Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who would you add/remove to/from the 40-man roster?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Jose Lopez

38 86.36%
  • RHP Zack Weiss

37 84.09%
  • 1B Gavin LaValley

23 52.27%
  • 1B/OF Nick Longhi

9 20.45%
  • 2B Shed Long

40 90.91%
  • SS Zack Cozart

1 2.27%
  • IF Alex Blandino

37 84.09%
  • IF Josh Van Meter

0 0%
  • OF Jose Siri

33 75.00%
  • ---------------------

1 2.27%
  • C Chad Wallach

29 65.91%
  • SS Zack Cozart

32 72.73%
  • SS Zach Vincej

19 43.18%
  • UT Patrick Kivlehan

28 63.64%
  • RHP Tim Adleman

36 81.82%
  • RHP Deck McGuire

10 22.73%
  • RHP Keury Mella

8 18.18%
  • RHP Kevin Shackelford

8 18.18%
  • RHP Jackson Stephens

9 20.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 40-Man Roster

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 40-Man Roster

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    I don't want to lose Siri either, but the leap from Dayton to MLB is vast. I don't see him getting selected and kept on a team all year. I would not panic if he is not added.
    The Reds kept Stuart Turner all year. The Padres kept like 22 guys all year (slight exaggeration). Jose Siri is worth more than any of those guys. If the Reds had a chance to pick up a guy like Jose Siri in the Rule 5, and didn't, I'd probably be bothered by that. They are exactly the kind of team that needs to take risks like that. With all of the free agents that the Royals are going to lose, they would be a team that should be looking for players just like this, to add for basically nothing. Siri will get protected though. There's no doubt in my mind.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    This is how I'm feeling about it. I'm not convinced Siri will have success above high-A anyway, given his K/BB numbers.
    Siri certainly has warts, but I certainly like his long-term value more than Wallach, Kivlehan, Vincej, Adleman and Stephens.

I wanted to add Mike Trout, but didn't see his name listed. Was this merely an oversight?

5. Likes:

marcshoe (10-09-2017),NC Reds (10-06-2017)

Re: Siri, San Diego will take rawer than raw guys out of rookie ball. Siri would not be safe, IMO.

7. Likes:

HokieRed (10-07-2017)

I'm adding Lopez, Reyes, Long, Longhi, Blandino, Siri, and Weiss. Drops are in this order: Cozart, Vincej, Wallach, Turner, Kivlehan, Adleman, McGuire. I don't think they will drop Turner, but I would to protect any of my 7 additions. Having seen Longhi a number of times, I think they will put him on; I can't help but think that the way they picked him up means they want to keep him. I think any of the seven additions I've made would, in fact, be taken.

I think I want a do over.

10. Likes:

marcshoe (10-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I think I want a do over.
    No can do. You only get one chance. You blew it.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (10-11-2017),Tom Servo (10-07-2017)

RULE 5 DRAFT ELIGIBILITY

1. A minor league player who was 18 or younger on the June 5th immediately prior to signing his first contract is eligible for selection starting with the 5th Rule 5 Draft following his first qualified season, and a minor league player who was 19 years or older on the June 5th immediately prior to signing his first contract becomes eligible for selection starting with the 4th Rule 5 Draft following his first qualified season.

2. If a player signs his first contract after the conclusion of the season of the MLB or minor league club to which he is first assigned (even if he signs prior to the Rule 5 Draft), the next season is considered to be the player's "first qualified season" for Rule 5 eligibility purposes. (Depending on the minor league, the conclusion of a minor league club's season could be as early as the first week of August, or as late as the second week of September).

3. A player eligible to be an MLB Rule 55 "six-year" minor league free-agent who signs a minor league successor contract prior to being declared a free-agent and a free-agent with prior MLB and/or minor league service who signs a minor league contract prior to the Rule 5 Draft is eligible for selection if the player;was 18 or younger on the June 5th immediately prior to signing his first contract and it is at least the 5th Rule 5 Draft since he signed his first contract, or the player was 19 years or older on the June 5th immediately prior to signing his first contract and it is at least the 4th Rule 5 Draft since he signed his first contract.

4. Any player on a minor league reserve list who has either been released or had his contract voided and then re-signs with the same MLB organization within one year is eligible for selection.

5. Any player on a minor league reserve list who has been outrighted to the minors previously in his career is eligible for selection.

6. A player on the Voluntary Retired List, Disqualified List, or Ineligible List is not eligible for selection.

7. An MLB club can designate any player on a minor league reserve list "eligible for selection" in the Rule 5 Draft even if the player would not normally be eligible, but once a player is designated "eligible for selection," he remains eligible for selection in all subsequent Rule 5 drafts. NOTE: A club might do this if the club is planning to release the player during the off-season.

8. A minor league player-manager who would be eligible for selection in the Rule 5 Draft if he was only a player can be selected, but if he is selected, the player-manager can reject the selection and retire. He has 30 days to decide. If he rejects the selection and opts to retire as a player, the player-manager is ineligible to be reinstated as a player for a minimum of one year.

***This year's deadline for protection is Monday, November 20th.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (10-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    RULE 5 DRAFT ELIGIBILITY

2. If a player signs his first contract after the conclusion of the season of the MLB or minor league club to which he is first assigned (even if he signs prior to the Rule 5 Draft), the next season is considered to be the player's "first qualified season" for Rule 5 eligibility purposes. (Depending on the minor league, the conclusion of a minor league club's season could be as early as the first week of August, or as late as the second week of September).
    Dougdirt, are you sure that Jesus Reyes is eligible? This rule has me thinking there's a chance he isn't. The AZL Reds' last game was in 2014 was on August 28th. I don't know the exact date that Reyes signed, but I believe it was in late August. Also, to my knowledge, he was never assigned to an affiliate, so that might make a difference, too.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Dougdirt, are you sure that Jesus Reyes is eligible? This rule has me thinking there's a chance he isn't. The AZL Reds' last game was in 2014 was on August 28th. I don't know the exact date that Reyes signed, but I believe it was in late August. Also, to my knowledge, he was never assigned to an affiliate, so that might make a difference, too.
    The Cincinnati Reds believe that Jesus Reyes is, and I'd imagine they would know.

And Reyes signed on the 28th of August that year. I too, wasn't sure about the rules and how they applied exactly for guys who signed and weren't assigned to a team. I asked someone with the Reds earlier this week and was told that yes, he is indeed eligible if unprotected.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Cincinnati Reds believe that Jesus Reyes is, and I'd imagine they would know.

And Reyes signed on the 28th of August that year. I too, wasn't sure about the rules and how they applied exactly for guys who signed and weren't assigned to a team. I asked someone with the Reds earlier this week and was told that yes, he is indeed eligible if unprotected.
    I wonder if this factored into discussions of the deal with him. I also wonder which party brought it up first if so. In retrospect, it would've been nice if the Reds had signed him a day later, but if that's what needed to happen to get the deal done, I understand.

I wonder if this factored into discussions of the deal with him. I also wonder which party brought it up first if so. In retrospect, it would've been nice if the Reds had signed him a day later, but if that's what needed to happen to get the deal done, I understand.
    He was a 22-year-old undrafted free agent. I doubt they even considered it something to worry about at the time. Realistically, they figured they'd be throwing a party if he ever reached the point where someone would consider taking him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He was a 22-year-old undrafted free agent. I doubt they even considered it something to worry about at the time. Realistically, they figured they'd be throwing a party if he ever reached the point where someone would consider taking him.
    I doubt it, too. I'm still curious though. It's not like he just recently started throwing as hard as he does, so if I had the foresight, I would've made the effort to sign him a day later.

I doubt it, too. I'm still curious though. It's not like he just recently started throwing as hard as he does, so if I had the foresight, I would've made the effort to sign him a day later.
    Not that he was a soft tosser when signed, but he's definitely throwing harder at the top end since he signed.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    After doug cleared up Reyes' qualifying status, I ended up protecting six guys: Reyes, Blandino, Long, Siri, Lopez and Weiss. That obviously has me excluding Cozart and LaValley. Cozart is left off because I think there is a very low chance he gets the QO and then signs a deal for more than $50M. I am surprised that I left off LaValley, but given a blocked path to PAs in Cincy and a horrible second half, I did not see more upside for him than I did the pitchers who I kept instead.

To add those six, I removed Wallach, Kivlehan and Vincej. Wallach was the easiest cut. I do not expect the Reds to remove Kivlehan because I think they like him a lot, despite him being a poor hitter and poor defender. They let him rack up 200+ PAs and he is young, so I am skeptical the Reds will make the move, even though I did. Vincej was tough because he is a good defender that has hit a little, but he seems redundant with Peraza. I also hope that he can develop at the dish like Cozart, but that may be a pipe dream.

Of the guys I chose to keep on the 40, I think Adleman was the guy who I was closest to leaving off. If the Reds really like a guy in the Rule 5 Draft, I think he would be the guy left off. Stephens may be the second closest to being removed. I know McGuire is older, but has good stuff and pitched much better in AA. Shackelford played himself into a bullpen spot with his awesome September (13 1/3 IP: 1.35 ERA, 3.53 FIP, 2.52 xFIP, 12.15 K/9, 2.70 BB/9 and 1.35 HR/9). Small sample size alert and all, but he has good stuff and won himself a spot in my pen as long as he does not fall apart in Spring Training or gets hurt. Mella is young enough and pitched well enough in AA to not really be close to the cut line for me.
    Wow, I am surprised that the Reds did pretty much exactly what I wanted them to do.

22. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (11-20-2017),StRedlegs900 (11-21-2017),Tom Servo (11-20-2017)

Turn Off Ads?