Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season Part II: Electric Boogie-lu

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season Part II: Electric Boogie-lu

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Question for the group: i believe much in the idea that college and minor league numbers can be adjusted to show what a player could do in the NBA......with that in mind --i don't understand why Denzel Valentine is not a star. He had great stats in the Big 10--i would guess they translate well.....but i have seen him play 5 or 6 times and he looks completely overwhelmed ---what happened?
    Most "Stars" in college get exposed defensively in the NBA in my opinion. There is no NBA offense in College to judge their defensive abilities, and that's what makes it difficult. You get to see some things when you bring them in for workouts before the draft. That's when they get a good feel.

I was at the University of Portland game vs. Gonzaga (2 blocks from my house) where Olshey said he decided right there and then he was going to draft Zach Collins because of mostly his rim protection, but also because of Collins' natural feel for the game. Olshey knew then that Collins was years away physically from contributing positively in the NBA, but that when his body developed, he would have a skillset that other big men in the NBA simply don't have. There were only about a 1000 of us in the gym and I didn't see Olshey. I didn't see what Olshey saw, but I was there to watch Terry Porter coach. I was saddened at how bad he was and left at halftime.

Guess my point is that Olshey was going by his instincts and visual and didn't need any game film. I feel the same way when I look at baseball players and a lot of basketball players. It's why I keep supporting Marcus Smart. Also, seeing someone in person is the key. It's just not the same on film, tv, etc., though I only needed to see 60 seconds of Batum when I knew he would be excellent. He immediately reminded me of Jamal (Keith) Wilkes. I felt the same way about Harkless, Kersey....perhaps it's only that style of player I recognize....instinctive on the defensive end, ability to glide on the Offensive end with a long reach, and always sees the right play to make. Unfortunately for Batum, he's too soft and timid. Could be a French thing, the yoyo-ing that Nate did to him, or both. But, he let's his outside emotions effect his job.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Top-12 +/- players in the NBA:

1. Curry +132
    2. Durant +115 (it's just not fair, but I love that it's vaulted, in my opinion, the overall level of play in the NBA, as each franchise has upped it's effort to improve. For the first time ever last season, no NBA Head Coach was fired, showing a commitment to continuity, development and a plan. Free Agency money was down this Summer also implying more patience with their plans, and instead trades were performed like never before which are usually win-win for both sides instead of a Free Agency frenzy which has as much loss around the league as gain.)
    3. Eric Gordon +97
    4. Irving +90
    5. Horford +89
    6. Beal +83
    7. Aminu +82 (he was out the last two wins)
    7. Jaylen Brown +82
    9. Abrines +80 (a major reason OKC is playing great defense)
    10. Korver +78 (shocking when you see the worst +/- players in the NBA)
    10. Dillon Brooks +78 (everybody said every Oregon player couldn't play in the NBA, but some guys just try harder, and that's Brooks and Bell. Parsons, who plays basically the same position, is 15th at +68, and is handling his critics by playing well, just not on back-to-back nights. I'm sure Portland fans will boo him Tuesday and he'll respond well, which means they should ignore him.)
    12. Lillard +76

Dwayne Wade is 26th @ +57. Rose is a cancer. Wade should be starting and Rose should be gone off the team.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The Phoenix Suns are finalizing a deal to send guard Eric Bledsoe to the Milwaukee Bucks for center Greg Monroe, a first-round draft pick and a second-round pick, league sources told ESPN.

The teams reached an agreement in principle on terms of a deal late Monday night, and were spending early Tuesday finalizing medical evaluations on the players involved before formalizing a trade, league sources said.

Milwaukee should at least be a #3 seed when all is said and done, but Maker must continue to develop (he doesn't rebound or protect the rim), and who knows how effective Parker will be when he returns.

How does Monroe (in the final year of his deal) fit in with the Suns, who now have too many bigs, and must develop Bender?
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-07-2017)

Enjoying watching my SIXERS thus far. Thinking of getting the NBA League Pass. I currently can get their radio broadcast on my SIRIUSXM.
    Last edited by goreds2; 11-07-2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: added comment
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-07-2017),Revering4Blue (11-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    The Phoenix Suns are finalizing a deal to send guard Eric Bledsoe to the Milwaukee Bucks for center Greg Monroe, a first-round draft pick and a second-round pick, league sources told ESPN.

The teams reached an agreement in principle on terms of a deal late Monday night, and were spending early Tuesday finalizing medical evaluations on the players involved before formalizing a trade, league sources said.

Milwaukee should at least be a #3 seed when all is said and done, but Maker must continue to develop (he doesn't rebound or protect the rim), and who knows how effective Parker will be when he returns.

How does Monroe (in the final year of his deal) fit in with the Suns, who now have too many bigs, and must develop Bender?
    Ownership guaranteed that the Bledsoe situation was unsolveable as far as his return to Phoenix went, so they basically got a bottom-10 1st Rd pick and second and I think Monroe has an expiring contract, or very close to one. It was a dump. Milwaukee just keeps getting better by leaps and bounds.

1. Boston
    2. Milwaukee
    3. Toronto
    4. Washington
    5. Orlando
    6. Charlotte
    7. Detroit
    8. Miami
    9. Philadelphia
    10. Cleveland
    11. Knicks

(I'm missing someone)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Jazz forgot that they were supposed to be good at defense.
    Well, they won't have to contend with Embiid tonight.

Holmes is starting at center. Perhaps an Okafor appearance is in the cards.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Domantas Sabonis (right calf contusion) has been ruled out of Tuesday's game vs. New Orleans.

Translation: A very likely field day for Davis and Cousins.

Man, this could get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Ownership guaranteed that the Bledsoe situation was unsolveable as far as his return to Phoenix went, so they basically got a bottom-10 1st Rd pick and second and I think Monroe has an expiring contract, or very close to one. It was a dump. Milwaukee just keeps getting better by leaps and bounds.
    Monroe, indeed, has an expiring deal.

Bucks' death lineup?

Brogdan
    Bledsoe
    Middleton
    Parker (when/if healthy)
    "Greek Freak"

1. Boston
    2. Milwaukee
    3. Toronto
    4. Washington
    5. Orlando
    6. Charlotte
    7. Detroit
    8. Miami
    9. Philadelphia
    10. Cleveland
    11. Knicks

(I'm missing someone)
    No, you're not. Not even the "homer" in me can envision the Pacers crashing the playoff party; They're on the right track, though.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Watched the Celtics tonight. A few thoughts:

- They can step on the accelerator when they need it, at both ends of the floor.

- Kyrie in a modern offensive system is pretty impressive.

- If there's a better rookie than Jayson Tatum, that kid is one hell of a player.

- When Hayward gets back, the Celtics are going to have early '80s Sixers backcourt depth.

- Semi Ojeleye was outright theft in the 2nd round.

- I went into this season thinking Al Horford was overpaid. I was completely wrong.too
    I have watched a bunch of the Celtics games this season and have been very impressed. The comparison that lept to mind re Tatum is George Gervin. I have no idea how good a comparison it is but I think it was because of how effortless the offensive game seems to come to him.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I have watched a bunch of the Celtics games this season and have been very impressed. The comparison that lept to mind re Tatum is George Gervin. I have no idea how good a comparison it is but I think it was because of how effortless the offensive game seems to come to him.
    James Harden's defensive game is also effortless. He makes no effort at all.

15. Likes:

goreds2 (11-08-2017),Kingspoint (11-09-2017),klw (11-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

1. Boston
    2. Milwaukee
    3. Toronto
    4. Washington
    5. Orlando
    6. Charlotte
    7. Detroit
    8. Miami
    9. Philadelphia
    10. Cleveland
    11. Knicks

(I'm missing someone)
    I'm interested to see if Bledsoe can step up on a good team. It's a lot easier to post some numbers on a bad team.

Phoenix might be able to ball up that pick with others to move up in the draft. That's probably its best use.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm interested to see if Bledsoe can step up on a good team. It's a lot easier to post some numbers on a bad team.

Phoenix might be able to ball up that pick with others to move up in the draft. That's probably its best use.
    Maybe.

This year's draft is deep. The Suns could use a wing (UK's Jarred Vanderbilt?) or perhaps a PG (Collin Sexton, now that he's not eligible will slip through?) who has some serious promise.

Unless they can package to get into the top seven or eight, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Monroe, indeed, has an expiring deal.

Bucks' death lineup?

Brogdan
    Bledsoe
    Middleton
    Parker (when/if healthy)
    "Greek Freak"
    I'd go defense first and see what Thon Maker could do:
    Bledsoe PG
    Brogdon SG
    Middleton SF
    Giannis PF
    Maker C

That lineup could guard anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I think Gervin is a perfect comparison. He has the maturity now of a 5-yr NBAplayer. I don't know where his ceiling is. What I do know is thatwhen Smart enters the game, it trends in Boston's favor.

This may be my favorite season for watching th NBA. Most teams still have pieces to add and continuity to grow. Robin Lopez could swing a Champoonship to a team as a backup Center vs Golden State.

I missed the first half as I had obligations, but I'm looking forward to a second half which should be decided in the final minute
    ....a common outcome in the Western Conference of the 2017-18 NBA Season.

Lillard time (or McCollum time) should prevail.

Turn Off Ads?