Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 Slobberknockers

Re: 2017-2018 Slobberknockers

If we are talking unrealistic slobberknockers

Ian Happ for Mahle, Winker, and Green
    Homer Bailey's good arm for Kyle Schwarbers bad leg then let Joey Votto hit 320/450/600 using that bad leg as a bat
    Yelich for Senzel, Santillan, and Hamilton
    Sign Lance Lynn
    give Peraza whatever they gave Captain America to make him Captain America

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's my slobberknocker.

CIN gets: Manny Machado

BAL gets: Billy Hamilton, Jose Siri, Tyler Stephenson, Vlad Gutierrez, Stuart Fairchild

It's hard to get any sort of grasp on what kind of package might be warranted to nab a year of Machado. Not a lot of guys of his caliber get traded a year before they hit FA. Thinking back to when we got Choo we traded Stubbs and Didi (who was not that highly touted of a prospect at the time), didn't seem like much of a package, granted Choo was coming off two down season from his 5-6 WAR days. BAL gets Hamilton who plays center moving Adam Jones to a corner spot where his poor CF defense should play up. They get 3 guys who would likely slot right into their top 10 prospects. Plus some depth to rebuild a pretty bare farm system. Reds are a little top heavy prospect wise so I am not sure we have the right guys to make it work, but they could include some combination of guys, but I wouldn't include Senzel, Greene, Winker, Trammell, or Mahle. As for the Reds, Machado fills a huge hole at SS, gives the Reds another potent bat in the middle of the lineup. Just think of Machado and Votto hitting behind Winker and Suarez.

Now from the Reds prospective, this generates major fan buzz, gives fans the notion they are trying. We might be able to ride a killer offense into wild card contention. If not, Machado pulls in a nice package at the trade deadline or he gets the QO in the off-season and we aren't out any of our top guys. Plus we have a ton of money coming off the books in 2018-2019. Machado is still a huge longshot, but with a loaded 2018-2019 FA class, it is a tad bit less unlikely to sign him after playing a season with us.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 11-07-2017 at 09:06 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

4. Likes:

M2 (11-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Here's my slobberknocker.

CIN gets: Manny Machado

BAL gets: Billy Hamilton, Jose Siri, Tyler Stephenson, Vlad Gutierrez, Stuart Fairchild

It's hard to get any sort of grasp on what kind of package might be warranted to nab a year of Machado. Not a lot of guys of his caliber get traded a year before they hit FA. Thinking back to when we got Choo we traded Stubbs and Didi (who was not that highly touted of a prospect at the time), didn't seem like much of a package, granted Choo was coming off two down season from his 5-6 WAR days. BAL gets Hamilton who plays center moving Adam Jones to a corner spot where his poor CF defense should play up. They get 3 guys who would likely slot right into their top 10 prospects. Plus some depth to rebuild a pretty bare farm system. Reds are a little top heavy prospect wise so I am not sure we have the right guys to make it work, but they could include some combination of guys, but I wouldn't include Senzel, Greene, Winker, Trammell, or Mahle. As for the Reds, Machado fills a huge hole at SS, gives the Reds another potent bat in the middle of the lineup. Just think of Machado and Votto hitting behind Winker and Suarez.

Now from the Reds prospective, this generates major fan buzz, gives fans the notion they are trying. We might be able to ride a killer offense into wild card contention. If not, Machado pulls in a nice package at the trade deadline or he gets the QO in the off-season and we aren't out and of our top guys. Plus we have a ton of money coming off the books in 2018-2019. Machado is still a huge longshot, but with a loaded 2018-2019 FA class, it is a tad bit less unlikely to sign him after playing a season with us.
    Seems like a Billy and a bunch of nice but non-Top 100ish prospects. I think that could be beaten by another team easily. It would probably take Hunter Greene, as I'd want Senzel around if we are giving it a shot next season. Sorry to burst your bubble and I could be wrong, but if Manny were available (and he may be soon) it will be a feeding frenzy.

6. Likes:

Donder (11-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Seems like a Billy and a bunch of nice but non-Top 100ish prospects. I think that could be beaten by another team easily. It would probably take Hunter Greene, as I'd want Senzel around if we are giving it a shot next season. Sorry to burst your bubble and I could be wrong, but if Manny were available (and he may be soon) it will be a feeding frenzy.
    I think it takes somewhere in between the Hunter Greene's and the guys I mentioned, which is why I made the comment about not really being a good fit because we are a bit top heavy. We likely have 2 guys in the top 25 and maybe some back end top 100 guys, but a lot that probably fall 75-150 range. If Machado were made available, I think he would pull in a package somewhere in between the Choo type package and the Adam Eaton package from last season. Probably anchored by a 50ish prospect and a back end top 100 guy. Eaton getting more value since he was under cheap team control for multiple seasons. I doubt many teams that have the players would consider giving up a top 25 guy for a 1 year rental because they are in a rebuild.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

The question is why would the Reds give up any prospects for a one year rental who plays a position the Reds already have Suarez and Senzel at?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The question is why would the Reds give up any prospects for a one year rental who plays a position the Reds already have Suarez and Senzel at?
    Machado would play SS in 2018 under this hypothetical. Or perhaps Suarez is shipped off for a controlled TOR arm.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 11-07-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Combining some earlier proposals with a new one:

OAK gets:
    2B Scooter Gennett
    RH Wyatt Strahan

CIN gets:
    SS Marcus Semien

--

BOS gets:
    OF Adam Duvall
    RH Sal Romano

CIN gets:
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr

--

SFG gets:
    CF Billy Hamilton

CIN gets:
    LH Matt Moore

Senzel takes over at second with Peraza being the super sub. I'm guessing Boston can get more for JBJ but they are close to their luxury tax threshold, and getting both a RH power hitter and a right hander who can hold the fort until Rodriguez returns from knee surgery and offers real upside solves two issues while also cutting salary.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Jason Martinez on MLBTR chat had this idea:

Shartz Fired
    6:04 How can the Reds acquire Verdugo from the Dodgers? Combine with McCarthy/ Ryu?
    Jason Martinez
    6:04 I can see that being part of a bigger deal involving Raisel Iglesias.
    Hamilton/Iglesias/Gennett for Verdugo/Ryu/McCarthy?
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 11-08-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

I love McCarthy as a SP target for this upcoming season. Would be interesting to work out a deal to get Verdugo included.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Combining some earlier proposals with a new one:

OAK gets:
    2B Scooter Gennett
    RH Wyatt Strahan

CIN gets:
    SS Marcus Semien

--

BOS gets:
    OF Adam Duvall
    RH Sal Romano

CIN gets:
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr

--

SFG gets:
    CF Billy Hamilton

CIN gets:
    LH Matt Moore

Senzel takes over at second with Peraza being the super sub. I'm guessing Boston can get more for JBJ but they are close to their luxury tax threshold, and getting both a RH power hitter and a right hander who can hold the fort until Rodriguez returns from knee surgery and offers real upside solves two issues while also cutting salary.
    I really like these three moves. Sal Romano would hurt to lose, but JBJ would be a major upgrade over Billy. Matt Moore is a very interesting acquisition, too, because you essentially pay as you go with the way his team options work. 7M for a #4 pitcher is a pretty good deal, but I am afraid of how many HRs he would give up pitching half of his games in GABP.

I like this deal a lot if the Reds then subsequently flip Ryu and McCarthy to other teams. I see neither as long-term pieces of the Reds' rotation and it really creates a log-jam of question marks in the Reds' rotation if they do not deal one or two SPs.

I really think that Bailey has to be in the rotation next year since he has such negative trade value that you have to give up an asset to dump him and I believe his value will go up next year because he will both pitch better and will have less money owed as time goes on.

Castillo clearly has locked up his spot and I think DeSclafani has as well. Therefore, if this trade went through and we held McCarthy and Ryu, Finnegan would not have a rotation spot and neither would Stephenson. I know Stephenson is out of options, so he would have to go to the bullpen and I am not sure of Finnegan's status.

I like the idea of Stephenson pitching in the rotation (especially if the Reds do not add a good SS) because the season is lost anyway and he does have big-time upside to be a TOR pitcher if he can learn to control his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I know Stephenson is out of options
    Why are you so sure of this? Was he on the 40-man in 2015?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with everything here except the part about Trump promising to drain the swamp of rich elites. When did he say that? I think he's putting in rich guys with the idea that they can't be bought. I don't think he ever promised not to put in rich white guys.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Why are you so sure of this? Was he on the 40-man in 2015?
    Looks like he was added after the season in 2015 https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...40-man-roster/

I swear someone had a compelling reason earlier this off-season for why Stephenson could not be optioned to the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Looks like he was added after the season in 2015 https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...40-man-roster/

I swear someone had a compelling reason earlier this off-season for why Stephenson could not be optioned to the minors.
    Since players get three option years, this should mean he has one option remaining. I agree with you that even though I like him less than some of the other young Reds pitchers, they need to prioritize his upside. But he's only 25 years old and could probably benefit from more time in Louisville. It will really depend on the health of the veterans come April...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with everything here except the part about Trump promising to drain the swamp of rich elites. When did he say that? I think he's putting in rich guys with the idea that they can't be bought. I don't think he ever promised not to put in rich white guys.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Since players get three option years, this should mean he has one option remaining. I agree with you that even though I like him less than some of the other young Reds pitchers, they need to prioritize his upside. But he's only 25 years old and could probably benefit from more time in Louisville. It will really depend on the health of the veterans come April...
    There are 33 players on the Reds 40 man roster right now, only 4 of them can not be optioned next year.

Bailey, Mesoraco, Votto, and Dilson Herrera.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-09-2017),Z-Fly (11-09-2017)

Turn Off Ads?