Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AFL

Re: AFL

I was in Scottsdale for a conference and snuck away to see the AFL's Bowman Hitting Challenge last night. It was part home run derby and part Japanese game show. Blake Trahan was the Reds' representative, and he looked pretty good against the competition. I think he placed third or fourth among the NL prospects there. If MLB incorporates giant balloon arches, bucket pyramids, and moving targets into regular play, he might really have a future.

2. Likes:

BillDoran (10-22-2017),Bourgeois Zee (10-22-2017),marcshoe (10-22-2017),mth123 (10-22-2017),Raisor (10-22-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Honestly, I'm not sure why I bother to check AFL stats every year. It seems every year, I glance to check on the Reds' prospects, and I usually see that the Reds' players do pretty well (small sample sizes) ... until I remember that these really aren't any of the players I follow during the regular season. Taylor Sparks? Blake Trahan? I'm not sure I looked at either of their stats even one time during the minor league season.
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure why I bother to check AFL stats every year. It seems every year, I glance to check on the Reds' prospects, and I usually see that the Reds' players do pretty well (small sample sizes) ... until I remember that these really aren't any of the players I follow during the regular season. Taylor Sparks? Blake Trahan? I'm not sure I looked at either of their stats even one time during the minor league season.
    It's not always that way.

In 2015 they sent Blandino, Ervin, Travieso and Weiss. In 2014 it was Waldrop, Winker, Nick Howard, Raisel Iglesias.

The last two years, though, have been about as non-prospecty as you could be.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

In 2015 they sent Blandino, Ervin, Travieso and Weiss. In 2014 it was Waldrop, Winker, Nick Howard, Raisel Iglesias.

What is the value of the AFL? With teams sharing rosters do the players sent there really get that much playing time? If they need to work on something, would they be as well served by the instructional league? If they were getting significant playing time under their own coaches against other AA players, I could see it. That does not appear to be the case, however.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    What is the value of the AFL? With teams sharing rosters do the players sent there really get that much playing time? If they need to work on something, would they be as well served by the instructional league? If they were getting significant playing time under their own coaches against other AA players, I could see it. That does not appear to be the case, however.
    Different guys go for different reasons. The hitting coach for Scottsdale is a Reds hitting coach, so the position guys are working with one of their own. The level of competition is way up from what you'll see in instructional league for sure. Some guys are there just to make up for lost time due to injury - Sparks and Bender. Also of note, instructs are almost over by the time the AFL starts, so, in theory, a player could actually do both.

8. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (10-23-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Guess I have a short attention span!
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

Congratulations to Brennan Bernardino, who appears to be the lone Reds "Fall Star" in the upcoming game. He's pitched 5 solid innings in AZ.

Turn Off Ads?