people in this country who believe you should struggle for everything you get; someone helping you, even when you are at your bottom and most helpless, only serves to make you weak, and you'd be better off dying anyway. This attitude is exploited by others so they can justify poor responses to any number of disasters, including this one.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Likes:

Joseph (10-12-2017)

Eventually we are going to get a real death toll out of Puerto Rico.

It's going to:

1. be called "fake news" by many, possibly even by our president

and

2. will immediately see people asking others to "not politicize it" because it's disrespectful to the people who died in a tragedy

I expect 2 will probably even happen on this board.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

15. Likes:

BillDoran (10-10-2017),Joseph (10-12-2017),Tom Servo (10-09-2017),WrongVerb (10-09-2017)

I see that Google is about to send balloons to essentially work as temporary cellphone towers to restore service in Puerto Rico. Interesting solution. I guess something similar was done in Peru earlier this year and it worked pretty well.

17. Likes:

Redsfaithful (10-09-2017),WrongVerb (10-09-2017)

My gf's best friend is from Puerto Rico, and her 79 year old father still lives on the northeast corner. He still has no running water or electricity, and hardly anything is open. But, the airport is open and FedEx and USPs are delivering, so she is able to get the basic necessities to him. She begged him to come to the states, but he owns his own business and said he would be robbed blind and lose everything the moment he left, so he is staying put. People are burying their dead in their yards for the time being because the morgues aren't working anyway. He does have access to fuel, so she is shipping him a small generator to run some lights, a tv and fridge at least. It's a pretty desperate situation.

Jennifer Bendery‏
    @jbendery 1h1 hour ago

Just talked to a nurse in San Juan. Water being rationed. Ppl with no power, little food, waiting hours in lines in sweltering heat. Unreal.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

NFL players are kneeling though, and we have Democrats to bash over Weinstein.

21. Likes:

Joseph (10-12-2017)

Lest we forget the ratings losers ESPN.

23. Likes:

Joseph (10-12-2017)

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...co-nurses-fema

Nurses returning from Puerto Rico accuse the federal government of leaving people to die

The stinging criticism came from members of the nonprofit National Nurses United, speaking on Capitol Hill with Democratic members of Congress after a two-week humanitarian mission to Puerto Rico. About 50 volunteer nurses visited two dozen towns in urban and rural areas, and described the desperation of Puerto Ricans — even five weeks after Hurricane Maria hit the island — as worse than anything they had witnessed on other humanitarian missions, including the aftermath of Katrina in New Orleans and the earthquake in Haiti.

Turn Off Ads?