Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Baseball America Reds Top 10

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Upcoming Baseball America Reds Top 10

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Why is that necessary? We saw the results from what 4.5 innings this year? That should be more than enough time to tell that the Reds and Dick Williams are morons and blew another pick. Besides those that are not "high on him" have the benefit of never scouting him and never actually seeing him pitch.
    This post would be perfect..... except that half-inning part. Did he record half of one out?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This post would be perfect..... except that half-inning part. Did he record half of one out?
    So the rest of the post was "serious" and that part has to be also?

Since "Mr. Jesse Winker isn't still eligible for my Top 25 list" wants to call out my errors... 4.1
    Last edited by paulrichjr; 11-01-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Technically, no pitcher ever throws more than 1/2 inning at a time.
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

“Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin.” -- Joyce Carol Oates

5. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (11-01-2017)

I’m confused.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Yeah but they take it game by game, give it their all, and the good lord willing will be able to help the team.

8. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (11-01-2017)

For those of you who aren't as high on Hunter Greene....

I wish you could hear and see the way people who have watched him play speak and look while speaking about him and the things they saw.
    I'm sure they're excited. He did get picked #2 overall and rated #1 overall in the recent draft. I think we all know he's got an exciting set of tools. Yet that's hype, or at least partially hype. We could have heard similar things from other organizations about Tyler Kolek and Riley Pint in recent years, and - as it turns out - they suck. So I hope the hype is correct and Greene turns out to be the real deal, but sometimes kids with that kind of hype go nowhere. And Greene's pitched less than most other mega-prep arms. I think that's probably a good thing for the long haul, but we'll have to see how the Reds adjust for that and whether that creates a different set of challenges for Greene.

There's a lot of unknown with him. We can dream on his ceiling, but how do you balance that against a guy like Winker, whose warts are more visible, but his projection is more tangible? I get making an early bet on Greene. You very well might be right. By the same token, I also get exercising some caution because no one knows what's going to happen when he gets a serious workload. Lots of stuff to weigh on either side of the equation.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm sure they're excited. He did get picked #2 overall and rated #1 overall in the recent draft. I think we all know he's got an exciting set of tools. Yet that's hype, or at least partially hype. We could have heard similar things from other organizations about Tyler Kolek and Riley Pint in recent years, and - as it turns out - they suck. So I hope the hype is correct and Greene turns out to be the real deal, but sometimes kids with that kind of hype go nowhere. And Greene's pitched less than most other mega-prep arms. I think that's probably a good thing for the long haul, but we'll have to see how the Reds adjust for that and whether that creates a different set of challenges for Greene.

There's a lot of unknown with him. We can dream on his ceiling, but how do you balance that against a guy like Winker, whose warts are more visible, but his projection is more tangible? I get making an early bet on Greene. You very well might be right. By the same token, I also get exercising some caution because no one knows what's going to happen when he gets a serious workload. Lots of stuff to weigh on either side of the equation.
    I've never heard and seen people react the way to Hunter Greene that they do to other players that come through the system. When Jay Bruce was hitting .350 and slugging .600 in Double-A as a 20-year-old, when he was hitting .300 and slugging .570 in Triple-A a month later, people weren't reacting the same way as they are with Hunter Greene. Bruce was arguably the best prospect in the world at the time. The reactions just weren't comparable. Hype doesn't exist just because. There's a reason for it. He's showing things that people just don't show.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-02-2017),OGB (11-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    So the rest of the post was "serious" and that part has to be also?

Since "Mr. Jesse Winker isn't still eligible for my Top 25 list" wants to call out my errors... 4.1
    No part was taken seriously, but the half inning part just got me lol

I've never heard and seen people react the way to Hunter Greene that they do to other players that come through the system. When Jay Bruce was hitting .350 and slugging .600 in Double-A as a 20-year-old, when he was hitting .300 and slugging .570 in Triple-A a month later, people weren't reacting the same way as they are with Hunter Greene. Bruce was arguably the best prospect in the world at the time. The reactions just weren't comparable. Hype doesn't exist just because. There's a reason for it. He's showing things that people just don't show.
    I'm glad they're excited. Yet what am I supposed to with your interpretation of other people's reactions? Like, I'm glad to hear it, but other supremely hard throwers in other organizations who also had a ton of hype have gone nowhere. What you're presenting here is kind of gooey.

And maybe gooey is good. I'm wary of it because it involves an appeal to an authority with a less-than-stellar track record. I would put more stock in this if it were the Dodgers organization raving about the kid.

There's a reason for it. He's showing things that people just don't show.
    What things specifically? We know the velocity at a young age. But beyond that, what things?

15. Likes:

M2 (11-01-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Maybe we should start a new thing! Instead of 4 and a third, we should be saying 4 and a sixth for 1 out in the 5th. 4 1/3 for 2 outs in the 5th. And 4 1/2 for 3 outs in the 5th. Never mind.

17. Likes:

marcshoe (11-01-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    What things specifically? We know the velocity at a young age. But beyond that, what things?
    And I know Doug will have some specifics here, but it reminds me of the Papa John's slogan - "Nobody else does what we do." You mean like make pizza and deliver it?

19. Likes:

Kinsm (11-01-2017)

Here are some of the things about Greene that have people excited:

-- outstanding athlete (would have been highly drafted at SS)

-- excellent delivery (athletic, repeats well)

-- easy, plus-plus velo

-- wicked cutting action on FB (this report emerged at end of instructs)

-- big hands (good starting point for being able to develop a change up)

-- youth (17 when drafted)

-- character & intelligence (very high marks)

There may be more.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-02-2017),M2 (11-01-2017),OGB (11-02-2017),OnBaseMachine (11-01-2017),REDREAD (11-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Here are some of the things about Greene that have people excited:

-- outstanding athlete (would have been highly drafted at SS)

-- excellent delivery (athletic, repeats well)

-- easy, plus-plus velo

-- wicked cutting action on FB (this report emerged at end of instructs)

-- big hands (good starting point for being able to develop a change up)

-- youth (17 when drafted)

-- character & intelligence (very high marks)

There may be more.
    I'd add not abused in the prep ranks.

No question, he's got a great foundation.

23. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-02-2017),lollipopcurve (11-02-2017),OGB (11-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm glad they're excited. Yet what am I supposed to with your interpretation of other people's reactions? Like, I'm glad to hear it, but other supremely hard throwers in other organizations who also had a ton of hype have gone nowhere. What you're presenting here is kind of gooey.

And maybe gooey is good. I'm wary of it because it involves an appeal to an authority with a less-than-stellar track record. I would put more stock in this if it were the Dodgers organization raving about the kid.
    Why are you assuming that the only people I've spoken with are in the Reds organization? They aren't. In fact, I've talked with more people about him that don't work for the Reds. And it's pretty much people being giddy.

You can do what you want with that information. But when people act like this over players, who are paid to evaluate players, it's a different kind of animal.

25. Likes:

BillDoran (11-01-2017),Edd Roush (11-02-2017),M2 (11-01-2017),OGB (11-02-2017)

Turn Off Ads?