Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Girardi out as Yankees manager

Re: Girardi out as Yankees manager

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Mets have hired a manager already. Marlins would make some sense but Jeter's gotta history with their current manager too, ya know. And Donnie very nearly got the job succeeding Torre that went to Girardi instead.
    I missed the Callaway hire. As for Jeets and Mattingly, they only briefly crossed paths. Mattingly was in his last season when Jeter got his cup of coffee. I'm sure they know each other, but Jeter and Girardi won titles together as players and then as player and manager. They've been tight for decades.
    Wait until the year after next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I missed the Callaway hire. As for Jeets and Mattingly, they only briefly crossed paths. Mattingly was in his last season when Jeter got his cup of coffee. I'm sure they know each other, but Jeter and Girardi won titles together as players and then as player and manager. They've been tight for decades.
    No arguing the Jeter/Girardi connection, but Mattingly was a Yankees instructor and coach for years with Jeter.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

4. Likes:

M2 (10-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    No arguing the Jeter/Girardi connection, but Mattingly was a Yankees instructor and coach for years with Jeter.
    His Yankees hitting/bench coach run surely helps, but still pales in comparison. Jeter also might remember 2004-7 as the years the Yankees inexplicably didn't go to the World Series (and then take note that the Dodgers went through a run like that in the 2010s before Dave Roberts arrived).
    Wait until the year after next year.

And the Yankees got "Sparky Anderson egg" all over their face. Horrid move.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

7. Likes:

757690 (10-26-2017),RedsRocker (10-28-2017),Revering4Blue (10-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I hate to say it, but that is a perfect fit, that I never thought of. However, I wouldn't mind the Reds hiring Matheny if that happened.
    Why?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

So, three 90+ win playoff teams fired their managers, has that ever happened before?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Dream on. The Reds will keep Price until there's nothing left to do except rebuild again. Then they'll choose someone in the organization to take over and spew optimism for five or six years while the team continues to lose. Girardi wouldn't even consider a job in Cincinnati and why would he? As others have said, the DNA of our team is not to go boldly to win, but just be respectable every 10 years. That's harsh, but after over 50 years of watching them, and especially the lat 20 years, that's what you have sadly.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

11. Likes:

757690 (10-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Why?
    I think he's an outstanding manager.

I don't pay much attention to in game moves, as those are usually 50/50 propositions, and don't matter much over a 162 game schedule. I look at how well he manages the clubhouse and gets the most out of the talent he has. I think the Cardinals have out produced their talent pretty much every season that Matheny has been their manager. To be honest, the Cardinals have not had great teams under him, but have played like they do. Even these last two years, in which they missed the playoffs, they have been pretty terrible, but have been in contention to the end.

I also like him because Molina and the BFIBB doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    This team is like watching Zero Hour and thinking you are watching Airplane and waiting for the funny.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    So, three 90+ win playoff teams fired their managers, has that ever happened before?
    Interesting question. An answer I can't find online...........yet!!!
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I would bet NO. Just shows the pressure these guys are under today.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think he's an outstanding manager.

I don't pay much attention to in game moves, as those are usually 50/50 propositions, and don't matter much over a 162 game schedule. I look at how well he manages the clubhouse and gets the most out of the talent he has. I think the Cardinals have out produced their talent pretty much every season that Matheny has been their manager. To be honest, the Cardinals have not had great teams under him, but have played like they do. Even these last two years, in which they missed the playoffs, they have been pretty terrible, but have been in contention to the end.

I also like him because Molina and the BFIBB doesn't.
    The Cards have had pretty darn good teams under him. They have always had good starting pitching, I think you are selling the Cardinals pitching staffs short the last few seasons. They have had a lot of solid veterans during his time to go along with Carpenter and Molina.

Give the 2016-2017 Reds a starting rotation of Martinez, Wainwright, Wacha, Leake, Garcia, Lynn and they probably win 82 and 90 games.

The fact that Cardinal fans cannot stand him for the most part wants me to stay way far away, because I am guessing we too would not be able to stand him.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    The Cards have had pretty darn good teams under him. They have always had good starting pitching, I think you are selling the Cardinals pitching staffs short the last few seasons. They have had a lot of solid veterans during his time to go along with Carpenter and Molina.

Give the 2016-2017 Reds a starting rotation of Martinez, Wainwright, Wacha, Leake, Garcia, Lynn and they probably win 82 and 90 games.

The fact that Cardinal fans cannot stand him for the most part wants me to stay way far away, because I am guessing we too would not be able to stand him.
    I think you've been drinking that national media Cardinal Way kool-aid

Wainwright won 25 games the last two seasons with a 4.81 combined ERA. Wacha won 19 with a combined 4.56 ERA. Leake won 16 games with a 4.26 ERA. Lynn was out in 2015. Garcia? Really?

Their bullpen has been in tatters for the past few years.

And look at their offense and defense. They survived this year because they got career years out of DeJong and Pham.

And in 2013, they had that crazy RISP production. They outproduce their talent year after year. I think Matheny is a big part of that.
    This team is like watching Zero Hour and thinking you are watching Airplane and waiting for the funny.

White Sox would be an intriguing fit, but I think Renteria has two more years on his contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes:

cincinnati chili (10-31-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    White Sox would be an intriguing fit, but I think Renteria has two more years on his contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I'm a manager, that's the team I would want to join right now. They are loaded with young talent, and about ready to blossom, so whoever manages them in the next few years will get plenty of praise.

20. Likes:

Donder (10-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Dream on. The Reds will keep Price until there's nothing left to do except rebuild again. Then they'll choose someone in the organization to take over and spew optimism for five or six years while the team continues to lose. Girardi wouldn't even consider a job in Cincinnati and why would he? As others have said, the DNA of our team is not to go boldly to win, but just be respectable every 10 years. That's harsh, but after over 50 years of watching them, and especially the lat 20 years, that's what you have sadly.
    I don't agree with you on Price, I think he has 2018 to meaningfully improve W-L or he is finished. Reds re-hired him because they realized they aren't ready to contend and some rebuilding progress was being made.

But I do agree that Cincy could be a tough sell for Girardi. It's more likely they can persuade some hot shot young coach to take on the manager's job. Somebody really looking to prove himself with such an opportunity.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-26-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Turn Off Ads?