Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Instructional League

  1. #1
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    12,362

    Instructional League

    Lots of video of hitters here, including Long, Ty Steve, and Fairchild. Yari, Sansone, and Kolovsvary all have nice clean strokes. Does anyone see a hitch where Long drops his hands, not as pronounced as Eric Davis but along those lines? Stephenson's swing looks solid too.

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...oGQd1WAbAgk.97

  2. Likes:

    lollipopcurve (10-06-2017)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    11,886

    Re: Instructional League

    Shed's probably got a little too much going on with his swing, but he's got some violent bat speed.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  5. #3
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4,133

    Re: Instructional League

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Shed's probably got a little too much going on with his swing, but he's got some violent bat speed.
    Both Long and LH Randy Ventura looked like they had quick bats, but Ventura puts nothing behind his at all at this point. And his RH swing was horrid.

    Liked what looked like real power potential from Tyler Stephenson's bat too.

  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: Instructional League

    Marshall has a funny thing he does with his front foot. Looks like they would have simplified it. Also, who goes to instructs? It looks like mostly rookie league players, but then there is Long, Sansone and Stephenson.

  7. #5
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,466

    Re: Instructional League

    Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Marshall has a funny thing he does with his front foot. Looks like they would have simplified it. Also, who goes to instructs? It looks like mostly rookie league players, but then there is Long, Sansone and Stephenson.
    Mostly guys in rookie ball and low-A. I have the entire roster up at my site: http://redsminorleagues.com/2017/09/...league-roster/

    With that said, Shed is there to basically be a leader/mentor to some of the younger guys.

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: Instructional League

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Mostly guys in rookie ball and low-A. I have the entire roster up at my site: http://redsminorleagues.com/2017/09/...league-roster/

    With that said, Shed is there to basically be a leader/mentor to some of the younger guys.
    Thanks. If I had checked your site more frequently, I would not have had to ask.

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,726

    Re: Instructional League

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

    With that said, Shed is there to basically be a leader/mentor to some of the younger guys.
    Curious: Are you just supposing here, or have you specifically heard that the organization regards Shed in that fashion? If so, it's kind of interesting.

  10. Likes:

    redsmetz (10-23-2017)

  11. #8
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,466

    Re: Instructional League

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Curious: Are you just supposing here, or have you specifically heard that the organization regards Shed in that fashion? If so, it's kind of interesting.
    Heard that from the organization.

  12. Likes:

    mace (10-07-2017),redsmetz (10-23-2017)

  13. #9
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    12,362

    Re: Instructional League

    Josh Norris‏ @jnorris427 Oct 7
    More
    Edwin Yon, listed at 6-foot-5, is a giant human being #Reds
    Josh Norris‏ @jnorris427 Oct 7
    More
    Edwin Yon shows off light-tower power. His massive HR clangs off the light tower in left field. #Reds
    https://twitter.com/jnorris427

    He is also the source of the Hunter Greene outing video

  14. #10
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,466

    Re: Instructional League

    Edwin Yon truly is a big dude. Might be taller than his listed 6' 5".

    Haven't seen him since March. Young guy - turned 19 in July, so he's basically the same age as the high school draftees this year. Struggled big time in the AZL - 44 strikeouts in 96 plate appearances. No power (.235 slugging) in games. There's some bat speed though. Plenty of room to fill out and add strength.

  15. #11
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    12,362

    Re: Instructional League

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Edwin Yon truly is a big dude. Might be taller than his listed 6' 5".

    Haven't seen him since March. Young guy - turned 19 in July, so he's basically the same age as the high school draftees this year. Struggled big time in the AZL - 44 strikeouts in 96 plate appearances. No power (.235 slugging) in games. There's some bat speed though. Plenty of room to fill out and add strength.
    Which reminds me: did you ever hear what happened with Juan Duran? How about Yorman?


    Edit: I see Duran played in Independent Ball this year.
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=duran-003jua

  16. #12
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    36,442

    Re: Instructional League

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    With that said, Shed is there to basically be a leader/mentor to some of the younger guys.
    If they trust him to do that, sounds like maybe he's a guy they'd trust to be their 2B in the future.
    Wait until the year after next year.

  17. #13
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,466

    Re: Instructional League

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If they trust him to do that, sounds like maybe he's a guy they'd trust to be their 2B in the future.
    Maybe. But, he may need to beat Nick Senzel out for that spot.

  18. Likes:

    marcshoe (10-16-2017)

  19. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    24,861

    Re: Instructional League

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So Reds trade their most expensive arbitration player, Gennett. Move Senzel to second. Keep Suarez at third.

    Could be the plan.

    Shed Long fits the plan too.

    Suarez is three years from free agency. Eventually, Suarez is traded before FA. Senzel back to third. Shed Long to second.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-16-2017 at 01:27 PM.

  20. #15
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    36,442

    Re: Instructional League

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If that's the case, then they ought to be looking to deal Shed.
    Wait until the year after next year.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator