Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: Tom Petty has passed away

  1. #31
    Member GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    27,462

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    Been playing his music most of the morning with a tear in my eye. Read his last interview, which was just several days before his passing. So Sad.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,512

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Been playing his music most of the morning with a tear in my eye. Read his last interview, which was just several days before his passing. So Sad.
    I had mentioned "Damn the Torpedoes..."

    When I was just a little guy my mom would take me around to all these flea markets...and they would sell pirated 8 tracks, basically. And that one along with a Commodores (lol) one were the very first ones I picked. At least that's how I remember it.

    These folks become part of your lives and I know we'll always have the recordings but something about losing them really hurts.

  4. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (10-08-2017)

  5. #33
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,793

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    As a graduation present for my group of friends in HS, My friends parents bought us all tix to see Tom Petty at Blossom Music Center. We were all so excited, got to the show, sat in the lawn, and there was some sort of issue with the sound system and it ended up being the worst show Iíve ever been to. I always wanted to see him again but never got the chance. Tom Petty was unique because he was an old school rocker, but he had popular music videos so he was a bridge between pre-MTV music fans and the MTV generation. I think I saw the music videos for Free Falling and Donít Come Round Here No More a thousand times a piece.

    Sadly, we will probably see a huge increase in musical icons dying the next couple of years.

    RIP
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  6. #34
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    11,884

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I had mentioned "Damn the Torpedoes..."

    When I was just a little guy my mom would take me around to all these flea markets...and they would sell pirated 8 tracks, basically. And that one along with a Commodores (lol) one were the very first ones I picked. At least that's how I remember it.

    These folks become part of your lives and I know we'll always have the recordings but something about losing them really hurts.
    This is a good point. I became of age around the time the grunge era was exploding. Most of the my early CD's focus were Peral Jam, Nirvana, AIC, STP, etc. While I don't primarily listen to those artist anymore, when I do hear them it brings me back to a stage in my life.

    To double down on that I was playing in a golf tournament with my buddies and my brother who is 9 years younger. My one buddy brought up a grunge era playlist and we just began to talk about those artist. Songs by artists like Our Lady Peace and Soul Asslym, songs that your had forgotten about but brought you back. Its was sad but we were talking about these guys and the guys who had died (primarily due to OD) and my brother said, "are any of them still alive?"

    I was never a huge Petty fan, liked his music, but it wasn't someone that I necessarily went out of my way to play. But I get you how they become a part of your life. I still hear songs today and it brings me back to being in High School, windows down, and driving to a golf tournament.

  7. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (10-08-2017)

  8. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Beverly, OH
    Posts
    89

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    Still a bummer to come here and see this thread. Petty was my favorite (and Mike Campbell is my guitar hero). When I told my little boy (who just turned 7) what happened, he looked sad, took a minute, and asked, "Well, we still get to listen to him, right?" Laying creativity down in tracks over the years is a great thing. The music lives forever.

  9. Likes:

    REDREAD (10-05-2017)

  10. #36
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,512

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    This is a good point. I became of age around the time the grunge era was exploding. Most of the my early CD's focus were Peral Jam, Nirvana, AIC, STP, etc. While I don't primarily listen to those artist anymore, when I do hear them it brings me back to a stage in my life.

    To double down on that I was playing in a golf tournament with my buddies and my brother who is 9 years younger. My one buddy brought up a grunge era playlist and we just began to talk about those artist. Songs by artists like Our Lady Peace and Soul Asslym, songs that your had forgotten about but brought you back. Its was sad but we were talking about these guys and the guys who had died (primarily due to OD) and my brother said, "are any of them still alive?"

    I was never a huge Petty fan, liked his music, but it wasn't someone that I necessarily went out of my way to play. But I get you how they become a part of your life. I still hear songs today and it brings me back to being in High School, windows down, and driving to a golf tournament.
    I was maybe 10 when Petty came into light? He was there in the early days of MTV as well.

  11. #37
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    48,404

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    Petty came out when I was in HS, he IMO was the tortoise in the world of rock, he was slow, steady, not the most spectacular but weaves in and out of the sound track of the last 38 years of my life. Just a great working player and a gifted songwriter.

    Saw him as Dylans backup band 3 times, pretty damn tight... Saw him about 10 years ago, Stevie Nicks came out and played with him, it was awesome, just freaking awesome. One of the best shows I've seen and I had that I decided to go to go at the last minute.

  12. Likes:

    Chip R (10-05-2017),cumberlandreds (10-05-2017),Dom Heffner (10-05-2017),marcshoe (10-06-2017),Revering4Blue (10-08-2017),SunDeck (10-07-2017)

  13. #38
    Member GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    27,462

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    These folks become part of your lives and I know we'll always have the recordings but something about losing them really hurts.
    IMO, because a part of you had been taken away, ripped from you, when they pass. Especially when it's a really tragic situation. It creates a void.

    I've seen a lot of my favorite rockers pass over these last several years, and it does make me stop and think, reflect, on their influence/impact on my younger life. But nothing effected me, hit me as hard, as when Lennon was murdered. I created a Lennon playlist on Spotify, and I can't listen to him without thinking to myself of how we've been ripped off of 37 years of music, and what he possibly would have created if he were still alive.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

  14. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (10-08-2017)

  15. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    8,980

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    I think of all the keggers I went to from '73 through '75 and all of the Southern Rock that permeated through the parties, and the $2 Midnight shows at the Paramount and Fox theaters where you could see up-and-coming bands from the early and mid '70's, and these musicians do seem to be dropping like flies lately. You had Steely Dan and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers offering a softer version of the Southern Rock, and you just melded towards them. They offered mood music that was unique, but fit the genre of the time. Petty kept reinventing himself, but kept his unique style.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  16. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (10-08-2017)

  17. #40
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,566

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    I can't hear Refugee without flashing back to the moment I first heard of Tom Petty. It was on Indiana R1, sitting in the back seat of a friend's Chevelle. We were on the way to a canoe trip, she popped Damn the Torpedos into the cassette and said this was something new that she thought was pretty cool. Those opening chords hooked me forever. Very sad these days to lose a musician who reeled me in that hard.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  18. #41
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,512

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    IMO, because a part of you had been taken away, ripped from you, when they pass. Especially when it's a really tragic situation. It creates a void.

    I've seen a lot of my favorite rockers pass over these last several years, and it does make me stop and think, reflect, on their influence/impact on my younger life. But nothing effected me, hit me as hard, as when Lennon was murdered. I created a Lennon playlist on Spotify, and I can't listen to him without thinking to myself of how we've been ripped off of 37 years of music, and what he possibly would have created if he were still alive.
    And my point was merely that what was important to you is the recordings- they never go away.

    Nothing's been taken away.

    Just some philosophical thought...

  19. Likes:

    redsfanmia (10-08-2017),Revering4Blue (10-08-2017)

  20. #42
    Administrator GIK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    4,059

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    Too many greats are moving on... just glad I got to see him live once (Echo tour, '99, at the Gorge). Wildflowers, She's the One, and Echo (along with his Greatest Hits album) were staples for a good period while I learned what I liked. I'll miss him.

  21. #43
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,095

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    Ruled an accidental overdose. Oxycodone and Fentanyl.

  22. #44
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,052

    Re: Tom Petty has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Ruled an accidental overdose. Oxycodone and Fentanyl.
    Yep. he was trying to medicate a fractured hip.

    https://www.facebook.com/tompetty/po...55246860340905

    Not good


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator