Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring the Big Doggie Home

Bring the Big Doggie Home

Derek Jeter, who the Reds wisely passed up drafting years ago because they knew he would disrespect MLB and Reds HOF'er Tony Perez has reportedly told Perez he's welcome to remain with the Marlins but at a reduced role and reduced salary.

Hopefully, Reds ownership will seize on the opportunity and bring home this Reds legend who has twice been treated cruelly by the organization (traded to Montreal after 1976 and fired by Marge and Leatherpants in 1994).

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-...new-ownership/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bring the Big Doggie Home

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Hopefully, Reds ownership will seize on the opportunity and bring home this Reds legend who has twice been treated cruelly by the organization (traded to Montreal after 1976 and fired by Marge and Leatherpants in 1994).

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-...new-ownership/
    Marge never would have fired Perez. She was suspended when he was let go.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

4. Likes:

REDREAD (11-03-2017)

So is every time a team trades a player an act of cruelty?

6. Likes:

George Anderson (10-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    No, but to the fans of the BRM it turned out to be a cruel move.

Hopefully, Reds ownership will seize on the opportunity and bring home this Reds legend who has twice been treated shabbily by the organization.
    Fixed it for ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Some of you just aren't cut out to follow baseball. You can't live and die second-guessing every decision for 162 games

My theory has always been hiring Tony was a sop to the BRM fans and also something that showed the Reds weren't racist since Marge was still running the show but was under investigation. But, since Davey Johnson was already a consultant, JimBo was just waiting for an opportunity to hire him. Since Marge was suspended after Tony was hired, there wasn't anything she could do about Tony being fired. In the end it worked out but I don't think Tony got a fair shot. He did get a better run in MIA but with a bad team.

As for hiring him, I'd be all for it but I doubt he'd want to be here day to day. As sad as it is to say, the guys on the BRM aren't spring chickens any more. Joe had some health trouble recently but looks to be recovered. I'm sure some kind of job description could be made for his particular set of skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

10. Likes:

REDREAD (11-03-2017)

It wasn't the trade, it was being sent to Montreal that was cruel.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    It wasn't the trade, it was being sent to Montreal that was cruel.
    Alright then the question becomes does the team owe it to a player where they trade them?

Alright then the question becomes does the team owe it to a player where they trade them?
    Actually, this has been decided by the creation of the 10/5 rule. Tony would have had 10/5 rights by the time he was traded and could have vetoed it.

I realize trading him wasn't really cruel and that he is now 75 years old. I'd just like to see him in an official capacity with the Reds as he deserves to leave baseball on his own accord.

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-26-2017)

Let's not forget that the man has a statue outside the ballpark, his number is retired and he is not only a Reds HOFer but he's in Cooperstown as well. I think the Reds have done pretty good by him over the years.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

16. Likes:

mbgrayson (10-27-2017),RedsBaron (10-29-2017),Ron Madden (10-27-2017)

The 1970's were the most glorious years in the history of the Cincinnati Reds.
    The Big Red Machine will forever hold a special place in the hearts of Reds Fans.
    But it's time to move on

18. Likes:

Always Red (10-27-2017),George Anderson (10-29-2017),oneupper (10-29-2017),Revering4Blue (10-29-2017),Tony Cloninger (10-29-2017)

You guys may not want to hear this....but I was always under the impression that Jim Bowden took the fall for Marge wanting to fire Tony Perez as Reds skipper. She wanted Davey Johnson. Leather Pants was new and took the heat for it.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

I'm not sure where the Reds will play him, pretty sure Votto isn't going to be on the bench with that contract.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    You guys may not want to hear this....but I was always under the impression that Jim Bowden took the fall for Marge wanting to fire Tony Perez as Reds skipper. She wanted Davey Johnson. Leather Pants was new and took the heat for it.
    But didn’t Marge want Davey Johnson fired because he was living with his girlfriend? I suppose her opinion could have changed.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

What's interesting to me here is the salary. I'd always wondered what these special advisor types make. $100,000 a year for some advice? That sounds like an awful lot of money when you probably aren't paying any of your actual scouts that kind of money (not counting guys like Buckley/Arias who head up departments in the scouting area). With all due respect to those guys, I just can't figure out how they are worth more than the guys out there who are actually watching all of the guys play, providing reports - stuff like that. If you've got 4 guys on your payroll in those advisory roles, that adds up quickly. It sounds like guys like Dawson and Perez aren't like Larkin/Davis types who are out there traveling around also acting as coaches in the system, too. But merely guys that are hanging out in spring training and at the big league stadium and are asked for some advice on potential moves/ideas every so often.

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-31-2017)

Turn Off Ads?