Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I signed up for MoviePass

Re: I signed up for MoviePass

I'm up to 4 movies now. $2.50 a movie. Would have been 5 except my cable modem died yesterday so I had to go shopping. My fourth was Happy Death Day. A slasher movie with a heart. (Star is pretty easy on the eyes, also).
    Last edited by JaxRed; 10-28-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Went to movie #7 today. 1- Kingsman. 2. American Made, 3. Foreigner 4. Happy Death Day 5. Madea Boo 2 6. Geostorm 7. Bad Mom Xmas. $1.42 per movie.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

I just got an email allowing me to switch to a plan that is only $6.95 per month. I had to pay for 12 months up-front rather than paying $9.95 each month, but it's such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. Now all I have to do is see one movie per month and I come out ahead...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with everything here except the part about Trump promising to drain the swamp of rich elites. When did he say that? I think he's putting in rich guys with the idea that they can't be bought. I don't think he ever promised not to put in rich white guys.

I also signed up for $6.95 ($89.95 paid up front) plan. Did it just in time for my renewal which was today. I figured there were 2 risks. Risk one is company folds and I lose my $89.95. I figure with each movie I see my risk goes down. It does strike me as bit of a 'cash grab'.

The second risk is they decide unlimited movies is too much and they limit it to 5 or something. I'm kind of assuming we would be grandfathered (literally, in my case) until the year is up. Could be wrong.

I ended up seeing 2 more movies (Daddy's Home 2 and Orient Express) for a total of 9 and $1.11 per movie. ( I plan to be "better" in the future. I had a few medical issues that held me back this month)

So a couple months have passed since last post. I've seen 11 movies since I signed up for the annual plan. I'll actually start seeing more (more on that laer). I didn't see any over holidays because I didn't want to fight crowds.

So the two things that have changed a bit. I'm seeing the first effort at monetization that I've noticed. I've gotten 2 emails recently suggesting I go see certain movies. I assume they are getting paid for that, and I assume they will be able to say ".01 of the public saw your film but .05 of the people we sent the email to did").

Secondly, I had read something that was either wrong or has since changed. I was told you could only see 1 movie in a 24 hour period. So If I saw a 1:00 PM movie, I could not see a 12:00 PM movie the next. It would have to be a movie later than 1:00 PM. That is incorrect. It's one movie every calendar day which makes it way more convenient for me and will allow me to see more movies.

Well the gig is up. At least for new folks. The "one movie a day plan" is gone. Probably forever. Replaced by a 4 movies a month for $10 plan. I get to keep my year long plan till it expires in November. So far since Nov of 2017 I've seen 35 movies and my cost per movie is down to $2.57.

My goal is 90 movies so I can get it below $1.00.

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Well the gig is up. At least for new folks. The "one movie a day plan" is gone. Probably forever. Replaced by a 4 movies a month for $10 plan. I get to keep my year long plan till it expires in November. So far since Nov of 2017 I've seen 35 movies and my cost per movie is down to $2.57.

My goal is 90 movies so I can get it below $1.00.
    This was inevitable, but this was more drastic and sudden than I expected. In the end, however, it's still a great deal. A movie marketing guy told me MoviePass makes money if the average is around 2.5 movies a month. This should get them close to that.

And smart marketing. They got a ton of free press with their insane initial deal, and now are a household name.
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

I'd considered getting it when it came out but figured it would fold before I ever got my year's worth out of it. Also, I'm fairly cynical and there honestly just isn't much Hollywood is pumping out I even care to spend time watching on Netflix/DVD/Redbox etc much less go to the theater. 4 movies a month now is still a great value no doubt, but again, I know myself well enough to know I may only go to the theater one time in a calendar year. Glad to hear that it works pretty seamlessly, the gf may still sign up for it even with the new policy in place. I still don't understand why they think 3 months of iheartradio's subscription service is intriguing enough to get people to disregard losing the unlimited option. That is a bit of a head scratcher.

Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

I got in on it before they changed it up. Sweet deal when you live in a large city. Got a pile of theaters to choose from. Also got it at a discount. For some reason they gave me a price drop to $6.95/month after I went to the site and didn't sign up. My wife and I should get to 60-70 movies for the year.
    Wait until the year after next year.

I'm on the old plan till November. I'm at $2.50 a movie for what I've seen so far. Ironically, $2.50 is what it will cost per movie on the new $10.00 a month plan. I'm likely to opt for that come November. at $2.50 a movie I'm a customer. (not buying snacks).

I also had to take a photo (with the app) of my ticket this time. I guess that will be standard form now on.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I also had to take a photo (with the app) of my ticket this time. I guess that will be standard form now on.
    Yeah, they just added that last week. Seems excessive. Already had to be within 100 yards of the theater to check-in. Doesn't seem like it would stop anyone from getting a ticket for someone else if they're already that close.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Well apparently MoviePass relented and reinstated the one movie a day plan. There was a big outcry. And apparently the stock took a major major hit this week.

Just signed up for this. I was surprised that they send you a card. This seems like a pointless step in the process when they can just have your account info in the app.

It's a credit/debit card. It's what you pay with. Either to swipe yourself (no chip) or hand to cashier....

Turn Off Ads?