Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season Part II: Electric Boogie-lu

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season Part II: Electric Boogie-lu

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Enjoying watching my SIXERS thus far. Thinking of getting the NBA League Pass. I currently can get their radio broadcast on my SIRIUSXM.
    They're extremely fun to watch; albeit sometimes still frustrating (bad shots from time to time, trouble closing out games, free throws, turnovers still too high). Simmons is way better than originally advertised and the team can really pass and really shoot. They ran out to multiple double-digit leads at Utah tonight, stifled Utah's offense (which sort of stinks anyway)- allowing them to shoot only 30.3% from the field <23.1% from the arc>, and out-rebounded them badly (56 to 45) even without Embiid.

A starting lineup of Embiid, Simmons, Saric, Covington, and Redick causes big-time match up problems and their team assist rate is starting to border on the ridiculous (23 assists tonight on 34 made baskets, 36 assists on 46 makes vs Atlanta).

So far this season...

Thumbs Up:

Ben Simmons- The guy has ice in his veins. No, he cannot shoot from further out than the elbow. Yes, he is a bad free-throw shooter. But he's also a double-double machine who's starting to take the ball to the rim with more and more authority. At his best, he looks like he's part Giannis, part Magic, and part LeBron. Maybe we Sixers fans do get to have nice things after all?

Joel Embiid- He's been doing a much better job of passing out of traffic when weak-side help arrives. If he continues this, he's going to be nearly unstoppable. Not like he's terribly "stoppable" in the first place, but yeah...add the "un".

Robert Covington- He's not going to shoot 50% from three-point land all season long, but he's off to exactly the opposite start versus what we saw last season. If I have a beef with him, it's that he doesn't seem to be able to anticipate passing lanes closing with the ball in his hands. That's odd because he does a great job of anticipating passes defensively.

T.J. McConnell- He's gone from being a borderline D/G-League guy to someone who has worked himself into being a spark plug. He's shooting like 50% from the three point line this season? He needs to make sure to not convince himself that he should be shoot-first, but other than that, I think I may have underestimated the Sixers version of Rudy. He's making himself into a real player.

J.J. Redick- As advertised and not the greatest defender, but works very hard at it. I didn't realize how intense he actually was until watching a few games. Appears to be able to will the ball into the basket when needed. Refreshing.

Thumbs Down:

Jahlil Okafor- You'd think with Embiid out and with Holmes in early foul trouble tonight, that Okafor would have anticipated maybe playing a few minutes. Y'know, maybe be prepared? But as soon as I saw him have to rush to tie his shorts up in the box during a free throw, I was worried. Oh, I had a right to be. He was terrible tonight. At this point, the Sixers may have to deal picks to get rid of him. I don't know how you get into a game for three minutes and leave with a turnover, three fouls, and two missed shots, but he did it while looking as disillusioned as it gets.

Amir Johnson- The Sixers keep playing him as a backup 5. And he keeps ushering pick-and-roll dunks through his own paint because A) He can't jump B) He isn't quick and C) He's not that tall. He's decent at grabbing offensive rebounds, but that's pretty much because he can't guard anyone. I know the guy had a great RPM last year (21st in the NBA), but he's terrible.

Dario Saric- He's been way better since being inserted into the starting lineup, but started the season slow as slow gets. He's too versatile to be on this list for long methinks, but his game is still a bit too finesse-ish around the basket.

Jerryd Bayless- Decent sixth man or second unit rotation guy; which is where he is now. Not good as a starter. Excellent shooting threes this season. Can't guard anyone. Maybe more of a "push" than a real negative.

Markelle Fultz- Evidence that my previous comment about being able to have nice things may be premature. Shoulder issues really sidetracked him before he got started. As a Sixers fan, I'm real leery of what "out indefinitely" means considering that "day to day" is measured in months by the franchise.

Overall, I'm not ready to say that the Sixers are positively definitely for real, but as they just beat Houston (should have done that twice), Indiana, and now the Jazz on the road, I'm not going to say that they're NOT positively definitely for real...

...'cause they might be.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Likes:

goreds2 (11-08-2017),Kingspoint (11-09-2017),M2 (11-09-2017),Revering4Blue (11-09-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Question for the group: i believe much in the idea that college and minor league numbers can be adjusted to show what a player could do in the NBA......with that in mind --i don't understand why Denzel Valentine is not a star. He had great stats in the Big 10--i would guess they translate well.....but i have seen him play 5 or 6 times and he looks completely overwhelmed ---what happened?
    Tom Izzo is great basketball coach, gets every last drop of talent out of kids!!!
    I'm out...like a fat kid in dodgeball

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

The more I see of Lonzo Ball, the more I believe he will be just average to slightly above average. I do feel he catches a bad rap because of his father, but that jump shot is just plain horrible. If I'm the Lakers I have him work on changing that form in the offseason. At this point they are stuck with it for this season.
    I'm out...like a fat kid in dodgeball

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    The more I see of Lonzo Ball, the more I believe he will be just average to slightly above average.
    In today's PG-driven NBA world?

In any order, I've at least 20 ahead of him. At this point, would you rather have Rajon Rondo or Lonzo Ball running your team? Tough choice, right? That's the level he's at.

Ball is, IMO, among the bottom five starters and, because of athletic limitations, he might end up stuck there. Others (TJ McConnell, Del Harris, even Chris Paul) have overcome that limitation. Is Ball one of these outliers, or is he simply Marshall Kendall with better pub and a loud Dad?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    They're extremely fun to watch; albeit sometimes still frustrating (bad shots from time to time, trouble closing out games, free throws, turnovers still too high). Simmons is way better than originally advertised and the team can really pass and really shoot. They ran out to multiple double-digit leads at Utah tonight, stifled Utah's offense (which sort of stinks anyway)- allowing them to shoot only 30.3% from the field <23.1% from the arc>, and out-rebounded them badly (56 to 45) even without Embiid.

A starting lineup of Embiid, Simmons, Saric, Covington, and Redick causes big-time match up problems and their team assist rate is starting to border on the ridiculous (23 assists tonight on 34 made baskets, 36 assists on 46 makes vs Atlanta).

So far this season...

Thumbs Up:

Ben Simmons- The guy has ice in his veins. No, he cannot shoot from further out than the elbow. Yes, he is a bad free-throw shooter. But he's also a double-double machine who's starting to take the ball to the rim with more and more authority. At his best, he looks like he's part Giannis, part Magic, and part LeBron. Maybe we Sixers fans do get to have nice things after all?

Joel Embiid- He's been doing a much better job of passing out of traffic when weak-side help arrives. If he continues this, he's going to be nearly unstoppable. Not like he's terribly "stoppable" in the first place, but yeah...add the "un".

Robert Covington- He's not going to shoot 50% from three-point land all season long, but he's off to exactly the opposite start versus what we saw last season. If I have a beef with him, it's that he doesn't seem to be able to anticipate passing lanes closing with the ball in his hands. That's odd because he does a great job of anticipating passes defensively.

T.J. McConnell- He's gone from being a borderline D/G-League guy to someone who has worked himself into being a spark plug. He's shooting like 50% from the three point line this season? He needs to make sure to not convince himself that he should be shoot-first, but other than that, I think I may have underestimated the Sixers version of Rudy. He's making himself into a real player.

J.J. Redick- As advertised and not the greatest defender, but works very hard at it. I didn't realize how intense he actually was until watching a few games. Appears to be able to will the ball into the basket when needed. Refreshing.

Thumbs Down:

Jahlil Okafor- You'd think with Embiid out and with Holmes in early foul trouble tonight, that Okafor would have anticipated maybe playing a few minutes. Y'know, maybe be prepared? But as soon as I saw him have to rush to tie his shorts up in the box during a free throw, I was worried. Oh, I had a right to be. He was terrible tonight. At this point, the Sixers may have to deal picks to get rid of him. I don't know how you get into a game for three minutes and leave with a turnover, three fouls, and two missed shots, but he did it while looking as disillusioned as it gets.

Amir Johnson- The Sixers keep playing him as a backup 5. And he keeps ushering pick-and-roll dunks through his own paint because A) He can't jump B) He isn't quick and C) He's not that tall. He's decent at grabbing offensive rebounds, but that's pretty much because he can't guard anyone. I know the guy had a great RPM last year (21st in the NBA), but he's terrible.

Dario Saric- He's been way better since being inserted into the starting lineup, but started the season slow as slow gets. He's too versatile to be on this list for long methinks, but his game is still a bit too finesse-ish around the basket.

Jerryd Bayless- Decent sixth man or second unit rotation guy; which is where he is now. Not good as a starter. Excellent shooting threes this season. Can't guard anyone. Maybe more of a "push" than a real negative.

Markelle Fultz- Evidence that my previous comment about being able to have nice things may be premature. Shoulder issues really sidetracked him before he got started. As a Sixers fan, I'm real leery of what "out indefinitely" means considering that "day to day" is measured in months by the franchise.

Overall, I'm not ready to say that the Sixers are positively definitely for real, but as they just beat Houston (should have done that twice), Indiana, and now the Jazz on the road, I'm not going to say that they're NOT positively definitely for real...

...'cause they might be.
    I want them to be for real. A few thoughts:

- They're a different team with Embiid. He's beyond a beast.

- Spacing is a big part of what they do. Their top four 3-point shot takers - Covington, Redick, Bayless and Saric - are all making 40% or better. That creates a ton on space for Embiid and Simmons.

- Simmons is big enough and athletic enough that he doesn't need to be a great shooter, or even a good one.

- Expect other teams to go small against them. They don't seem capable of defending a smaller, faster lineup. This is less of a problem in the East, but running the legs out of their shooters and Embiid/Simmons is how to attack this team.

- Per what you were saying, they don't have a lot of depth. TLC and Justin Anderson are the two players, along with McConell, to give them a more dynamic second unit.
    Wait until the year after next year.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (11-13-2017),SteelSD (11-11-2017)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

By this point, we all know that the Cleveland Cavaliers have struggled defensively. You don’t have to be a basketball savant or an analytics whiz to notice that the Cavs have problems keeping their opponent from scoring. It is the main reason why the team is sitting at a rather disappointing 5-6 record early this season. Cleveland is third-to-last in the NBA in points allowed per game at 113.9, and while that’s bad, the advanced stats paint an even more dire picture.

The highly useful stats site Basketball-Reference uses a formula created by Dean Oliver to calculate offensive and defensive rating. The good news for Cleveland is the team’s offensive rating is very good at 111.1, which is good for third in the league right now and is on pace to be the sixth-best mark in team history.

The bad news? Well, it turns out the team’s defensive rating of 115.2 isn’t only the worst defensive rating in the NBA right now, it is on pace to be the worst in league history.
    http://uproxx.com/dimemag/cleveland-...t-nba-history/
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I believe in the power of LeBron to overcome all of that. However, if he's got to carry the team through the regular just to get to the playoffs, what's he going to have left for the playoffs?
    Wait until the year after next year.

13. Likes:

Chip R (11-09-2017),Revering4Blue (11-09-2017),texasdave (11-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I want them to be for real. A few thoughts:

- They're a different team with Embiid. He's beyond a beast.

- Spacing is a big part of what they do. Their top four 3-point shot takers - Covington, Redick, Bayless and Saric - are all making 40% or better. That creates a ton on space for Embiid and Simmons.

- Simmons is big enough and athletic enough that he doesn't need to be a great shooter, or even a good one.

- Expect other teams to go small against them. They don't seem capable of defending a smaller, faster lineup. This is less of a problem in the East, but running the legs out of their shooters and Embiid/Simmons is how to attack this team.

- Per what you were saying, they don't have a lot of depth. TLC and Justin Anderson are the two players, along with McConell, to give them a more dynamic second unit.
    All of that is true, but none of that matters if they can't start to figure out how to close out games. Tonight was a perfect example in Sacramento. They had the game won. Never mind that it was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in my lifetime or that every time a Kings player needed to hit a shot down the stretch, they did (including the game winner from D'Aaron Fox; who's a terrible shooter). The fact is that Sixers had the game won but went into their typical offensive shell; which has now cost them at least two games this season.

I admire Brett Brown for taking the amount of pain he has over the past few years of losing, but the clock is now ticking for him. His longevity is going to be based on whether or not his team can fix the turnover issues and figure out how to win a game rather than not lose one.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

15. Likes:

M2 (11-10-2017)

Clutch shots made by Saric, Covington and Embiid tonight.

Huge clutch block by Cauley-Stein to give Sacramento a chance to win.

Both are young teams.

The order of difficulty of learning how to win games:

Win on the road.

Win close games.

Win games in March/April in a playoff hunt.

Win a 1st Round series.

Win a 2nd Round Series.

Win a Conference Championship series.

Win a Championship series.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

17. Likes:

goreds2 (11-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    All of that is true, but none of that matters if they can't start to figure out how to close out games. Tonight was a perfect example in Sacramento. They had the game won. Never mind that it was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in my lifetime or that every time a Kings player needed to hit a shot down the stretch, they did (including the game winner from D'Aaron Fox; who's a terrible shooter). The fact is that Sixers had the game won but went into their typical offensive shell; which has now cost them at least two games this season.

I admire Brett Brown for taking the amount of pain he has over the past few years of losing, but the clock is now ticking for him. His longevity is going to be based on whether or not his team can fix the turnover issues and figure out how to win a game rather than not lose one.
    Agreed.

Caught the last quarter or so of the game. I get the you can't speed up the growth process of the team argument to a certain extent, but this was definitely one that the 76ers should have finished.

Embiid, IMHO, gets too many ticky-tack fouls called against him. I realize that these things balance out over time, but it seems as though (and, no, I'm not stating that it is definitely the case) the league doesn't want him to dominate the league right away.

I feel the same way as you do about coach Brown, but I can't understand why he sat on his remaining timeouts with a road win in his grasp.
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

19. Likes:

goreds2 (11-13-2017),SteelSD (11-11-2017)

OKC is now 0-5 versus the Northwest Division.

Despite OKC playing very good team defense this season, all of the problems I said they would have they are having for the reasons I mentioned.....the egos of George, Anthony and Westbrook.

OKC falls apart offensively the last five minutes of every game that's close because each of them wants to be the Star.

As Reggie Miller correctly pointed out (when does he not correctly point things out?), ball movement stops and it's all one-on five. He also mentioned that it's still early, but if they are still playing this way seven weeks from now (January 2nd), then there's real cause for concern. My take was that it would take them too long to figure it out and they will miss the playoffs because of it and finish last in the Northwest Division, though only about four or five games from first.

Like the Cavs, they aren't just going to be able to turn on a switch. The league is too strong now to make a long second half surge.

Cleveland and OKC will both miss the playoffs (unless Rose misses 40+ games, then Cleveland has a chance).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I know it's early -- and it may take significantly longer than the commonly accepted time-frame of one month (due to several significant injuries around the league) to really get a feel of each team -- but Kingspoint's concern about OKC's stagnant offense appears to be coming to light. Their bench, at this point, is far worse production-wise than I would have imagined, and benching Roberson, IMHO, would even further damage bench production.

Time for Presti, once again, to pull a rabbit out of his hat. He may need to package Ferguson (upside and all) to acquire a bench spark-plug that can help NOW.
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

Reggie pointed it out in one sentence...OKC hasn't figured out the pecking order. Shaq and Charles agree.

Surprisingly, Fat Felton has been playing great for them, while Patterson has been great, too.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-10-2017 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Reggie pointed it out in one sentence...OKC hasn't figured out the pecking order. Shaq and Charles agree.

Surprisingly, Fat Felton has been playing great for them, while Patterson has been great, too.
    They need inside scoring on the second unit in the worst way. OKC may well be a good landing spot for Okafor to resurrect his career in a free-agent year, but I have no idea if Presti can offer anything of substance.
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

Mudiay was phenomenal tonight.

27 Assists on 38 makes for Denver.

Turn Off Ads?