Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds to field Appy League team?

Re: Reds to field Appy League team?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    So, Hunter Greene to Greeneville?
    to me that would be a demotion from Billings. I think Greene lands in Dayton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Any idea what the investment is from the Reds perspective of nabbing this team?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    to me that would be a demotion from Billings. I think Greene lands in Dayton.
    Appy League is a better pitching circuit, which is what the Reds are trying to develop with Greene. In terms of quality they're functionally even. I doubt Greene can shoulder an entire MWL season innings load given how little he pitched in 2017 (at the HS level as well as in the pros). So he probably needs to be in a rookie league setting. I'd send him to the one with the more forgiving pitching environment.
    Wait until the year after next year.

5. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-09-2017)

App League started June 22nd last year. I'll be VERY surprised if they wait till late June to have him make his debut. Doug thought they'd hold him back till May to keep innings down. That sounds like a more plausible scenario.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Appy League is a better pitching circuit, which is what the Reds are trying to develop with Greene. In terms of quality they're functionally even. I doubt Greene can shoulder an entire MWL season innings load given how little he pitched in 2017 (at the HS level as well as in the pros). So he probably needs to be in a rookie league setting. I'd send him to the one with the more forgiving pitching environment.
    They've already announced that they're treating Greenville as a step down from Billings. So no. They're not doing that.

I expect to see Greenville populated with a lot of the guys that don't go to Billings now because there are players ahead of them so they stay in Arizona. Now those players can go to Greenville, a few more 18 to 20 y/o DSL guys can come stateside to fill Arizona's roster along with really raw HS talents from the draft. Less position sharing and more playing time. Pitchers will probably go to Billings if they are considered more advanced - ie college draftees, while HS kids & DSL guys considered ready can go to Greenville for a bit less jarring debut. Coaches will have more time for intensive instruction in Arizona and kids that are ready for league play will have less of a jam ahead of them with 2 short season teams. The Reds promised more money in development and appear to be keeping that promise.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

10. Likes:

redsmetz (10-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Any idea what the investment is from the Reds perspective of nabbing this team?
    I don't think it cost them anything to acquire the team if that's what your asking. I suspect the operational costs are fairly low also. Players get paid anyway, they MIGHT hire 3 or 4 extra coaches, players stay with families, so major costs (guessing) are road trip expenses (meals, buses hotels).
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I don't think it cost them anything to acquire the team if that's what your asking. I suspect the operational costs are fairly low also. Players get paid anyway, they MIGHT hire 3 or 4 extra coaches, players stay with families, so major costs (guessing) are road trip expenses (meals, buses hotels).
    Where the Reds will pick up expenses is paying additional players that would have otherwise been cut (probably 35 guys), but now you've got additional roster spots, additional coaches (which may or may not be true - they could simply go back to a normal amount of coaches and eliminate the bench coach from the other teams and just rearrange things to fill out the Greeneville staff) and then additional staffing (trainers/Trackman/video guys/Greeneville front office guys to run the day-to-day operations). And the travel related stuff that you covered. In total, it's probably something like $300-450,000 extra per season.

I assume there are no hangups. Greenville denied the deal was final even after Reds said it was.

https://www.greenevillesun.com/news/...a7e0877da.html

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    App League started June 22nd last year. I'll be VERY surprised if they wait till late June to have him make his debut. Doug thought they'd hold him back till May to keep innings down. That sounds like a more plausible scenario.
    Kind of depends on his innings target and where you think he ought to pitch. Robert Stephenson started in Billings the year after he got drafted and he only worked 65 IP total (34.1 of them in Dayton after he blitzed through the PL). That strikes me as somewhere in the neighborhood where Greene needs to be. If you figure him for 5 IP/start, that's roughly 13 starts. It's a short season even if he's not playing in a short-season circuit.

Nick Travieso and Homer Bailey both went directly to Dayton the year after they got drafted and logged more IP, but they both struggled a bit. I'm not a fan of that brand of development. Travieso also threw 80+ IP and Bailey threw 100+ IP. I find it impossible to believe Greene's ready for that kind of workload.

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    They've already announced that they're treating Greenville as a step down from Billings. So no. They're not doing t is a vicious place to send a young pitcher.
    If that's what they're doing, that's what they're doing. I'd like them to re-think that plan and use Greeneville for pitching development. Billings is a trial by fire environment.
    Last edited by M2; 10-10-2017 at 02:46 AM.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Ever since adding the second DSL squad they've been on this route. Their AZL squad is essentially an advanced DSL squad. You'll probably see very few draftees going to the AZL from here on out, the highschoolers will go to the Appy and the college guys will go to Billings.

16. Likes:

M2 (10-10-2017),mace (10-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Where the Reds will pick up expenses is paying additional players that would have otherwise been cut (probably 35 guys), but now you've got additional roster spots, additional coaches (which may or may not be true - they could simply go back to a normal amount of coaches and eliminate the bench coach from the other teams and just rearrange things to fill out the Greeneville staff) and then additional staffing (trainers/Trackman/video guys/Greeneville front office guys to run the day-to-day operations). And the travel related stuff that you covered. In total, it's probably something like $300-450,000 extra per season.
    Sounds good. IMO, this is money well spent.
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

What's the latest or holdup in this? I live around Greeneville and have heard nothing at this point. Thanks!

I used to go to Huntington (WV) back in 1991-92 when they had a Cubs affiliate there whenever the Reds Princeton (WV) squad came to town. They had such notables as Pokey Reese, Kevin Jarvis, Toby Rumsfield, Dave Tuttle, John Courtright, Dee Jenkins, Rod Thomas, John Hrusovsky, Ray Moon, Chad Fox, Todd Etler, Cleveland Ladell, Brian Silva, etc.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 11-17-2017 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bowles8 View Post
    What's the latest or holdup in this? I live around Greeneville and have heard nothing at this point. Thanks!
    I tweeted at the Reds after you asked this question & they never replied. I can't find any news updates on this at all. Very strange.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?