Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Non-Top 50 Free Agent Targets: Who You Got?

Non-Top 50 Free Agent Targets: Who You Got?

Let's assume the Reds won't play in the big pool this off-season and rather will work around the edges to improve the team. Let's assume you've got up to $10 million to play with. After that, you have to get rid of guys.

Who would you like to see them sign? For how much (money) and how many (years)? Who's dropped from the 40-man roster to make room for this new acquisition?

I'll go first:

Fernando Rodney
    One year, $3 million (with a club option at $4 million and a $500,000 buy-out)
    Rodney went from closer to innings eater, pitching in 60+ games last season for Arizona. He's still capable and would have been the second-best arm in the Red bullpen last season. Adding a vet like Rodney (41 next season) would push everyone down the line a bit and provide a veteran who could teach the young-uns how to do it. If he blows up, it's only one year too.
    Who goes? Tim Adleman

Joe Smith
    Three years, $11 million (Front-loaded in a 4-4-3 format)
    Smith's been among the best set-up guys in baseball over the past seven years but is getting longer in the tooth (33) than most teams are comfortable with. He probably won't make much more than this and is a hometown guy. The extra year is an admitted gamble, but there's little chance they can get him if they don't add on that season, IMO. Smith might help the 'pen all the way down the line, as he'd be an outstanding setup guy for Iglesias. (A Smith/ Rodney setup tandem with Peralta and Lorenzen as middle relievers would be the beginnings of an only slightly below average bullpen and a huge increase in productivity for the team as a whole.)
    Who goes? Rookie Davis

Rajai Davis
    One year, $2 milion
    I doubt anyone will come knocking for Davis beyond a minor league invite, so I'd try to wait until I made a deal or two involving 40-man roster decisions or the Rule V. However, Davis could be a sneaky good addition to the Reds as the primary CF option against LH pitchers and 25th man on the roster. He's hit LH fairly well over his career (a 771 OPS and 340 OBP) and is still good on the bases. (He led the AL in SB in 2016.) As a platoon, he and Hamilton could provide some semblance of offense and a game-changing pinch runner late in close games. As the 25th man on the roster, he'd be a fine chip. (He could be moved, should a contender have a CF injury too.)
    Who goes? See above

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-05-2017),M2 (11-05-2017),mth123 (11-05-2017),RED VAN HOT (11-05-2017),REDREAD (11-06-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Non-Top 50 Free Agent Targets: Who You Got?

I'd welcome a signing of Rajai Davis. An actual back-up CF who can play the position would be a nice development. Joe Smith is a decent idea as well. Pass on Rodney.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-05-2017)

I wouldn’t mind signing Davis and Rodney. But you gotta accept going in that time could catch up to them tommorrow and they crash and burn. No after the fact complaining if they fall off a cliff. (Rodney wasn’t all that great this year, Davis either but for a few million I’d roll the dice on a few guys like that)

I’d love for a cheap CF to grab the job from Billy.

I kind of like the idea of Cameron Maybin on a 2yr/12-14 million deal. He gives you an adequate CF if you want to trade Hamilton or be a nice 4/5th OF.

8. Likes:

mth123 (11-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I kind of like the idea of Cameron Maybin on a 2yr/12-14 million deal. He gives you an adequate CF if you want to trade Hamilton or be a nice 4/5th OF.
    Yeah. I'm kind of hoping they show interest in Maybin. he's a better idea than Davis, but will cost more. Heck, they could sign Maybin and Jarrod Dyson as a quasi CF platoon and see what Hamilton brings back in trade.

I've never thought much of Hamilton's ability to hit even when he was a hyped prospect, but he's not as valueless as many make him out to be. He's an elite defender and many teams would be happy to have him in CF. I think he could bring back something helpful.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-05-2017 at 07:18 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

10. Likes:

corkedbat (11-05-2017)

Ok I’ll go, I would like to improve the overall bullpen so here’s my guys:

1) Sergio romo 2years 8 million. He shoes up the 6-8 innings

2) Steven drew 1 year 1.5 million. Backup sd good bench bat

3) Fernando Rodney 1 year 2 million. Old but serviceable might be able to flip

12. Likes:

REDREAD (11-06-2017)

Boone Logan would be a pretty good target after Cleveland declined his option today, I think. He's coming off a lat strain but I don't think he'd cost too much and he'd be a good addition to a pen that needs more than one left-hander.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-06-2017),Edd Roush (11-06-2017),Hoosier Red (11-06-2017),marcshoe (11-06-2017),REDREAD (11-09-2017),WrongVerb (11-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Boone Logan would be a pretty good target after Cleveland declined his option today, I think. He's coming off a lat strain but I don't think he'd cost too much and he'd be a good addition to a pen that needs more than one left-hander.
    Love to have Logan.

Might be relatively cheap too.

Not sure when the Reds plan to start competing, but if it's as early as 2019 any interest in Trevor Rosenthal? Cards released him. He'll be out with tommy john this year, but you might be able to do a 2 year deal at a reduced rate. He could be a potential high leverage bullpen arm in 2019 for cheap.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    He'll be out with tommy john this year, but you might be able to do a 2 year deal at a reduced rate. He could be a potential high leverage bullpen arm in 2019 for cheap.
    I was thinking this when I saw that he got his walking papers, I'd kick the tires.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-06-2017)

Wouldn't mind seeing the Reds sign Drew Smyly if he is non tendered in Seattle (which he should be) given he is in his final year of arbitration and recovering from TJ surgery. Maybe 2 years for 4 million or something. He had surgery in June and could possibly be able to come back in August and September and then be ready to go in 2019.

Also thought about Wily Peralta. He has been horrible the last 2 seasons but he will be in his age 29 season and his strike out rate went up last year as did his ERA. His velocity is 95+ so wondering if he were signed at a minimum salary or given a minor league deal if he could be a bullpen piece where his stuff plays up more and he can just focus on 2 pitches.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-09-2017),marcshoe (11-09-2017)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SErebel11 View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing the Reds sign Drew Smyly if he is non tendered in Seattle (which he should be) given he is in his final year of arbitration and recovering from TJ surgery. Maybe 2 years for 4 million or something. He had surgery in June and could possibly be able to come back in August and September and then be ready to go in 2019.

Also thought about Wily Peralta. He has been horrible the last 2 seasons but he will be in his age 29 season and his strike out rate went up last year as did his ERA. His velocity is 95+ so wondering if he were signed at a minimum salary or given a minor league deal if he could be a bullpen piece where his stuff plays up more and he can just focus on 2 pitches.
    I think Smyly could be a pretty decent pitcher, and if I was DW, I would give him an offer similar to yours, but why would he want to come back to Cincy where his fly ball stuff is more likely to make him look worse for his next contract?

Peralta had even less control when he was in the bullpen last year (7.79 BB/9 in 17 1/3 IP). I would be fine with a minor league contract with an invite to Spring Training, but I would not want to use a 40-man spot on him.

23. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I think Smyly could be a pretty decent pitcher, and if I was DW, I would give him an offer similar to yours, but why would he want to come back to Cincy where his fly ball stuff is more likely to make him look worse for his next contract?

Peralta had even less control when he was in the bullpen last year (7.79 BB/9 in 17 1/3 IP). I would be fine with a minor league contract with an invite to Spring Training, but I would not want to use a 40-man spot on him.
    I think in this world of metrics and park factors etc that GM's and agents are savvy enough that if a pitcher or hitter performs well based on those metrics that they will get paid regardless of their situation. Sure he may not want to come here and may have a better money offer or situation but I would definitely kick the tires on it.

My thought on Peralta is if he were signed up front to be a bullpen arm and knew his role coming in as opposed to being demoted midseason to the bullpen that maybe he would rebound and be an asset. It would be a flyer of course but you have to think that in his last year before being a FA that he has his worst season then gets shuffled to the bullpen for mopup duty that he had to be upset and lost confidence and so on. I think he could rebound if he had an offseason to prepare for a bullpen role and get a fresh start in another organization. Obviously, he could just be awful but at age 29 with a good healthy arm maybe he is worth a shot.

I'm guessing the Reds get something very reasonable done with Feldman as mainly a bullpen candidate, but also rotation insurance. I also think they add at least one (and hopefully two) bullpen arm(s) a lefty & righty setup arm would be amazing [Romo, McGee, Logan, Neshek, Hunter, Watson - maybe a closer-type like Chisek if Iglesias is dealt]. I also look for a 2nd or 3rd tier OFer who can back/challenge CF (unless one is acquired in a deal).

Reds shouldn't touch Feldman unless they know for certainty his knee can take the grind of a delivery.

Turn Off Ads?