Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlins Looking to Clean House Again

Marlins Looking to Clean House Again

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...0-million.html

I'll take Christian Yelich with a side of terrible contracts for $1000, Alex.

Yelich is set to make 7m, 9.8m, 12.5m, 14m, 15m (option) from 2018-2022. I am drooling picturing a lineup with Winker leading off, Yelich 2nd, and Votto 3rd. I'd immediately ship them some solid prospects and Billy for Yelich + Ziegler + Tazawa. That would knock about $17M net off their books for 2018.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Likes:

Freak25 (10-20-2017),M2 (10-13-2017),OhioRiverBarge (10-13-2017),REDREAD (11-06-2017),RedsManRick (10-13-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marlins Looking to Clean House Again

I'd love to have Yelich but I really can't fool myself into thinking the Reds would actually do it.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-13-2017),Revering4Blue (10-13-2017),StRedlegs900 (10-13-2017)

I'd off load that monstrosity in the outfield too

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'd off load that monstrosity in the outfield too
    But who would want it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    But who would want it?

The Marlins are a great example of why the Reds doing what they did last off-season (nearly nothing) was a good move. Looks at all the awful contracts on the books for the Marlins from this past off-season. $29M tied up in 2018 between Volquez, Tazawa, and Ziegler. Not to mention the 2016 albatross they gave to Wei-Yin Chin. They don't have money to plug actual holes now after trying to "Win-Now" with a questionable supporting cast.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...ontracts.shtml
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

11. Likes:

JaxRed (10-13-2017),nmculbreth (10-13-2017),OGB (10-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    The Marlins are a great example of why the Reds doing what they did last off-season (nearly nothing) was a good move. Looks at all the awful contracts on the books for the Marlins from this past off-season. $29M tied up in 2018 between Volquez, Tazawa, and Ziegler. Not to mention the 2016 albatross they gave to Wei-Yin Chin. They don't have money to plug actual holes now after trying to "Win-Now" with a questionable supporting cast.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...ontracts.shtml
    I think I'd prefer the periodic swing-and-miss approach of the Marlins than the perpetual parsimony and round of excuses endemic to the Reds organization.

13. Likes:

Kinsm (10-13-2017),REDREAD (11-06-2017),texasdave (11-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'd love to have Yelich but I really can't fool myself into thinking the Reds would actually do it.
    Same here, also I can't think of the Marlins would want that wouldn't empty the Reds system.
    Go Gators!

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I think I'd prefer the periodic swing-and-miss approach of the Marlins than the perpetual parsimony and round of excuses endemic to the Reds organization.
    This is a myth. There is no swing and miss approach with the Marlins after they caught lightning in a bottle in 2H 2003. They just miss and miss and miss. Only one season with more than 84 wins since 2003 (87 in 2009 the last winning season). No playoffs since 2003.

A rudderless franchise with no fan base and probably the 8th or 9th sports entity in South Florida

16. Likes:

KYExtemper (11-03-2017),OGB (10-14-2017),Tom Servo (10-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    This is a myth. There is no swing and miss approach with the Marlins after they caught lightning in a bottle in 2H 2003. They just miss and miss and miss. Only one season with more than 84 wins since 2003 (87 in 2009 the last winning season). No playoffs since 2003.

A rudderless franchise with no fan base and probably the 8th or 9th sports entity in South Florida
    I'm not sure what the poor fan base has to do with it. That's primarily due to the location (beaches, nightlife, etc.) and crappy owner.

Since the Expos became the Marlins, they've won 47 percent of their games and won two World Series.

Without doing the math, that's better than the Reds. I prefer that.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (11-06-2017)

I'm not sure what the poor fan base has to do with it. That's primarily due to the location (beaches, nightlife, etc.) and crappy owner.

Since the Expos became the Marlins, they've won 47 percent of their games and won two World Series.

Expos became the Marlins?

- - - Updated - - -

When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Between 1996 and 1997, the Marlins signed or traded for: Kevin Brown
    Livan Hernandez
    Al Leiter
    Rick Heilig
    Alex Fernandez
    Cliff Lee
    Moises Alou
    Devon White
    Bobby Bonilla
    Darren Daulton
    Craig Counsell
    John Cangelosi
    Jim Eisenreich
    Dennis Cook

It's amazing to think about what that would cost you in 2017 dollars with equivalent current players.
    That starting pitching alone would be about $100 million per year.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Botched that. I'm an idiot.

Point stands though. Both teams have sucked for a long time. One team has won a pair of World Series. The other slogged through a Lost Decade, showed a brief glimmer of hope, then became the worst organization in baseball.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (11-06-2017)

https://twitter.com/buster_espn/stat...68030053773312

Miami is informing other teams that it is willing to listen on Stanton, Gordon, and Prado but will not entertain offers on Yelich and Ozuna at this time, according to ESPN.com’s Buster Olney (via Twitter).
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

Can Gordon play SS? If so, Peraza and Stephenson for Gordon would make a little sense.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Turn Off Ads?