Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Girardi out as Yankees manager

Re: Girardi out as Yankees manager

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I agree. I'm sure the Reds won't be the only team interested, but his teams have won, he's faced pressure to win every year, and the Reds will need that mindset hopefully very soon.

If offered enough money, I could see Girardi having interest in a team well along in rebuilding. If he gets them to .500 he'll get a parade.
    Another parade?! I thought Dusty was a good manager when he was here but I also thought the Reds could do better. I hoped they would have sacked/persuaded Dusty to retire after the Sox fired Tito so he could come here. But, IIRC, that was the season where had the health problems and it may have looked pretty bad to fire a guy after that. I wouldn't mind seeing Girardi here. If he's still unemployed next year, I wouldn't hesitate to use any excuse I could to drop Price and hire him. Make it worth his while. Tell him he can come here and beat those Cubbies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I agree. I'm sure the Reds won't be the only team interested, but Girardi's teams have won, he's faced pressure to win every year, and the Reds will need that mindset hopefully very soon.

If offered enough money, I could see Girardi having interest in a team well along in rebuilding. If he gets them to .500 he'll get a parade.
    The Nats or Mets might scoop him up instantly, though he might want to take a year to recharge his batteries. If he does that, the ChiSox, Seattle, Toronto and Atlanta strike me as prime locations for him. Also, Derek Jeter might make a play for him to come back to the Marlins. I'm told they have some history together.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    “With a heavy heart, I come to you because the Yankees have decided not to bring me back.”

He was let go, which is surprising. I could have seen Girardi deciding to move on, but I have no idea why the Yankees thought they could do better. The Yankees were supposed to be continuing a rebuild this season, and made it one game away from the World Series.
    Pretty much what I came to post. The Yankees were not meant to compete this season. Good management and young players stepping up helped them do that. Would like to see the Reds consider him should he still be available

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if a manager like Girardi looked at the Reds roster and said "no thanks". He'll get job offers from contenders and this team still isn't close to contention. Maybe if he takes a year off and the Reds inch closer to .500 he'll entertain the idea in 2019...
    That's why you make him an offer he can't refuse, and throw in something nice for the Mrs.

I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-26-2017)

I'm a little surprised. I thought he did a good job this year. Maybe management didn't like getting their butts kicked by the Astros.

Is he a good fit for where the Reds are?

And when he feels the world is closing in
    He turns his stereo way up high

I have a feeling Joe's next job will be in St. Louis..

9. Likes:

757690 (10-26-2017),cincyinco (10-26-2017),M2 (10-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Nats or Mets might scoop him up instantly, though he might want to take a year to recharge his batteries. If he does that, the ChiSox, Seattle, Toronto and Atlanta strike me as prime locations for him. Also, Derek Jeter might make a play for him to come back to the Marlins. I'm told they have some history together.
    Mets have hired a manager already. Marlins would make some sense but Jeter's gotta history with their current manager too, ya know. And Donnie very nearly got the job succeeding Torre that went to Girardi instead.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Maybe Cashman had the same problem I do with Girardi - his hat doesn't seem to fit his head.

Wouldn't it be a bad look to say a guy is coming back, then fire him shortly after for a better option?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Wouldn't it be a bad look to say a guy is coming back, then fire him shortly after for a better option?
    The Cubs did it with Maddon
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

14. Likes:

Chip R (10-26-2017),M2 (10-26-2017),Tom Servo (10-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Meh. Not as bad as firing a guy after he's made the playoffs and was within one game of the World Series. If it works, no one's going to care.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Hire Girardi immediately. This is the big moment where the Reds can show their fans they are serious about improving the club.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I hate to say it, but that is a perfect fit, that I never thought of. However, I wouldn't mind the Reds hiring Matheny if that happened.
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    However, I wouldn't mind the Reds hiring Matheny if that happened.
    I would, he's really bad.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-26-2017),alwaysawarrior (10-27-2017),cincyinco (10-26-2017),Donder (10-26-2017),Edd Roush (10-26-2017),kbrake (10-26-2017),Mutaman (10-26-2017),RedlegJake (10-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I fogged on them, but that's a definite possibility.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Turn Off Ads?