Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 119

Thread: Zach Vincej lost

  1. #61
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4,071

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The point is there was a need to drop players. The only way your argument makes sense is if Adleman wasn’t on the short list of players to get dropped. Go back to a thread about the roster a few weeks ago, and you’ll see near universal agreement that Adleman should be on that short list. Even some guy you might know agreed
    There are still months to go before the season begins, and the Reds likely aren't done adding players.

    I'd suggest you wait a couple of months before breaking your arm patting yourself on the back.

  2. Likes:

    Tom Servo (11-05-2017)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    24,382

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The point is there was a need to drop players. The only way your argument makes sense is if Adleman wasn’t on the short list of players to get dropped. Go back to a thread about the roster a few weeks ago, and you’ll see near universal agreement that Adleman should be on that short list. Even some guy you might know agreed
    Despite my surprise that Adleman was kept on roster, i looked at how the Reds created seven open roster spots. And I concluded it was reasonable, understandable, and fine.

    Why every minor move they make must engender this kind of griping is difficult to understand.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-05-2017 at 02:26 PM.

  5. #63
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Despite my surprise that Adleman was kept on roster, i looked at how the Reds created seven open roster spots. And I concluded it was reasonable, understandable, and fine.

    Why every minor move they make must engender this kind of griping is difficult to understand.
    Because we're all crazy. And some of us HAVE to be right.

  6. #64
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4,071

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because we're all crazy. And some of us HAVE to be right.
    No, we're not.

    You're wrong.


  7. #65
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    21,314

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Despite my surprise that Adleman was kept on roster, i looked at how the Reds created seven open roster spots. And I concluded it was reasonable, understandable, and fine.

    Why every minor move they make must engender this kind of griping is difficult to understand.
    Stuff like this happen all the time on this board, and I have no problem pointing it out every time.

    Posters praise a Reds player in near unanimous fashion. Then that player is let go or traded, and everyone searches through his stats, finds obscure, superfluous data and performs logical gymnastics to justify it. Or they criticize and condemn a player, and when he stays with the team, they do the same to justify that.

    It’s gotten beyond predictable.

    Nearly everyone had Adleman as the next, most obvious cut. When many others were cut and he stayed, everyone is enlightened by new information and changed their minds. Forgive me for wanting to push back on that.
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

  8. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,129

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The bold is incorrect.

    The Reds had a need to drop two players from the roster. They chose Wallace and Vincej over Adleman. One can argue they made the right choice, but there was a need to drop two players, and Adleman certainly was on the short list of who to drop. There was a need to drop him, and they chose not to. They chose to drop two prospects instead.
    Why is Wallach or Vincej anymore of a prospect than Adleman?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  9. #67
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    21,314

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Why is Wallach or Vincej anymore of a prospect than Adleman?
    Because we don’t know what they can do at the MLB level, and they are many years younger.
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

  10. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    24,382

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Because we don’t know what they can do at the MLB level, and they are many years younger.
    Any middle school player would fit that description. Takes more than youth and inexperience to be a prospect.

  11. Likes:

    Griffey012 (11-05-2017),Kinsm (11-06-2017)

  12. #69
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    29,481

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Because we don’t know what they can do at the MLB level
    Yes we do, it's nothing.

    This hand-wringing is silly. I honestly thought the Kivlehan element would more attention than anything. Not the fact that the SS who will never be anything more than Paul Janish shouldn't have been dumped before Tim Adleman, who is extremely likely to be dumped at some point this offseason.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

  13. Likes:

    Edd Roush (11-05-2017),Griffey012 (11-05-2017),Kinsm (11-06-2017)

  14. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,129

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Stuff like this happen all the time on this board, and I have no problem pointing it out every time.

    Posters praise a Reds player in near unanimous fashion. Then that player is let go or traded, and everyone searches through his stats, finds obscure, superfluous data and performs logical gymnastics to justify it. Or they criticize and condemn a player, and when he stays with the team, they do the same to justify that.

    It’s gotten beyond predictable.

    Nearly everyone had Adleman as the next, most obvious cut. When many others were cut and he stayed, everyone is enlightened by new information and changed their minds. Forgive me for wanting to push back on that.
    I don't think this is any sort of praise for Adleman really. It's more of "why did they cut Vincej and Wallach over Adleman" answer. A few people found some reasons why it would make sense to keep Adleman over the other two. The truth is none of the group appears to have much of a chance of some sort of fungible future value. But looking for an answer to the question isn't a sudden change of viewpoint on the player. I also really don't understand where the bolded point is coming from.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Because we don’t know what they can do at the MLB level, and they are many years younger.
    I am most definitely not a "prospect" and I fit all that criteria.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 11-05-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  15. #71
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    21,314

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Any middle school player would fit that description. Takes more than youth and inexperience to be a prospect.
    Okay, because they had success in then minor leagues, we don’t know what they can do in the majors and are many years younger than Adleman.
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

  16. #72
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    21,314

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yes we do, it's nothing.

    This hand-wringing is silly. I honestly thought the Kivlehan element would more attention than anything. Not the fact that the SS who will never be anything more than Paul Janish shouldn't have been dumped before Tim Adleman, who is extremely likely to be dumped at some point this offseason.
    Honestly, we don't know. Until they play, we don't. MLB history is full of players who surprised us. The same could have been said about Justin Turner a few years ago.
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

  17. #73
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    29,481

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Honestly, we don't know. Until they play, we don't. MLB history is full of players who surprised us. The same could have been said about Justin Turner a few years ago.
    I am extremely comfortable saying Zach Vincej and Chad Wallach won't become the next Justin Turner.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

  18. Likes:

    Kinsm (11-06-2017)

  19. #74
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    21,314

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I don't think this is any sort of praise for Adleman really. It's more of "why did they cut Vincej and Wallach over Adleman" answer. A few people found some reasons why it would make sense to keep Adleman over the other two. The truth is none of the group appears to have much of a chance of some sort of fungible future value. But looking for an answer to the question isn't a sudden change of viewpoint on the player. I also really don't understand where the bolded point is coming from.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I am most definitely not a "prospect" and I fit all that criteria.
    1. Decisions had to be made, and those decisions have consequences. More importantly, it speaks to the Reds ability to evaluate talent and understand their needs going forward. This decision speaks poorly of that, imo.

    2. If the Reds had you in that 40 man roster spot instead of Adleman, I don't think it would make any difference.
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

  20. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,129

    Re: Zach Vincej lost

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Okay, because they had success in then minor leagues, we don’t know what they can do in the majors and are many years younger than Adleman.
    Vincej has not had success in the minors, he barely knows what a .700 OPS is, he doesn't carry loud tools that say he may change in the future and be better. Wallach had some success in the lower levels, but he is 26 and struggled at the plate in AAA, and his biggest talent was walking against minor league pitching while not doing much else with the bat. They don't carry some loud tools like an Aquino or Jose Siri who are most definitely prospects because if it all comes together there are multiple big time big league skills there.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    1. Decisions had to be made, and those decisions have consequences. More importantly, it speaks to the Reds ability to evaluate talent and understand their needs going forward. This decision speaks poorly of that, imo.

    2. If the Reds had you in that 40 man roster spot instead of Adleman, I don't think it would make any difference.
    What is the consequence of currently cutting Vincej or Wallach instead of Adleman? Having a different bad player instead of a different bad player?
    Last edited by Griffey012; 11-05-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator