Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cozart decision

The Cozart decision

Per Jon Heyman, the Reds will be discussing whether or not to give him a QO this weekend at their organizational meetings https://www.fanragsports.com/inside-...moment-in-sun/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Cozart decision

I don't even know why there's a discussion.

Should we give him a QO?

NO!

Alright, lets order pizza.
    Go Gators!

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-13-2017),dougdirt (10-12-2017),Edd Roush (10-13-2017),Griffey012 (10-13-2017),MR X (10-15-2017),Red Raindog (10-13-2017),REDREAD (10-13-2017),reds1869 (10-13-2017),Ron Madden (10-13-2017),Roy Tucker (10-13-2017),Tom Servo (10-13-2017)

I posted the article because Heyman quotes an unnamed person as it being a "no-brainer" to offer him a QO, which I disagree with because I think he'll take it and that would be a huge overpay. I've been scouring the internets and can't find anything about a market for an oft-injured SS coming off a career year, until I do I wouldn't offer him anywhere near the $$$ of a QO.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (10-13-2017),Ron Madden (10-13-2017)

I'm against doing it so that's why I predict they do tender a QO. I further predict they do so, planning on him accepting it. They decide to try and bring him back as a bridge to find a better replacement option than Peraza/Vincej/Suarez. I think they decide $18.5M for a year beats the risk of a longer deal.

9. Likes:

Hoosier Red (10-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I'm against doing it so that's why I predict they do tender a QO. I further predict they do so, planning on him accepting it. They decide to try and bring him back as a bridge to find a better replacement option than Peraza/Vincej/Suarez. I think they decide $18.5M for a year beats the risk of a longer deal.
    Well under your scenario they just found some money because the QO is going to be $17.4 next year!

11. Likes:

Hoosier Red (10-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I agree with this. They will not extend a QO unless they are fine with acceptance. Makes you wonder what kind of money he was seeking on a deal.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...at-17-4mm.html

MLB Sets 2017-18 Qualifying Offer At $17.4MM

Major League Baseball has set the qualifying offer for the upcoming offseason at $17.4MM, MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes reports (Twitter link).
    With the news, teams can now make full assessments of whether to issue qualifying offers to pending free agents. Offers are due five days after the World Series wraps up; players will then have ten days to weigh them.
    Prior indications were that the figure would land somewhat higher, with expectations sitting in the range of $18.1MM. Last year, the QO sat at $17.2MM, so this represents only a marginal tick upward. Though the variations here are relatively small relative to the total value, every bit of money adds up for teams that are looking to map out a payroll plan.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-13-2017)

They call me "chef"

I heard this is airing as a special on ESPN297.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Guys, just stop arguing with him. He will literally never stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Larry is living the role of the underachiever who's still struggling to get a life so he spends hours upon hours posting worthless bilge on the 'net
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo!
    I think those are just two separate quotes and not meant to be taken together.

I Hope And Pray The Reds Have Better Sense Than To Offer Anything Close To 17.2MM

17. Likes:

KronoRed (10-13-2017),REDREAD (10-13-2017)

I really do think they have a lot more money available than most of us think. I think they are more afraid of being saddled with bad contracts for the next window, than actually spending money. So a 1 year deal, even inflated, makes sense.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

19. Likes:

Hoosier Red (10-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I Hope And Pray The Reds Have Better Sense Than To Offer Anything Close To 17.2MM
    Itís a little over 2 wins worth of salary. Cozart would earn that easily relative to Peraza, but I think not-so-much relative to Senzel. So it all depends on what they plan to do with him. I *think* the Reds are smart enough to know this, so whatever they do with Cozart could be signal about the whole Suarez/Senzel thing, but OTOH I fear they have an irrational infatuation with Peraza, and might leave him the full-time SS, which is the only crazy outcome of all this IMO.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Little risk in offering any player a 1 year contract.

I'd give it.

Cozart will only accept it if there isn't any long term deal available.

And the Reds would get another potential opportunity in trading him if some team needs a quality SS next year at the deadline.

Cozart was an exceptional player last year. Even with some regression, he is a quality SS.

22. Likes:

mbgrayson (10-13-2017),RiverRat13 (10-14-2017)

Greg Holland has already turned down his $15M option, and made clear he will turn down a QO if offered by the Rockies.

Holland plays a much less valuable position than Cozart, isn't nearly as good, never was as a good as Cozart is now. Is the same age, and has injury issues, having had a TJ surgery in 2015, plus lost time this season due to a cut on his pitching hand.

If Greg Holland is turning down his $15M option and a $17M QO, then I think it's safe to say Cozart will turn down a QO, if offered.
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Greg Holland has already turned down his $15M option, and made clear he will turn down a QO if offered by the Rockies.

Holland plays a much less valuable position than Cozart, isn't nearly as good, never was as a good as Cozart is now. Is the same age, and has injury issues, having had a TJ surgery in 2015, plus lost time this season due to a cut on his pitching hand.

If Greg Holland is turning down his $15M option and a $17M QO, then I think it's safe to say Cozart will turn down a QO, if offered.
    The market for relievers and the market for shortstops are very different

25. Likes:

mth123 (10-13-2017)

Turn Off Ads?