Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds to field Appy League team?

Reds to field Appy League team?

Seems that the Reds May fill the vacancy in Greeneville, TN for the Appy League. Anyone else heard this? Man, I hope this is true.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds to field Appy League team?

How about some source info?
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-03-2017),Gallen5862 (10-04-2017),JaxRed (10-03-2017),NC Reds (10-03-2017),StRedlegs900 (10-03-2017),Tom Servo (10-03-2017)

Hmm, I sense that wily poster dougdirt may have heard of this.

What is the RV overnight parking situation in Greenville, TN?

7. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (10-05-2017)

What kind of source is that?

9. Likes:

dougdirt (10-03-2017)

Josh Norris, Baseball America, also has something on Twitter.

I like this idea a lot.....
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

12. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-03-2017)

They use the ballpark of Tusculum College....... It looks pretty nice. Pictures in link. Too big to post.

http://www.d2baseballnews.com/tuscul...5-commitments/

Very positive!
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-03-2017)

Seems like a beneficial move, we would join the Royals in having both an Appy and Pioneer League team.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

I'll just copy here what I posted on Doug's site:

So, the Appalachian League and the Pioneer League are basically the same level. The difference is (and I’m basing this on just stats from the previous year) that the Appy League is very pitcher-friendly and the Pioneer League is very hitter-friendly.

So, wouldn’t it make sense that Greenville would be easier than Billings for the pitchers, but harder that Billings on the hitters? Given that, wouldn’t it make sense to do something kind of wonky in terms of progression through short season ball?

Hitters would progress like this:
    1. Arizona
    2. Billings
    3. Greeneville

Pitchers would progress like this:
    1. Arizona
    2. Greeneville
    3. Billings

Maybe?

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-04-2017),M2 (10-03-2017)

I always thought Reds would eventually add a short-season Class A team. Lot of teams have them, 22 teams in that classification.

Instead Reds went with an additional Rookie team, which is fine too.

Shows commitment to drafting/development process.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-03-2017 at 10:24 PM.

20. Likes:

M2 (10-04-2017)

It’s absolutely a gorgeous stadium. My son worked there for the Astros a couple of seasons and I really enjoyed going to games there.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

22. Likes:

lollipopcurve (10-04-2017)

Interesting note: a few years ago, an independent website ran a poll of the best facilities in rookie ball. Billings finished first and GreenEville (don't forget the E) finished second.

This stadium is nicer than a lot of teams AA stadiums. In 2004, a man in Greeneville donated $10M to Tusculum College to build a stadium. As part of the deal, he requested a minor league team be brought in. It is top of the line, to say the least.

And yes, the Appy League is more of a pitcher friendly league, but Greeneville is the extreme. It is a hitter's graveyard.
    Last edited by William; 10-03-2017 at 11:07 PM.
    If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won't need a third.
    - Pete Rose

24. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-04-2017),lollipopcurve (10-04-2017)

I always wanted to see the Reds have a team in the Appy League. When I was still living in SE Kentucky I would go over to Kingsport and Johnson City to watch games. Kingsport was first affiliated with the Royals and then later the Mets. Johnson City was affiliated with the Cardinals when I saw them play. I always wondered why the Reds couldn't have a team in that league. Back in the 70's the Reds had a pretty good following in NE Tennessee. I don't think it is so much now. Anyway this is about 30 years too late for me but I do hope they do well in Greeneville.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

26. Likes:

lollipopcurve (10-04-2017)

Turn Off Ads?