Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 Slobberknockers

Re: 2017-2018 Slobberknockers

I would trade for hicks and wade from yankees for hamilton and suarez with yankees
    I would trade greene and a couple of guys in minors for archer and boxberger
    I would trade for ziegler and streckenrider for weiss
    Might add strailey and romano or garrett to make bigger deal
    Would trade a young starter mahle or stevenson
    for hand from the padres
    This could be a rotation of archer castillo stevenson or mahle straily ra dickey or other fa
    Hicks and Wade solve ss and cf
    Pen gets upgraded by hand, streckenrider, boxberger and ziegler. They would go with peralta,lorenzen and iggy

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would trade for hicks and wade from yankees for hamilton and suarez with yankees
    I would trade greene and a couple of guys in minors for archer and boxberger
    I would trade for ziegler and streckenrider for weiss
    Might add strailey and romano or garrett to make bigger deal
    Would trade a young starter mahle or stevenson
    for hand from the padres
    This could be a rotation of archer castillo stevenson or mahle straily ra dickey or other fa
    Hicks and Wade solve ss and cf
    Pen gets upgraded by hand, streckenrider, boxberger and ziegler. They would go with peralta,lorenzen and iggy

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

OAK gets:
    2B Scooter Gennett

CIN gets:
    SS Marcus Semien

Two middle infielders who have put up good, if unspectacular numbers and fill positions of surplus for their respective teams. Oakland has no room for Semien with uber-prospect Berrios arriving, and an opening at 2nd with long in the tooth Lowrie moving to fill more of a utility role. I'd first try to pawn off Peraza on them but I doubt they'd go for that, even with a Stephens/Davis/Reyes type sweetener.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Proposed Reds Offseason Moves

Reds trade Hunter Greene, Jesse Winker, and Cody Reed to Miami for OF Christian Yelich

Miami is trying to pair down their payroll and while they have stated the initial plan is to hang on to Yelich, maybe he can be had for the right prospect price.Cincinnati needs to accrue more of a solid core that is signed through 2022 or so and Yelich has a very fair contract and would be a great addition to the lineup.

Reds trade Devin Mesoraco, Keury Mella to CWS for RHP James Shields

I know this is going to raise eyebrows because Shields has been awful but in the last couple of months of the season he was pretty serviceable. Serviceable enough that fangraphs did a story on it. https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...james-shields/
    It is a swap of bad monies with both teams taking a risk but with a DH slot etc. Mesoraco could get his career back on track if he can remain healthy. Mella being moved would make the deal fair and also clear a 40 man roster spot.

Reds trade Raisel Iglesias and Michael Lorenzen to Ari for SS Ketel Marte, RHP Jimmie Sherfy, RHP Jon Duplantier and OF Gabriel Maciel

Arizona needs bullpen help and their window is now. Arizona gets 2 bullpen pieces under team control while Cincinnati obtains a young SS, young bullpen arm and 2 good farm pieces.

Reds trade Billy Hamilton to SF for RHP Hunter Strickland

Cincinnati continues adding bullpen pieces with the trade of Hamilton to SF. Strickland likely could use a change of scenery.

Reds trade Scooter Gennett to LAD for RHP Mitchell White

The Dodgers will be searching for a replacement for Utley and Scooter would be an ideal player for his spot. The Reds receive a pitching prospect and opens up a spot potentially for Senzel later in the season.

Reds trade Michael Beltre to Oak for RHP Jesse Hahn

Hahn fell out of favor with Oakland last season with his comments after being sent down. He is a high rate ground ball pitcher that could possibly be an asset in Cincy.

Extend Eugenio Suarez 5yrs / 45m

Sign Fernando Rodney for 1yr/5m

SS Marte (2022)
    CF Yelich (2022)
    1b Votto (2023)
    3b Suarez (2022)
    2B Senzel (2024)
    LF Duvall (2021)
    RF Schebler (2022)
    C Barnhardt (2022)

Bench: Peraza, Ervin, Turner or backup catcher signing (Lobaton),

Starters
    RHP Castillo (2023)
    RHP Bailey (2020)
    RHP Romano (2023)
    RHP Stephenson (2023)
    RHP Mahle (2023)
    RHP Shields (2018)
    RHP DeSclafani (2020)
    RHP Hahn (2021)

Bullpen:
    LHP Finnegan (2021)
    LHP Peralta (2022)
    RHP Rodney (2018)
    RHP Sherfy (2023)
    RHP Adelman (2022)
    RHP Shackelford (2023)
    RHP Strickland (2021)
    RHP Hernandez
    RHP Herget
    RHP Brice

These moves would put the Reds around 102M for next season if my math is correct.

6. Likes:

M2 (11-06-2017)

never happen

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    You wouldn't trade Cody Reed for another Duvall (assuming the Reds had somewhere to play this returning Duvall)?
    No. Duvall is pushing 30 and is a low ceiling player who might eek out 2 WAR if he can play 150+ games. I still have hope that Reed could become something. With the shoe being on the other foot, I don't think some other team would trade their version of Cody Reed for Duvall either.

Now I would trade Lorenzen for a Duvall. Ho hum reliever, arb eligible and approaching the point where he may be paid more than he's worth in a year or two. My hope is that the Reds could get a little better than him (though probably more expensive) to help the bullpen while making way for Winker. The problem is that there are a lot of corner guys and 1B/DH types in free agency who have power. Duvall's salary and his relatively solid defense are his real selling points, but some of these guys will be cheap too and I doubt any team will give up all that much for Duvall as opposed to waiting to see who is left without a chair when the music stops in February.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    OAK gets:
    2B Scooter Gennett

CIN gets:
    SS Marcus Semien

Two middle infielders who have put up good, if unspectacular numbers and fill positions of surplus for their respective teams. Oakland has no room for Semien with uber-prospect Berrios arriving, and an opening at 2nd with long in the tooth Lowrie moving to fill more of a utility role. I'd first try to pawn off Peraza on them but I doubt they'd go for that, even with a Stephens/Davis/Reyes type sweetener.
    My guess is Semien just slides over to 2B. The A's have Lowrie for another year. I'm guessing they have no interest in a poor defending MI who can't play SS. Lowrie will probably be on the market this winter as well. The market for what the Reds probably want to deal (Duvall, Schebler, Gennett) is pretty saturated this winter and expectations for anything more than a pure back-end starter (say somebody like Feldman with an 8 figure obligation for 2018) or middle reliever is probably too much without the Reds sending a decent prospect (somebody in the top 10, not Stephens, Ervin, Davis or those types) along with these guys. It might be why dealing Winker and keeping Schebler and Duvall might actually make some sense. Winker should draw something better in return.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Back from the dead..maybe Homer's Ghost's Avatar

I would explore sending Iglesias to the Cubs for Russell or Baez (preferably Javy) and then try to flip Suarez for pitching.

Then deal one of Duvall/Schebler (preferably Duvall) for a reliever or two.

Winker
    Gennett
    Votto
    Senzel
    Schebler
    Baez/Russell
    Barnhart
    Pitcher
    Hamilton
    Last edited by Homer's Ghost; 11-06-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

11. Likes:

Donder (11-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My guess is Semien just slides over to 2B. The A's have Lowrie for another year. I'm guessing they have no interest in a poor defending MI who can't play SS. Lowrie will probably be on the market this winter as well. The market for what the Reds probably want to deal (Duvall, Schebler, Gennett) is pretty saturated this winter and expectations for anything more than a pure back-end starter (say somebody like Feldman with an 8 figure obligation for 2018) or middle reliever is probably too much without the Reds sending a decent prospect (somebody in the top 10, not Stephens, Ervin, Davis or those types) along with these guys. It might be why dealing Winker and keeping Schebler and Duvall might actually make some sense. Winker should draw something better in return.
    I see where you're coming from about Semien, and it could very well play out that way. But Semien hasn't played anywhere but SS and last year when Barreto took over, Semien sat instead of going to second. Makes me think he's not in their long term plans.

Also, I'm in agreement that Winker could end up bringing back more than Duvall or Schebler. I wouldn't be upset if the Reds were exploring that market. Winker+Stephenson/Romano/Mahle for Fulmer sounds intriguing.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 11-06-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    never happen
    It's a slobberknockers thread. The entire point is to dream up stuff far too big and radical to ever happen.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's a slobberknockers thread. The entire point is to dream up stuff far too big and radical to ever happen.
    I disagree. Slobberknockers can be realistic. Huge trades happen.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I disagree. Slobberknockers can be realistic. Huge trades happen.
    Sometimes they happen, though less often than in the 20th century. Yet in reality none of us are going to identify a crazy, monster deal the Reds will actually make. You've got to take slobberknockers with a grain of salt.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Marcus Stroman, Justin Smoak and Troy Tulowitzky for Joey Votto, Devin Mesoraco, Jose Peraza and Robert Stephenson.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Marcus Stroman, Justin Smoak and Troy Tulowitzky for Joey Votto, Devin Mesoraco, Jose Peraza and Robert Stephenson.
    Yuck. Tulo is a shadow of his former self, both offensively and defensively. Smoak coming off a career year. I'd need Urena and Tellez in addition to Stroman just to move Votto alone.

18. Likes:

Griffey012 (11-06-2017),nmculbreth (11-06-2017)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    OAK gets:
    2B Scooter Gennett

CIN gets:
    SS Marcus Semien

I would love this trade. If Billy Beane wants to do this deal, I hope DW pulls the trigger. I bet BB sees that Semien has much more value, though. I think it would take a lot of sweetener to get this deal done.

Turn Off Ads?