Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 Slobberknockers

2017-2018 Slobberknockers

At this point, it's fairly obvious that the Reds rebuild is in need of rebuilding or at least shifting into a different phase. The Rotation is filled with question marks where the best bets moving forward have had less than a year of big league success or are yet to make a successful comeback from seasons missed due to injury, while the remaining depth either has a need for more minor league seasoning or has been a failure at previous attempts to make the jump to the big leagues. . The Outfield, while seemingly adequate, is filled with flawed, low ceiling players and probably needs an upgrade to move the team to another level. There is a gaping hole at SS and it's unclear what production should be expected from a fairly crowded 2B position. The line-up has a potential for a lengthy group of consecutive, low production outmakers (C, SS, P, CF). The team's best prospect is currently blocked by one of the team's best players and best overall values and the bullpen has the team's most marketable veteran player with a host of mediocrity or poor perfromers surrounding him.

In spite of all of this, there is a core to build around and with a few good moves and a bit of normal development, the team could move away from the growing pack of tanking bottom feeding teams into the "could contend if things go right" middle class with hope that a little more development could make them clear contenders in a year or two.

So this thread is for the board to make it's proposals. I know a lot of people hate threads like this, so if we can keep 'em in this one maybe those that don't like to play can easily avoid participating. Personally, I like these threads. It's not because I expect that there is much chance that anyone's proposal will actually happen, but they spur discussion about team needs, team resources, how players and prospects around the team and the league might be valued and whether it's realistic to expect the Reds to acquire certain players given the talent and payroll constraints that the team has.

Along those lines, this thread is for naming names. Who would you target? How would you get him? What would the team look like afterwards and how would you backfill for some one moved in a deal? Why would any trade partner make the deal from their perspective? Will the payroll tolerate the new acquisitions? Try to keep it plausible, but I'm sure if you don't, the board will let you know about it.

Go ahead and propose trades, free agent signings, waiver pick-ups, Rule 5 draftees, promotions from the minors, position changes, whatever you think needs to be done to move things forward. I personally don't see how the Reds can right this mess in less than four or five moves that work together towards an overall result, so propose the entire plan if you want to. Have at it.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-04-2017 at 06:50 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

2. Likes:

Joseph (12-08-2017),REDREAD (11-06-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2017-2018 Slobberknockers

NYY
    Suarez
    B Hamilton (4th OF/postseason weapon)

Reds
    Gleybar Torres

Houston
    Iglesias
    W. Peralta

Reds
    Kyle tucker
    D. Paulino

Boston
    Duvall

Reds get
    Reliever with upside

Sign some bullpen chaff and a halfway decent closer to look to flip at all star break

Lineup
    Winker LF
    Tucker CF
    Votto 1B
    Senzel 3B
    Gennett 2B
    Schebler RF
    Torres SS
    Barnhart C
    Pitcher

Bench
    Peraza
    Blandino
    Ervin
    Whoever

Starters
    Castillo
    Bailey
    Disco
    Finnegan
    Mahle

BP
    Stephenson
    Reed
    Garrett
    Paulino
    Boston pickup
    Signings

This year will be another growing year withour young stud lineup gelling and sifting through our young starters and bullpen pieces. Earmark next year to spend big on a pitcher and some bullpen help. Be ready to become the next Houston or cubs. With this, you will be competitive soon and then will have the next wave of mega talents coming up to supplement (Greene trammel). Earmark the next to high draft picks for fast rising college pitchers a la Casey mize.
    Yeah I know it's mackenzie

5. Likes:

757690 (11-04-2017),Donder (11-04-2017)

Add a FA lefty in the pen and this team is ready to rock and roll. I honestly don't think much needs to be done at this point. Maybe we'll see a late SP signing in the Spring depending on the health of the rotation.

I'd like the Reds to do the following moves:

BOS gets:
    - Adam Duvall
    - Tony Santillan

CIN gets:
    - Eduardo Rodriguez
    - Brock Holt

TEX gets:
    - Billy Hamilton

CIN gets:
    - Jurickson Profar

CIN signs as FA: John Jay to 2yr/12-18 million

LF: Winker
    CF: Jay/Ervin
    RF: Schebler
    1B: Votto
    2B: Scooter (eventually Senzel)
    SS: Profar/Peraza
    3B: Suarez
    C: Barnhart

SP: Castillo
    SP: Rodriguez
    SP: Bailey
    SP4/5: Disco/Finnegan/Mahle/Stephenson/Romano

BP: Iglesias
    BP: Peralta
    BP: Lorenzen
    BP: Reed
    BP: Stephens
    BP: Herget/Weiss/Shackleford/Garrett/Romano etc.

Bench: Peraza/Ervin/Blandino/Mesoraco/Herrera/Holt

Quote Originally Posted by Spuds Mckenzie View Post
    NYY
    Suarez
    B Hamilton (4th OF/postseason weapon)

Reds
    Gleybar Torres
    I had made this suggestion in another thread but I added Ellsbury and Headley coming back with the Reds assuming half their remaining contracts. It makes it much appealing to NY while giving the Reds a placeholder for Senzel and provides a small upgrade for the Reds in CF (assuming no other CF acquisition is made). The Reds would owe something like $30 million over the next two seasons which might be a dealbreaker, but since they cant use it on international signings it would be a good investment if it landed Torres.

I also had thought about Iglesias to HOU or WAS. 4 of Houstons top 7 are starting pitchers (Perez, Martes, Whitley, and Bukaukas) so theyd probably need to start with one of those. From Washington Robles is probably out of the question, but maybe Fedde or Romero?

9. Likes:

757690 (11-04-2017)

Call me crazy, I would rather have Suarez than Torres.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (11-04-2017),Old school 1983 (11-04-2017),Spike (11-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Call me crazy, I would rather have Suarez than Torres.
    I would be with you 100% if it were realistic for Suarez to play SS. But the Reds dont seem open to it. So were heavy on 3B and 2B and hurting at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    I would be with you 100% if it were realistic for Suarez to play SS. But the Reds don’t seem open to it. So we’re heavy on 3B and 2B and hurting at SS.
    Last I checked a SS’s ABs count the same as a 3B and 2B’s at bats.

They can find a serviceable SS.

If they are trading Suarez a good SP better be coming back.

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-04-2017)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

ARI gets:
    OF Adam Duvall
    OF Billy Hamilton

CIN gets:
    OF A.J. Pollack
    SS Ketel Matte

-- or --

(Seconding herbdizzle's suggestion above)
    BOS gets:
    OF Adam Duvall
    RH Tony Santillan

CIN gets:
    LH Eduardo Rodriguez
    UT Brock Holt

-- and --

MIN gets:
    RH Robert Stephenson
    SS Jose Peraza

CIN gets:
    SS Jorge Polanco
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Another suggestion:

MIA gets:
    OF Billy Hamilton
    RH Sal Romano
    LH Amir Garrett
    1B Gavin LaValley

CIN gets:
    OF Christian Yelich
    RH Tyler Kolek

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, I wouldn't deal Iglesias until the July trade deadline when relievers are worth the most.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

17. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (11-04-2017),Rojo (11-06-2017),Spike (11-11-2017)

Last I checked a SSs ABs count the same as a 3B and 2Bs at bats.

They can find a serviceable SS.

If they are trading Suarez a good SP better be coming back.
    Sure, but with the glut of potentially good 2B (Scooter, Dilson, Jose, Shed, Alex) Id rather them upgrade SS from serviceable to all-star potential and let that cash fight for 2B.

Id also be ecstatic if they could move Suarez+ for a Archer type pitcher, though.

That’s not really a glut, though

Dilson is always hurt
    Jose sucks
    Scooter might be a flash in the pan
    Shed is far from a sure thing
    Blandino is a huge meh

Senzel is the 2B.

I’d rather keep Scooter as a utility player, play Suarez at 3B, and Senzel at 2B. Figure out another way to get a SS.

Senzel is the 2B.
    Senzel has 0 professional innings at second.

Hard to call him the second baseman when he's never played second base professionally

If they really want Senzel at 2B it's really baffling that they haven't moved him there yet. Either he'll learn at the MLB level or they're leaving him in the minors a good part of this year. Neither seem ideal. But I can't make heads nor tails of what they're thinking with Senzel and Suarez unless they plan to trade one.

22. Likes:

Hoosier Red (11-06-2017),Raisor (11-04-2017)

I would be shocked if Senzel can’t move to 2B seemlessly.

Turn Off Ads?