Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaming Music

Streaming Music

Does anyone pay for a music service? I have been thinking about this lately but am conflicted on which way to go. Also how is the service away from a WIFI connection, when I run, cut the grass, etc, I use my library (and pandora) to listen to music.

The three I am looking at are:

Spotify - Which I have on my computer.
    Amazon - I have an Alexa that my kids end up using more than I do. I don't like that I can only import a limited number of songs from my library into Amazon Music.
    Apple - Both my wife and I have iPhones as well as an extensive iTunes library. Truthfully if the Apple Home Pod is any good I will probably get on in the near future. I like the idea of having everything streamlined with one service.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Streaming Music

We pay $10/mo for Spotify and it's great, whether by WiFi or data. We also use it a lot in the car (Bluetooth through the stereo into the speakers) and haven't once gone over our data limits.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

GAC (10-05-2017)

Living in an area with huge wi-fi gaps, I use Spotify for the downloading capabilities.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I've been a subscriber for Slacker the last 4 years. Love it

You can download playlists, etc. from Spotify to listen to offline, so that covers things like cutting grass and running.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

We have a family subscription to Apple Music. I don't know of anything specific it clearly does better than Spotify, but we had already been in the iPhone/iTunes ecosystem for years, so it was an easy transition. Apple Music also supports downloading for offline listening, there are a lot of good curated playlists, and the Radio function has a pretty decent variety of options. iTunes still kinda sucks, but if you're already used to it, not a big deal.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I used Spotify for about two years, then switched to Apple Music. The only reason I switched is I like supporting my favorite artists with full album purchases on iTunes. Other than that, they're both perfectly good.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

They call me "chef"

I pay $15 a month for Spotify Family (which means I can share my account with my wife) and I get a $8 member rebate for paying with my Capital One card, so it ends up being $7 a month. Very worth it, IMO. I play music in the car non-stop via Spotify.

I haven't tried it out too much but have a look at Wolgang's Vault for live music:
    https://www.wolfgangs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I pay $15 a month for Spotify Family (which means I can share my account with my wife) and I get a $8 member rebate for paying with my Capital One card, so it ends up being $7 a month. Very worth it, IMO. I play music in the car non-stop via Spotify.
    That's a good deal. I'll have to find a wife so I can take advantage of it.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    OkCupid.com worked for me!

14. Likes:

Redsfaithful (10-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    We pay $10/mo for Spotify and it's great, whether by WiFi or data. We also use it a lot in the car (Bluetooth through the stereo into the speakers) and haven't once gone over our data limits.
    Same here buddy. I love it. I've been spending a good part of this morning creating various playlists because my daughter bought Dad a newer (and better) phone (LOL)

My daughter told me that if you use the Wifi in your home (or wherever) and download the music onto you micro SD card ... I got a 32GB .... you don't use your data when playing it through your phone, blue tooth, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I've been a subscriber for Slacker the last 4 years. Love it
    You found a music streaming source named after you? Wow!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

16. Likes:

Chip R (10-09-2017),cumberlandreds (10-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    You can download playlists, etc. from Spotify to listen to offline, so that covers things like cutting grass and running.
    My daughter bought Dad a nice set of Blue headphones to use with my phone and listen to Spotify. Nothing beats getting on my zero turn mower, cutting grass, and jamming to Floyd.

Of course the pattern in my yard doesn't look too good with the distraction (LOL)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    That's one heck of a sacrifice to pay in order to come up with the $15! LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 10-05-2017 at 09:26 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Same here buddy. I love it. I've been spending a good part of this morning creating various playlists because my daughter bought Dad a newer (and better) phone (LOL)

My daughter told me that if you use the Wifi in your home (or wherever) and download the music onto you micro SD card ... I got a 32GB .... you don't use your data when playing it through your phone, blue tooth, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

You found a music streaming source named after you? Wow!
    Correct. You can select songs on Spotify for "offline" listening and it basically downloads them to your phone and you can play them without a signal and without using data.

I like Apple Music, my wife and I have iphones, it makes it really simple.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?