Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: MLB Sets 2017-18 Qualifying Offer At $17.4MM

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: MLB Sets 2017-18 Qualifying Offer At $17.4MM

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    My comment was in response to Benihana whose hypothetical said "Senzel couldn't play 2nd."
    Even if he's right (and I don't think he is), Senzel could still play a corner outfield spot. Alonso couldn't.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Even if he's right (and I don't think he is), Senzel could still play a corner outfield spot. Alonso couldn't.
    Again, I was responding to his comment which said no 2B or OF.

- - - Updated - - -

So, if his comment were to come to fruition (and at no time did I agree with his hypothetical), then we'd back to the same situation as Votto/Alonso.

Again, I was responding to his comment which said no 2B or OF.

- - - Updated - - -

So, if his comment were to come to fruition (and at no time did I agree with his hypothetical), then we'd back to the same situation as Votto/Alonso.
    It was kind of hard to know you were replying to someone when you didn't actually reply to someone.

Here is the thing about Senzel at 2B vs. RF. The Reds have four guys lined up who could be above average players at 2B IMO. Gennett, Herrera, Blandino and Long. Schebler, Duvall might be average at best (even as a platoon), Ervin is an iffy bench guy. Nobody in the high minors IMO looks like a starting caliber OF. I think it's best for the Reds to have an All Star in RF and a bunch of options at 2B over a bunch of journeymen in the OF and excess that there is no room for in the IF. As I said earlier, if he becomes Mookie Betts in RF, who has a problem with that?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Swanson does not seem like of much of an upgrade over Peraza
    Teheran I like as an innings eater but he was walk (3.66) and HR(1.48) prone last year is bad for GABP
    Enciarte Is an upgrade over Hamilton with the bat (but not as good on the bases or on defense) WAR over last 4 years 11.5 to 10 in favor of Enciarte

But Suarez+ect should fetch a way better return
    Inciarte is locked up to a reasonable deal through 2022. Hamilton is a FA after 2019. Huge upgrade there.
    Teheran is locked up for three years and has 5 seasons of 185 innings and an ERA+ of at least 95 with three of those over 115. Also locked up for 3 years at a reasonable price. He's better than any returning pitcher at this point and still probably a decent mid-rotation starter if a couple of the kids pass him by.
    Swanson has way more upside at SS than anyone the Res have had since Barry Larkin. I'm not saying that I think he will approach that level of productivity, but if he becomes, say, JJ Hardy, that's a big win.

The Braves would probably be the team to say no to that deal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

To be clear, I never suggested Senzel couldn't play 2B.

I was just saying IF he can't play 2B (for whatever reason, including who the incumbent may be there), then I'd look to move or trade Suarez before I'd look to trade Senzel (or move him to the OF).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If the Reds move Suarez, Swanson and a young arm isn't enough.

Slobberknocker alert: Suarez, Duvall, Hamilton, Lorenzen, Peraza for Enciarte, Teheran and Swanson.
    You're telling me you wouldn't consider Suarez for Swanson and one of Anderson/Allard?
    Go BLUE!!!

Here are this year’s nine free agents who were extended a qualifying offer by their teams):

Jake Arrieta, SP, Cubs
    Lance Lynn, SP, Cardinals
    Alex Cobb, SP, Rays
    Wade Davis, RP, Cubs
    Greg Holland, RP, Rockies
    Carlos Santana, 1B, Indians
    Eric Hosmer, 1B, Royals
    Mike Moustakas, 3B, Royals
    Lorenzo Cain, OF, Royals

9. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2017)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Here are this year’s nine free agents who were extended a qualifying offer by their teams):

Jake Arrieta, SP, Cubs
    Lance Lynn, SP, Cardinals
    Alex Cobb, SP, Rays
    Wade Davis, RP, Cubs
    Greg Holland, RP, Rockies
    Carlos Santana, 1B, Indians
    Eric Hosmer, 1B, Royals
    Mike Moustakas, 3B, Royals
    Lorenzo Cain, OF, Royals
    And Here's a short article on it. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ng-offers.html

I wouldn't be surprised to see the relievers on that list accept.
    Stick to your guns.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2017)

Interesting that 3 of the 9 are from one team, that will certainly help a rebuild.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Interesting that 3 of the 9 are from one team, that will certainly help a rebuild.
    It may. But picking in the 30's isn't the same as picking in the single digits.

It may. But picking in the 30's isn't the same as picking in the single digits.
    A pick is better then jack squat.

*Also better the getting stuck paying for those guys.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    A pick is better then jack squat.

*Also better the getting stuck paying for those guys.
    If the pick works, it's better than jack squat. If the three picks don't work out, maybe you could have used that extra $6M in a different, and maybe better way.

Not having to pay him in August and September would have been worth slightly more than jack squat.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2017)

Turn Off Ads?