Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanton a Ratbird?

Re: Stanton a Ratbird?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    So what do all the teams do when Stanton demands an extra 300M to accept a trade?

Stanton has all the leverage in the world and can demand his own private island if he wants.
    Why would he want to stay on a team that's headed deep into the tank? Makes no sense.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Why would he want to stay on a team that's headed deep into the tank? Makes no sense.
    Look no farther than Joey Votto. He's insisted on staying with the Reds while they rebuild.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

4. Likes:

Donder (11-05-2017),Raisor (11-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Look no farther than Joey Votto. He's insisted on staying with the Reds while they rebuild.
    Yep. Stanton signed knowing his team was more interested in the bottom line than the winning margin.

If he moves onto the Cardinals (or any other team), it's because he wants to be there.

6. Likes:

Raisor (11-05-2017)

Stanton's opt out clause makes things interesting too

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Because he enjoys living in Miami?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

This may have been discussed but there is huge risk taking in his contract. He plays well he opt outs and is gone. If not you are stuck with a huge bill. Risk management guys can crunch the numbers but it shouldn’t take much to acquire him in terms of players. I think Miami would give him and his contract away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Yep. Stanton signed knowing his team was more interested in the bottom line than the winning margin.

If he moves onto the Cardinals (or any other team), it's because he wants to be there.
    He signed because the deal was enormous. Now the hundreds of millions will follow wherever he goes. No-trade just means he gets a say in it. Yet I don't assume anyone is a masochist. If the Marlins openly try to trade him and make it clear he's not part of the plan moving forward, there's other places where he can be happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Because he enjoys living in Miami?
    It's a nice city, but it's not the only city.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    This may have been discussed but there is huge risk taking in his contract. He plays well he opt outs and is gone. If not you are stuck with a huge bill. Risk management guys can crunch the numbers but it shouldn’t take much to acquire him in terms of players. I think Miami would give him and his contract away.
    I keep hearing that it's a risk that he opts out and is gone. But the opt out isn't until after 2020; that's 3 full seasons from age 28-30. If you project him for something like 15 WAR over the next 3 years, you're getting him at ~$5M/WAR over that period (a bargain by FA market rates). If you get 3 years of great production from him and then he lets you off the hook for the $208M owed to him in his 30's, that's a big win unless you gave up a ton talent to get him. And if he does put up that 15 WAR, you're talking about something like $40-50M in surplus production relative to FA -- which is equivalent to a few solid prospects.

Long story short, assuming you're taking the full contract and not giving up a ton in prospects, the only real risk the $208M/7 years after 2020. Him performing well and walking is no big loss.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-05-2017 at 05:12 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

12. Likes:

M2 (11-05-2017),mth123 (11-05-2017),nmculbreth (11-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    True, but what good is leverage if you price yourself out of the market? There are only a handful of teams who can pay through the nose. The question is not if they can, but will they.

I think the team we need to watch is the Cubs. They have the money to pay Stanton and the talent to land him.
    Agreed. Yeah, he might be able to block it, but why? He already makes enough money to warrant his own bank branch. Why price him out of someone like the LAD where he could thrive, compete for championships & have incredible exposure & shots at endorsement deals when the Fish are going no where fast?

If Stanton was a free agent this off season, how much would he get?

odds are he'd make more than the 26m he's going to make the next 3 seasons before he can opt out, and he's going to opt out.

He'd be foolish not to ask for more to accept a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If Stanton was a free agent this off season, how much would he get?

odds are he'd make more than the 26m he's going to make the next 3 seasons before he can opt out, and he's going to opt out.

He'd be foolish not to ask for more to accept a trade.
    If he was a free agent I would absolutely take the under on $295mil / 11 years and on a personal level I think he would be insane to walk away from the backend of the deal because I think he'd find it very difficult to get someone to offer him a $218mil worth of guaranteed money entering his 30s.

As RMR pointed out whoever acquires him would do cartwheels if he opted out because the next three years at $77mil is the most team friendly portion of the contract.

16. Likes:

M2 (11-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    If he was a free agent I would absolutely take the under on $295mil / 11 years and on a personal level I think he would be insane to walk away from the backend of the deal because I think he'd find it very difficult to get someone to offer him a $218mil worth of guaranteed money entering his 30s.

As RMR pointed out whoever acquires him would do cartwheels if he opted out because the next three years at $77mil is the most team friendly portion of the contract.
    That's why I think, for him to accept a trade, he's going to want a revision of some sort (and its 10 years + 10M buy out/25M option 11 year), so 10 years at 29.5 AAV per season. He turns 28 in a couple of days. If he was a free agent this off season, he's a 30-35M AAV guy.

Think it's way too early to say he's going to opt out, a few years ago everyone said that Cueto would opt out.

The TV money bubble will be popping.

Also think it's being underplayed how much it would suck to play for a team that wants you gone.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Hasn't it been rumored Stanton won't approve a trade to anyone in the mid west?

He'll be traded to the yankees for a bucket of day old shrimp.
    That’s what I thought, but according to Gammons he has only explicitly said he wouldn’t accept a trade to a rebuilding franchise.

It appears that the rumors are substantial enough to suggest Stanton would accept a trade to StL.

Quote Originally Posted by la-di-da-di View Post
    That’s what I thought, but according to Gammons he has only explicitly said he wouldn’t accept a trade to a rebuilding franchise.

It appears that the rumors are substantial enough to suggest Stanton would accept a trade to StL.
    So he'd accept a trade to the Reds, then.

Sorry. I'll stop thinking negative thoughts.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

21. Likes:

la-di-da-di (11-05-2017),WrongVerb (11-05-2017)

Turn Off Ads?