Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

  1. #1
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,539

    Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    So, I hooked up my N64 and PS3 to my new 4K LED tv and it’s not widescreen.

    PS3 has HDMI, but the port is broken so I’ve been using RCA comp cables for years. It worked fine with my 1080p tv, but not the 4K.

    I’ve been doing some research and came across an RCA to HDMI mini box on amazon for $18. Will this work? Has anyone used this before?

    Thanks!
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    59,978

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    A lot of newer TV's don't know what to do with 240P signals like you would get from an N64.

    As a bit of a retro gamer I have to ask why you would want widescreen from the N64, that's now how it's supposed to look.
    Go Gators!

  4. #3
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,539

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    A lot of newer TV's don't know what to do with 240P signals like you would get from an N64.

    As a bit of a retro gamer I have to ask why you would want widescreen from the N64, that's now how it's supposed to look.
    It’s fine for the N64, but looks terrible with the ps3
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  5. #4
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,922

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    You can buy a pre-owned PS3 from Gamestop for $70. I'd do that before dealing with 480p gaming when I could get HD gaming for $50 more - https://www.gamestop.com/ps3/console...tem-40gb/68044

  6. #5
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,539

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You can buy a pre-owned PS3 from Gamestop for $70. I'd do that before dealing with 480p gaming when I could get HD gaming for $50 more - https://www.gamestop.com/ps3/console...tem-40gb/68044
    So, the mini box will not convert to HD?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  7. #6
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    59,978

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    Are you using Component Cables (5 cables Red/Blue/Green for video Red/White for audio) or Composite (3 cables Yellow/Red/White) ?

    I have a Ps3 with component cables and it looks great.
    Go Gators!

  8. #7
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,539

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Are you using Component Cables (5 cables Red/Blue/Green for video Red/White for audio) or Composite (3 cables Yellow/Red/White) ?

    I have a Ps3 with component cables and it looks great.
    It has like red white and then yellow green blue and red. I used to use it on my 1080p LED tv and it worked fine, but I recently got a 4K LED and it doesn’t seem to work with it, I played around with the settings for awhile but can’t make it widescreen or HD.

    I just figured out the issue. The Samsung 1080p has component input and the TCL only has composite. I’m going to have to get that mini box.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 10-13-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  9. #8
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,539

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    Lol.

    Well, I’m an idiot.

    Years ago and 2 TV’s ago we had a crappy 32 inch Element. The HDMI stopped working and I thought it was the PS3, turns out it was the TV’s port. Just hooked up the PS3 using an HDMI cord and it looks excellent.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  10. #9
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,922

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lol.

    Well, I’m an idiot.

    Years ago and 2 TV’s ago we had a crappy 32 inch Element. The HDMI stopped working and I thought it was the PS3, turns out it was the TV’s port. Just hooked up the PS3 using an HDMI cord and it looks excellent.

  11. Likes:

    RedTeamGo! (10-13-2017),TRF (10-16-2017)

  12. #10
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    13,422

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    Somewhat related -- I managed to get my hands on an SNES Mini.

    Really loving it.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

  13. Likes:

    RedTeamGo! (10-16-2017)

  14. #11
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,512

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Somewhat related -- I managed to get my hands on an SNES Mini.

    Really loving it.
    Did you hack it and download more games?

    I want to do that to ours, just trying to set aside the time to do it with a newborn is pretty tough.

  15. #12
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    13,422

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Did you hack it and download more games?

    I want to do that to ours, just trying to set aside the time to do it with a newborn is pretty tough.
    Yup — the software is ridiculously easy to use. If you go onto Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNES/) there are links to all the files needed.

    Took me about 20/30 minutes total and added:
    - ActRaiser
    - Battletoads & Double Dragon
    - Breath of Fire
    - ChronoTrigger
    - Dracula X
    - Final Fantasy II
    - Final Fantasy V
    - Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball
    - NBA Jam Tournament Edition
    - Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
    - Secret of Evermore
    - Star Ocean
    - Super Star Wars
    - Super Mario All Stars
    - Super Empire Strikes Back
    - Super Return of the Jedi
    - Tales of Phantasia
    - Turtles in Time
    - Tetris & Dr. Mario
    - Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

  16. Likes:

    Dom Heffner (10-16-2017)

  17. #13
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,512

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Yup — the software is ridiculously easy to use. If you go onto Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNES/) there are links to all the files needed.

    Took me about 20/30 minutes total and added:
    - ActRaiser
    - Battletoads & Double Dragon
    - Breath of Fire
    - ChronoTrigger
    - Dracula X
    - Final Fantasy II
    - Final Fantasy V
    - Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball
    - NBA Jam Tournament Edition
    - Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
    - Secret of Evermore
    - Star Ocean
    - Super Star Wars
    - Super Mario All Stars
    - Super Empire Strikes Back
    - Super Return of the Jedi
    - Tales of Phantasia
    - Turtles in Time
    - Tetris & Dr. Mario
    - Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    Do they have Tecmo Super Bowl? Because that is all I want lol...

    Thanks for the link I'm going to try it.

  18. #14
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    13,422

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Do they have Tecmo Super Bowl? Because that is all I want lol...

    Thanks for the link I'm going to try it.
    Not only do they have Tecmo Super Bowl, you can also install software to run NES games on your SNES -- so you can play OG Tecmo Bowl as well.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

  19. Likes:

    Dom Heffner (10-16-2017)

  20. #15
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,512

    Re: Old Game Consoles on 4K LED TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Not only do they have Tecmo Super Bowl, you can also install software to run NES games on your SNES -- so you can play OG Tecmo Bowl as well.
    Dude!! Dude!!!!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator