Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams was in Japan to watch Ohtani

Re: Dick Williams was in Japan to watch Ohtani

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No, they can't. He has to go through the "amateur" system. Signing bonus, 6 full years of MLB team control. League minimum, then arbitration for four years (I'll assume he is a Super 2 guy because there's no way someone is sending him to the minors).

What is likely to happen, though, is that after a year or two he signs an extension deal where he gets paid real money to buy out the arb years and maybe a year of FA.
    I get the years of control part, but I think teams still can sign Singleton deals if they wish (he made $1.5M his rookie season). The Singleton deal turned into a $10M tire fire, which is why we don't see teams making those kinds of deals. Yet Otani seems like the perfect candidate for one. Like you said, he's not going to spend a hot second in the minors. I assume there would be a problem if the Reds paid him $8M (since that's the random number I plucked out of thin air) to play in the minors. Manfred could claim it's a de facto bonus. Yet if Otani's playing in the majors, it's just a player contract. If the Reds inked Nick Senzel to some sort of monster eight-year deal tomorrow that pays him a lot of up front, we'd call it proactive.

So maybe they offer something similar to Otani. Buy out a year or two of free agency so the powers that be have to treat it like the Singleton contract.

Far as I can tell, there's no prohibitions to offering MLB contracts to MLB players. Teams don't do that with young international players because they're years away from the majors and teams have set up the current system to limit their spending on risky commodities. Rookies don't get paid more than the minimum because teams don't have to pay them more than that. Yet Otani falls well outside those norms. Seems like the MLB contract is where teams have some latitude to do something abnormal.
    Wait until the year after next year.

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-04-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Am I crazy or does Japan's posting system operate outside the rules of the other international leagues/signings? I mean it's a totally different situation than the players being signed generally at age 18 out of the carribean nations.

Or maybe it used to but now everything is governed by the same set of rules.
    Or maybe it never was and I just made all that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Maybe Dick likes the box he gets to sleep in when staying in a Tokyo hotel.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6. Likes:

kaldaniels (10-04-2017),OhioRiverBarge (10-04-2017),StRedlegs900 (10-05-2017)

There was speculation that he was there to see a couple bullpen arms as well.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Maybe Dick likes the box he gets to sleep in when staying in a Tokyo hotel.
    Name:  c16980b9f84e3b0c69882c2eeba65191.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  51.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

9. Likes:

bounty37h (10-04-2017),camisadelgolf (10-04-2017),dougdirt (10-04-2017),Edd Roush (10-04-2017),kaldaniels (10-04-2017),nmculbreth (10-04-2017),OhioRiverBarge (10-04-2017),Old school 1983 (10-04-2017),Raisor (10-04-2017),RedTeamGo! (10-04-2017),savafan (10-05-2017),StRedlegs900 (10-05-2017),TRF (10-16-2017),WrongVerb (10-04-2017)

I think the only chance they have on a marketing standpoint would be to play up that 1, he would definitely be able to play both as a hitter/fielder and a pitcher, 2, that he would and could be a major factor in transforming a last place team back in to contending again, and 3, the Reds have a small ballpark that they play in and one in which he could hit many home runs. Also maybe play up the actual name "Great American Ballpark". What better way for him to become an American than to play baseball in a park that's named one?

Me personally I'd like to rename it Pretty, Pretty Good American Ballpark. (Larry David fan) We can wait till the deal is done before it's renamed.
    The Stop And Chat

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    There was speculation that he was there to see a couple bullpen arms as well.
    I think he was just there for some good sushi and an erotic massage.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

REDREAD (10-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I think he was just there for some good sushi and an erotic massage.
    We got geishas here.... they just go by a different name
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-05-2017)

And Kroger has sushi. Be sure to tell Ohtani that.
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

“Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin.” -- Joyce Carol Oates

The Reds should promise to bring back Farmer Night and replace Pete’s statue with one of Ohtani.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I promise to change my RedsZone name to Shohei if he signs with the Reds. Think that will help?

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-04-2017),REDREAD (10-04-2017)

Reds really need the DH.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    The Reds should promise to bring back Farmer Night and replace Pete’s statue with one of Ohtani.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Does the head screw off?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

21. Likes:

Donder (10-04-2017)

Is the $20 million paid to his Japanese team not counted in the $300k limit?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Is the $20 million paid to his Japanese team not counted in the $300k limit?
    Not unless they are really bad at math.
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

“Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin.” -- Joyce Carol Oates

Turn Off Ads?