Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MLB Sets 2017-18 Qualifying Offer At $17.4MM

Re: MLB Sets 2017-18 Qualifying Offer At $17.4MM

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Nope. It's just the most likely way that they can get all their best players on the field at one time. That should be the goal. It's fairly common for guys to go from the IF to the OF to make room for their bats. Since the Reds don't seem interested in Suarez at SS, they are saying they view Gennett as more of an everyday player than a reserve. There is no DH spot. It's either that or Trade Suarez. I think they should give this a chance first.
    I never like to predict the future, but Senzel to the outfield is very doubtful in the near future.

Senzel would likely be very unhappy with the move.

A top hitting third baseman has more value than a similar bat in corner outfield. By putting him in, say, left field, the Reds are making Senzel a less valuable commodity. Particularly if Senzel can handle infield defensively.

Senzel is the Reds’ most valuable asset IMO. Even more than Hunter Greene who, at this point, is far from the majors. I doubt the Reds will ask him to go to left field.

2. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (10-15-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I never like to predict the future, but Senzel to the outfield is very doubtful in the near future.

Senzel would likely be very unhappy with the move.

A top hitting third baseman has more value than a similar bat in corner outfield. By putting him in, say, left field, the Reds are making Senzel a less valuable commodity. Particularly if Senzel can handle infield defensively.

Senzel is the Reds’ most valuable asset IMO. Even more than Hunter Greene who, at this point, is far from the majors. I doubt the Reds will ask him to go to left field.
    I mean he might not like it but...so what? He's controlled for 6 years and will almost surely be gone after that. If he's the kind of guy who gets mad about having to go to the outfield because of cash considerations, I doubt he is the kind of guy who is going to give you that 2 or 3 years of free agency buy out as a security blanket. He's gunning to get to free agency as fast as possible.

Furthermore, guys have moved to the outfield and come back to the infield, ala Chipper Jones. He can play third on Suarez's days off, etc. I'd like to see the Reds work to get their best 8 on that day out in the field, and that means positional flexibility and platoons.

Quote Originally Posted by GaiusBallstar View Post
    I mean he might not like it but...so what? He's controlled for 6 years and will almost surely be gone after that. If he's the kind of guy who gets mad about having to go to the outfield because of cash considerations, I doubt he is the kind of guy who is going to give you that 2 or 3 years of free agency buy out as a security blanket. He's gunning to get to free agency as fast as possible.

Furthermore, guys have moved to the outfield and come back to the infield, ala Chipper Jones. He can play third on Suarez's days off, etc. I'd like to see the Reds work to get their best 8 on that day out in the field, and that means positional flexibility and platoons.
    I doubt the Reds would feel that way - Senzel's a blossoming star and Reds won't want bitterness from the beginning of the relationship.

They want the reputation of taking care of their young stars; so the next guy they draft doesn't say "screw them, I'm going to college."

Reds can't promise Senzel he will come back to the infield. That would be like agreeing to trade Suarez.

It's certainly not impossible, but I don't think they will move Senzel to the outfield at this stage of his career.

I doubt the Reds would feel that way - Senzel's a blossoming star and Reds won't want bitterness from the beginning of the relationship.
    Why does it matter? I think they will trade him before he becomes too expensive, anyway. Cash him in for more prospects when he becomes eligible for arbitration.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

They want the reputation of taking care of their young stars; so the next guy they draft doesn't say "screw them, I'm going to college."

Reds can't promise Senzel he will come back to the infield. That would be like agreeing to trade Suarez.

It's certainly not impossible, but I don't think they will move Senzel to the outfield at this stage of his career.
    I don't discount your thought process here, it makes sense, but I think you are overthinking it. The Reds simply need to treat these guys as assets and put them in the best position to succeed as a team, that is, winning baseball games.

It might be football but the Patriots treat their players like disposable objects to be used only to further the ultimate goal of winning (while the Bengals coddle malcontents with regularity). That kind of ruthlessness pays dividends for them. And say what you will about the ridiculous "Cardinal Way," but one day I'd like to have Cardinal's fans roll their eyes at the "Red's Way."

If Senzel doesn't like moving tough luck, and if prospect #4 doesn't like it then I'll pick prospect #5, they're both lottery tickets anyway, and the odds of success are similar if I'm doing the research correctly. You'd also hope that Senzel would just be happy to get the call, and not take anything for granted, that's the "type" that tends to play nice with others.

Also, I wouldn't promise Senzel anything but what's in the terms of his contract anyway. I just was giving a possibility.

Overall, I think they just need to get the best 9 on the field. If someone doesn't like where they end up, mitigate it and move on.

Has Cozart put his house up for sale, yet?

He may as well.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

9. Likes:

REDREAD (10-24-2017)

It makes no sense to spend any more money on Offense. If "money" is to be invested, put it into pitching and/or pitching development.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

11. Likes:

REDREAD (10-24-2017)

If Senzel turns into a star, he'll get paid. If moving him to the OF opens a path to the big leagues and starts ticking away service time towards free agency, he'll get paid sooner and make more overall. Hitting Free agency at 28 will get him a ton more money over his career than waiting until say 30. If he stays at 3B, he may have to wait quite a while. I just don't think the money aspect holds much water. Guys move from the IF to the OF with very little prep time in the minors fairly regularly. The Reds just did it with Duvall a couple of years ago. As I said, it sure hasn't hurt Mookie Betts any. He had about a month and a half playing OF in the minors before becoming a big league star.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Is it just me, or is Zack Cozart one of only two position players who might receive a qualifying offer? I figure Mike Moustakas or Lorenzo Cain will get one. Maybe Carlos Gomez, but I highly doubt it. For pitchers, I could potentially see any of the following:

Jake Arrieta or Wade Davis
    Jhoulys Chacin
    Alex Cobb
    Lance Lynn
    Michael Pineda or Masahiro Tanaka
    Jason Vargas (or Mike Moustakas or Lorenzo Cain)

Is there anyone I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Why does it matter? I think they will trade him before he becomes too expensive, anyway. Cash him in for more prospects when he becomes eligible for arbitration.
    Yeah, like they did with Bruce, Phillips, and Votto.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-16-2017),Edd Roush (10-16-2017),Raisor (10-15-2017),Vander (10-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Is it just me, or is Zack Cozart one of only two position players who might receive a qualifying offer?
    I don't see the Reds making Cozart a QO.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (10-24-2017)

Is it just me, or is Zack Cozart one of only two position players who might receive a qualifying offer? I figure Mike Moustakas or Lorenzo Cain will get one. Maybe Carlos Gomez, but I highly doubt it. For pitchers, I could potentially see any of the following:

Jhoulys Chacin
    Alex Cobb
    Lance Lynn

Eric Hosmer?

19. Likes:

camisadelgolf (10-17-2017)

Jhoulys Chacin
    Alex Cobb
    Lance Lynn

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...-market-2.html

21. Likes:

camisadelgolf (10-17-2017)

From the article...

Cozart’s case is an interesting test run for the new free agent compensation rules. If the original rules still applied, the Reds might be more inclined to take the risk of extending the QO since they would’ve landed a draft pick after the first round if Cozart rejected the offer and signed elsewhere. Under the new rules, however, the Reds (a revenue-sharing recipient) can only recoup a pick after the first round if Cozart signs elsewhere for at least $50MM guaranteed. If his next deal is less than $50MM, which is a distinct possibility given the lack of teams looking for shortstops, Cincinnati would only get the standard compensation pick prior to the third round.
    That's it in a nutshell folks. As said, it's "interesting." Who knows what will happen.

23. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-19-2017),REDREAD (10-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If Senzel turns into a star, he'll get paid. If moving him to the OF opens a path to the big leagues and starts ticking away service time towards free agency, he'll get paid sooner and make more overall. Hitting Free agency at 28 will get him a ton more money over his career than waiting until say 30. If he stays at 3B, he may have to wait quite a while. I just don't think the money aspect holds much water. Guys move from the IF to the OF with very little prep time in the minors fairly regularly. The Reds just did it with Duvall a couple of years ago. As I said, it sure hasn't hurt Mookie Betts any. He had about a month and a half playing OF in the minors before becoming a big league star.
    Senzel as an infielder (likely second or third base) is more valuable than as a corner outfielder.

Great hitters who can field at second, third or short are more valuable than similar corner outfielders.

Senzel knows this. The Reds know this. Everybody knows it.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-19-2017 at 10:20 AM.

25. Likes:

WVRedsFan (10-19-2017)

Turn Off Ads?