Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Vincej lost

Re: Zach Vincej lost

I would rather have Vinny than Timmy.

2. Likes:

cincyinco (11-06-2017),mth123 (11-03-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Or Jose for that matter. If your going to go with a no hit player at SS, why not opt for the strong glove?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

So, Today's moves leave the Reds with 7 open spots on the 40 man roster. Lopez, Reyes, Weiss, Blandino, Long, Siri and an open spot for a signing or a Rule 5 pick makes most sense to me at this point. I'd still cut Adleman and Turner if it was my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I’d boot em both, this strikes me as a huge non-issue.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Today's moves go hand in hand with this earlier thread.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...-40-Man-Roster

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Over 5 ERA. Not sure that counts as someone you can count on
    When you're competition posts a 6+, yes.

8. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (11-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Today's moves go hand in hand with this earlier thread.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...-40-Man-Roster

- - - Updated - - -

When you're competition posts a 6+, yes.
    So you can count on Aldeman when he’s facing the Reds pitching staff?
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

Id rather have Deck than Tim.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

11. Likes:

757690 (11-04-2017),cincyinco (11-06-2017),mth123 (11-04-2017),RED VAN HOT (11-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Superfluous J has the opportunity of becoming Silently J, which has some value
    Adleman has the opportunity to become Adleman, which has negative value.
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm fine with booting them both. I just don't get the idea of holding on to Adelman at this point. If they intend to improve the pitching staff, one easy goal would be to give no innings to ageing journeyman who've never really been any good. That's best accomplished by removing those guys from the roster. Keeping him around this long is an indication that they think it's OK if he ends up throwing more innings for the Reds in 2018. IF Tim Adleman pitches to one batter in 2018, this entire off-season will have been a failure. There should be no intention to let him anywhere near a major league mound in a Reds' uniform. Keeping him around is an indication that he'd be an acceptable alternative. If so, that's not the kind of thinking that's needed at this point.

Don't get me wrong, if the kids crash and burn or injuries mount, it's likely that somebody like Adleman will be needed, but they shouldn't be holding a spot by design for a guy like that. They can find awful pitchers who regularly give up runs any time they want. Why keep one on the roster by design? They should be cleaning house of guys like him. I don't understand it at all. They did the right thing cutting Bonilla, Wojo, McGuire etc. To me, Adleman belongs in that group.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-04-2017 at 01:44 AM.

14. Likes:

757690 (11-04-2017),Revering4Blue (11-05-2017)

There's no reason to cut players lose until you've found better ones. In the case of the 2 today - they have minor leaguers to protect. If they trade, claim, or buy someone better than Adleman then you can cut him. Right now he costs them nothing as mediocre insurance.

16. Likes:

RedsRocker (11-05-2017)

There's no reason to cut players lose until you've found better ones. In the case of the 2 today - they have minor leaguers to protect. If they trade, claim, or buy someone better than Adleman then you can cut him. Right now he costs them nothing as mediocre insurance.
    Mediocre is way over rating him. He's only insurance if they are ok with actually using him should the need arise. If they are OK with that, the off-season is already a failure. This off-season should be about getting better guys than him or at least with more upside than him. At this point, I don't even see room for him in the AAA rotation. Maybe AA. The Reds have already removed several guys who are better than him.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Not that Tim Adleman has been great, but the 1st time through a lineup, he hasn't been bad. In 2017 guys hit .234/.313/.437 with 16 walks and 46 strikeouts against him in 179 plate appearances. He gets significantly worse the 2nd, and then 3rd time through the lineup. Could be a useful reliever. Probably not too useful as a starter except that his arm seems like it's capable of remaining attached.

19. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (11-05-2017)

Here's another take on the Adleman keep. Reds are committed to the young pitchers as part of the rebuild. They had planned on signing a vet strictly as insurance. They looked at the cost and available pitchers and decided that they would be better off keeping Adleman in that role and spending the money elsewhere, perhaps on the pen. Or, if you look at the Vincej DFA, perhaps upping their offer to Cozart. They made the move now, because they are still in the current team exclusive negotiating period.

21. Likes:

OGB (11-08-2017)

This. Adleman can eat innings in an emergency. He’s expendable but there’s no rush to cut him.

The Reds now have 33 men on the forty man roster. There is plenty of room to add. If another spot is needed they can always let Adleman go.

Can ask why expose McGuire to waivers over Adleman, both innings eaters. Maybe Tim’s MLB experience, maybe Reds thought Deck more likely to pass through. It worked, both retained.

Reds obviously concluded Vincej will not hit MLB pitching and that Wallach is a backup at best. These are all reasonable moves to pare down the roster.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-04-2017 at 12:59 PM.

23. Likes:

Kinsm (11-04-2017)

All good points on Adleman, but does anyone think he would have been picked by anyone on waivers? That’s what’s puzzling to me.

Turn Off Ads?