Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason 2017-2018 Free Agent Signings

Re: Offseason 2017-2018 Free Agent Signings

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    You left handed?
    If I qualify as left handed it is only because by right shoulder feels like it is in shreds these days.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    If I qualify as left handed it is only because by right shoulder feels like it is in shreds these days.
    Samesies.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Samesies.
    I guess there were only so many time I could slip on ice, go airborne, and land with a mighty thud before it caught up to me. I fear that as I am closing in on 50 and can not throw a ball more than 50 feet without excruciating pain coursing through my shoulder and arm that the odds of my pitching in the majors are slipping away. If only I was lefty.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I guess there were only so many time I could slip on ice, go airborne, and land with a mighty thud before it caught up to me. I fear that as I am closing in on 50 and can not throw a ball more than 50 feet without excruciating pain coursing through my shoulder and arm that the odds of my pitching in the majors are slipping away. If only I was lefty.
    It's been probably six years since I last tried to throw a baseball with real force. I still remember the pop and the pain the last time that I did. I still feel the weakness in my shoulder when I raise it above 90°. Humans are stupid. I wish I were a robot.

6. Likes:

corkedbat (11-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Bruce is only 30, so that helps his chances of getting a multyear deal.
    He is coming off a good year, but honestly, I think his lack of consistency is really going to hurt him.
    The Indians basically gave nothing to acquire him from the Mets.. IMO, that is a pretty good indication of his market value (pretty low).

Like you say.. it seems like Bruce would get 2-3 years at most. If I were a GM, I would rather pay a premium to get him on a one year deal.
    I am not accusing him of not being motivated, but it is possible he just got too comfortable with his cold streaks until his contract year..
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2017),Will M (11-10-2017)

Bruce will renew on carousel.
    Go Gators!

10. Likes:

Big Klu (11-09-2017)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Bruce is only 30, so that helps his chances of getting a multyear deal.
    He is coming off a good year, but honestly, I think his lack of consistency is really going to hurt him.
    The Indians basically gave nothing to acquire him from the Mets.. IMO, that is a pretty good indication of his market value (pretty low).
    Probably true, but that also includes only a handful of teams in need of a RF/DH that was also in a playoff race. Free agency is a whole different animal. Hope springs eternal and everyone is competitive in Nov.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2017),redsmetz (11-09-2017),Ron Madden (11-10-2017)

Sometimes I have a hard time understanding some of my fellow members here on RedsZone.
    Maybe it's just me, missing the forest for the trees..

I realize everyone has a right to their opinion and I truly respect that.
    I also realize we all have our favorite players.

I just have a hard time understanding why some of the same members that are or were willing to pay Brandon Phillips and Zack Cozart more than market value, then become upset with the Reds when they refuse to do that, were always bent outta shape about how much money Jay Bruce made while playing here.

I'm not very good with words and I don't mean to offend anyone. I would just like to hear an explanation as to how you believe Phillips and Cozart in their 30's are worth more than Jay Bruce is now or ever was in your opinion. Yes Jay has his ups and downs but then again most sluggers do.

Again I have no intention to offend anyone or start a long argument. I'm old but I still wanna learn. Thanks for puttin' up with me.

14. Likes:

Z-Fly (11-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Sometimes I have a hard time understanding some of my fellow members here on RedsZone.

I just have a hard time understanding why some of the same members that are or were willing to pay Brandon Phillips and Zack Cozart more than market value, then become upset with the Reds when they refuse to do that, were always bent outta shape about how much money Jay Bruce made while playing here.

I'm not very good with words and I don't mean to offend anyone. I would just like to hear an explanation as to how you believe Phillips and Cozart in their 30's are worth more than Jay Bruce is now or ever was in your opinion. Yes Jay has his ups and downs but then again most sluggers do.

Again I have no intention to offend anyone or start a long argument. I'm old but I still wanna learn. Thanks for puttin' up with me.
    Just my opinion, but Bruce was a very highly thought of prospect for the Reds and some fan expectations were Ruthian. Just like it is now for a guy like Trammell or Senzel. The way that Phillips entered the organization and Cozart's rise to the player that he is curtailed what fans thought they would be so they are thought of differently in my opinion. The frustration with Bruce has a lot to do with those expectations and the reality is he is a good player but really never changed his approach and had stretches where he struggled mightily. People tend to remember those slumps and formulated opinions over time based on those.

16. Likes:

RedlegJake (11-10-2017),Ron Madden (11-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

My view is that based on the trade market for OFs and Bruce in particular over the last two years shows that the pendulum is swung away from that brief period where the offensive market was bare. Bruce is more likely to get a 2 or 3 year at the sort of AAV being discussed. He is not the sort of rare talent in today's market that will lead to a 5 year committment at that AAV. Especially not with the Class of 18 soon upon the market. Not to disparage him but the market for him has not been hopping these past couple of years.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-10-2017)

"I just have a hard time understanding why some of the same members that are or were willing to pay Brandon Phillips and Zack Cozart more than market value, then become upset with the Reds when they refuse to do that, were always bent outta shape about how much money Jay Bruce made while playing here.

I'm not very good with words and I don't mean to offend anyone. I would just like to hear an explanation as to how you believe Phillips and Cozart in their 30's are worth more than Jay Bruce is now or ever was in your opinion. Yes Jay has his ups and downs but then again most sluggers do."

The thing is sluggers like Bruce age "quicker" than athletic guys like Phillips or Cozart. Which means his value falls off quicker mostly because his defensive skills deteriorate quicker and his hit skills was not as good so a slight hit hurts more than a guy like BP who still hits .290 at age 36.
    So Bruce winds up being more replaceable which means worthless. the old supply and demand
    Last edited by InsaneinthBrame; 11-13-2017 at 03:14 AM.

Not sure anyone wanted to pay Phillips &/or Cozart big money. I opined that the Reds would QO Cozart, but was relieved when they didn't. As for BP? I was among more than a couple who were quite upset that they extended him in the first place and were even more upset they let him attain 10/5 status. The Reds had no business extending any of the three beyond 30.

Bruce most likely ends up signing for 3 yrs at around 12 million, as he is one of the few bats this season in free agency. The only thing that will keep that from happening is if the rumor of him wanting to play for Houston or the Rangers is true, thus limiting his market.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

it seems we have a Jay Bruce prediction thread. my guess: 1/$12M. one dimensional sluggers are not as valuable when every halfway decent middle infielder hits 20+ home runs.

Jay Bruce should have no problem at all crushing 1/12.

Turn Off Ads?