Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who would you add/remove to/from the 40-man roster?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Jose Lopez

38 86.36%
  • RHP Zack Weiss

37 84.09%
  • 1B Gavin LaValley

23 52.27%
  • 1B/OF Nick Longhi

9 20.45%
  • 2B Shed Long

40 90.91%
  • SS Zack Cozart

1 2.27%
  • IF Alex Blandino

37 84.09%
  • IF Josh Van Meter

0 0%
  • OF Jose Siri

33 75.00%
  • ---------------------

1 2.27%
  • C Chad Wallach

29 65.91%
  • SS Zack Cozart

32 72.73%
  • SS Zach Vincej

19 43.18%
  • UT Patrick Kivlehan

28 63.64%
  • RHP Tim Adleman

36 81.82%
  • RHP Deck McGuire

10 22.73%
  • RHP Keury Mella

8 18.18%
  • RHP Kevin Shackelford

8 18.18%
  • RHP Jackson Stephens

9 20.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40-Man Roster

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

40-Man Roster

The players above the dashes are who you would add, and the players below the dashes are who you would remove. Select the players you would add and remove from the 40-man roster. After DeSclafani and Finnegan are added, there will be 4 out of 40 spots available. Zack Cozart is due to be a free agent, so let's say voting for him means you're willing to use a qualifying offer on him (about $18M).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 40-Man Roster

To protect 6 players from the upcoming Rule 5 draft, you really only need to remove 3 (since the 40 man will be at 37 with Arroyo, Feldman, Storen, and Cozart electing FA - it's currently at 41).

After that you can outright players as you acquire them, i.e. if you sign a FA or make a waiver claim in December then you can outright a player.

So I'll go with adding Blandino, Long, LaValley, Siri, Lopez, and Weiss. Strahan and Dixon would be 7th and 8th on my list, but I don't think they'll protect that many players.

I'd outright Wallach, Turner, and Vincej to clear the 3 needed spaces for my 6 protections. I believe all 3 would clear waivers, if they did they would not qualify as six-year minor league free agents and would stay in the system. If they were claimed, no biggie. 3rd string catchers and AAAA shortstops are relatively easy to come by in the winter. (Wallach really has absolutely no business being on a 40 man roster, Vincej is this year's version of AAAA Selsky, and Turner clearly needs a lot of seasoning and shouldn't be counted on for next season)

Next off my list - as new players were acquired - would be McGuire, Kivlehan, and Shackelford in that order. All 3 would be eligible to seek free agency if outrighted anytime soon.

Adleman (the team innings leader this year) is my long reliever next year, at the moment, so he goes no where. Too early to give up on Stephens or Mella (I'd probably dump Davis before either of them).
    Last edited by Kinsm; 10-06-2017 at 03:24 AM.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-03-2017)

I expect there to be a ton of movement on the Reds 40 man roster this winter.

I don't expect free agent signings (maybe 1 or 2 in January), but I expect waiver claims and a trade is likely.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jesus Reyes - I'll be very surprised if he's left unprotected. He's got a legit arm that would be easy to put in your bullpen at the big leagues.

7. Likes:

lollipopcurve (10-06-2017),RED VAN HOT (10-06-2017),Tom Servo (10-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Jesus Reyes - I'll be very surprised if he's left unprotected. He's got a legit arm that would be easy to put in your bullpen at the big leagues.
    Almost positive Reyes is not eligible, though he signed his initial contract as a NDFA out of ASA College in NY in 2014 it was after the conclusion of the 2014 season thus his first qualified season for Rule 5 counting purposes was 2015.
    Last edited by Kinsm; 10-06-2017 at 04:37 AM.

I would not be adding LaValley. He hit the wall at AA. (It's the only thing he hit there). With a .657 OPS. Guy is position limited, slow and couldn't hit AA. No way I'd add him.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-06-2017),Griffey012 (10-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Almost positive Reyes is not eligible, though he signed his initial contract as a NDFA out of ASA College in NY in 2014 it was after the conclusion of the 2014 season thus his first qualified season for Rule 5 counting purposes was 2015.
    He signed 8/28. The AZL Reds played their final game that day. Every other team played beyond then. This would be his 4th Rule 5 draft since signing. I'll double check later today with someone.

Talked with someone with the Reds - Jesus Reyes is indeed eligible.

I messed up my voting on this. Sorry.
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

“Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin.” -- Joyce Carol Oates

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This would be his 4th Rule 5 draft since signing.
    Rule V

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Rule V

You're dead to me, forever. Ghost status.

16. Likes:

klw (10-09-2017)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

After doug cleared up Reyes' qualifying status, I ended up protecting six guys: Reyes, Blandino, Long, Siri, Lopez and Weiss. That obviously has me excluding Cozart and LaValley. Cozart is left off because I think there is a very low chance he gets the QO and then signs a deal for more than $50M. I am surprised that I left off LaValley, but given a blocked path to PAs in Cincy and a horrible second half, I did not see more upside for him than I did the pitchers who I kept instead.

To add those six, I removed Wallach, Kivlehan and Vincej. Wallach was the easiest cut. I do not expect the Reds to remove Kivlehan because I think they like him a lot, despite him being a poor hitter and poor defender. They let him rack up 200+ PAs and he is young, so I am skeptical the Reds will make the move, even though I did. Vincej was tough because he is a good defender that has hit a little, but he seems redundant with Peraza. I also hope that he can develop at the dish like Cozart, but that may be a pipe dream.

Of the guys I chose to keep on the 40, I think Adleman was the guy who I was closest to leaving off. If the Reds really like a guy in the Rule 5 Draft, I think he would be the guy left off. Stephens may be the second closest to being removed. I know McGuire is older, but has good stuff and pitched much better in AA. Shackelford played himself into a bullpen spot with his awesome September (13 1/3 IP: 1.35 ERA, 3.53 FIP, 2.52 xFIP, 12.15 K/9, 2.70 BB/9 and 1.35 HR/9). Small sample size alert and all, but he has good stuff and won himself a spot in my pen as long as he does not fall apart in Spring Training or gets hurt. Mella is young enough and pitched well enough in AA to not really be close to the cut line for me.

I don't want to lose Siri either, but the leap from Dayton to MLB is vast. I don't see him getting selected and kept on a team all year. I would not panic if he is not added.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (10-11-2017)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    I don't want to lose Siri either, but the leap from Dayton to MLB is vast. I don't see him getting selected and kept on a team all year. I would not panic if he is not added.
    This is how I'm feeling about it. I'm not convinced Siri will have success above high-A anyway, given his K/BB numbers.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    This is how I'm feeling about it. I'm not convinced Siri will have success above high-A anyway, given his K/BB numbers.
    He's already a fifth OF guy, capable of being a defensive caddy and pinch runner. He has enough pop to occasionally run into one as well.

IMO, he's among the most likely of the Reds' prospects to be taken.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-06-2017)

Turn Off Ads?