Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Girardi out as Yankees manager

Re: Girardi out as Yankees manager

It's going to be Dusty as the new manager of the Yankees

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yankees really just shot themselves in the foot. Fine. Really insane considering what Joe did with that team this year. Good luck finding someone who can handle the media like he can.

Reds should jump on this but they are too cheap and too incompetent.

Haunted by walks

Mike Maddux to be Cardinals pitching coach.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think you've been drinking that national media Cardinal Way kool-aid

Wainwright won 25 games the last two seasons with a 4.81 combined ERA. Wacha won 19 with a combined 4.56 ERA. Leake won 16 games with a 4.26 ERA. Lynn was out in 2015. Garcia? Really?

Their bullpen has been in tatters for the past few years.

And look at their offense and defense. They survived this year because they got career years out of DeJong and Pham.

And in 2013, they had that crazy RISP production. They outproduce their talent year after year. I think Matheny is a big part of that.
    Yes, really. All of those examples you listed are starting pitchers throwing plenty of useful innings. Take the Reds team of 2017 with 5 starters throwing useful innings and we have a pretty good team, don't we? Every season Matheny has had 5 or more quality big league starting pitchers, even in the face of injuries.

Does Matheny get credit for DeJong finally staying healthy and having a monster BABIP fueled year, or Pham's BABIP fueled season? They wouldn't have needed those breakouts had Piscotty, Aledmys Diaz, and Randal Grichuk taking noticeable to large steps back.

Even these last two years, most every publication was projecting the Cardinals to win 82-85 games. And that is essentially what they did. And that is not a knock against Matheny, I tend to think managers have little impact above the true talent of their teams, I just don't see it as justification that he is somehow getting more out of his team than expected.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Yankees really just shot themselves in the foot. Fine. Really insane considering what Joe did with that team this year. Good luck finding someone who can handle the media like he can.

Dusty can handle the media.

Not only the inevitability of letting Girardi just go by untouched but it's depressing to see some talented coaches get scooped up by other teams when the Reds could certainly stand an upgrade. Carl Willis is the new Indians pitching coach and Mike Maddux is the new Cardinals pitching coach. Chris Bosio and Derek Lilliquist are still out there but we couldn't possibly move Mack Jenkins back to his old job in the bullpen even though he only got the pitching coach job because Price's previous two picks didn't workout at all.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

9. Likes:

Mutaman (10-26-2017),nmculbreth (10-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Dusty can handle the media.
    Dusty has as much chance as being hired by the Yankees as I do.

Dusty has as much chance as being hired by the Yankees as I do.
    Congrats

Michael Kay :
    Joe out because:

1. Organization felt he was too driven and didn't show his millionaire players enough love.
    2. Numbers guys in the organization were upset that Joe didn't use their numbers enough.

I just wasn't made for these times.

Michael Kay :
    Joe out because:

1. Organization felt he was too driven and didn't show his millionaire players enough love.
    2. Numbers guys in the organization were upset that Joe didn't use their numbers enough.

I just wasn't made for these times.
    #2 sounds like NY gossip designed to rile up the “old time” baseball fans. I rarely ever heard complaints about how Girardi was using guys other than your usual second guessing. I mean, the biggest heat he took was over not challenging that one play and that’s not numbers related.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-27-2017)

"He failed to cultivate strategies to ease up over the long season, whether it was dealing with analytical suggestions from above or a player with concerns about where he fit in the Yankees biosphere. "

http://nypost.com/2017/10/26/what-ma...t-him-his-job/

"He failed to cultivate strategies to ease up over the long season, whether it was dealing with analytical suggestions from above or a player with concerns about where he fit in the Yankees biosphere. "

http://nypost.com/2017/10/26/what-ma...t-him-his-job/
    Name:  MV5BYzY0ZjI0NTUtNDE4Yi00OGU2LWExZDMtNTY1MTM3ZWE3MzEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR88.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  149.4 KB
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

17. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (10-26-2017)

Translation: We just wanted to fire him, here's some bull we just pulled out of the sky to justify it.
    Go Gators!

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Translation: We just wanted to fire him, here's some bull we just pulled out of the sky to justify it.
    Except Yankees have given no reason to justify it. Being very tight lipped about the whole thing.

Except Yankees have given no reason to justify it. Being very tight lipped about the whole thing.
    I think it's the thing about Girardi's temper with the front office guys combined with just general fatigue after 10 seasons together with "only" one World Series title. But neither of those are particularly good reasons and Dombrowski kind of got raked over the coals for some of his answers about Farrell's firing so the Yanks prefer to be coy.

Turn Off Ads?