Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB Rule 5 Draft Protection deadline November 20th

MLB Rule 5 Draft Protection deadline November 20th

Teams have until November 20th to protect players from the upcoming rule 5 draft by purchasing their contracts (adding them to their 40 man rosters). More than 120 players of the over 2,000 eligible players are usually protected each year, and the vast majority of them are already under contract for the 2018 season on a minor league Uniform Player Contract.

However, every year some of the players protected are eligible to become six-year minor league free agents two weeks prior to that deadline (Monday November 6th this season) and are purchased before them doing so. Teams can renew a player's initial UPC six times—for the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 seasons, in the case of 2011 draft picks—before the player either is declared a minor league free agent or his club adds him to the 40-man roster.

Below are the 9 players who have already been purchased in anticipation of the two deadlines (By purchasing them, the players' team has prevented them from becoming FA's and simultaneously protected them from the upcoming Rule 5 draft):

Colorado Rockies selected the contract of RF Noel Cuevas from Albuquerque Isotopes (2010 draft pick who had previously exhausted the terms of his initial UPC and was year to year)
    Chicago Cubs selected the contract of RHP Matt Carasiti from Iowa Cubs (2012 draft pick who had previously been released from the terms of his initial UPC and was year to year)
    Washington Nationals selected the contract of RHP Wander Suero from Syracuse Chiefs (2010 IFA signing who had previously exhausted the terms of his initial UPC and was year to year)
    New York Yankees selected the contract of CF Jake Cave from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (2011 draft pick who has just exhausted the terms of his initial UPC)
    New York Yankees selected the contract of RHP Nick Rumbelow from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (2013 draft pick who had previously been released from the terms of his initial UPC and was year to year)
    Cleveland Indians selected the contract of Eric Haase from Columbus Clippers (2011 draft pick who has just exhausted the terms of his initial UPC)
    Miami Marlins selected the contract of LHP Miguel Del Pozo from Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (2011 IFA signing who has just exhausted the terms of his initial UPC)
    Boston Red Sox selected the contract of Bryce Brentz from Pawtucket Red Sox (2010 draft pick who has just exhausted the terms of his initial UPC)
    Boston Red Sox selected the contract of Williams Jerez from Pawtucket Red Sox (2011 draft pick who has just exhausted the terms of his initial UPC)

2. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (11-07-2017),REDREAD (11-07-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Rule 5 Draft Protection deadline November 20th

Doug approves of your title.
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

5. Likes:

WrongVerb (11-07-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I do approve of the title. Because it's correct usage of the thing being talked about.

Both New York and Cleveland will have interesting decisions to make moving forward. Lots of talent that needs to be protected in both farms. Ditto LA (Dodgers).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I do approve of the title. Because it's correct usage of the thing being talked about.
    I approve too. I hate it when people refer to it as November XXth
    Last edited by klw; 11-07-2017 at 03:21 PM.

9. Likes:

757690 (11-20-2017),M2 (11-20-2017),mth123 (11-08-2017),redsmetz (11-08-2017),StRedlegs900 (11-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I approve too. I have it when people refer to it as November XXth
    The XII Days of Xmas really sets me off.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The XII Days of Xmas really sets me off.
    Tenmas?

The deadline for Major League clubs to add players to the 40-man roster in order to protect them from next month’s Rule 5 Draft is tonight at 8pm ET.

Over 100 players will have their minor league UPC's purchased this evening, granting them union privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The deadline for Major League clubs to add players to the 40-man roster in order to protect them from next month’s Rule 5 Draft is tonight at 8pm ET.

Over 100 players will have their minor league UPC's purchased this evening, granting them union privileges.
    It's a nice raise that's well deserved.

I believe the Reds have VII openings on the XL man roster to play with.

15. Likes:

BillDoran (11-20-2017),camisadelgolf (11-21-2017),mth123 (11-20-2017),NC Reds (11-22-2017),redsmetz (11-22-2017),UKFlounder (11-21-2017)

My count has us at 39 now, correct?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    My count has us at 39 now, correct?
    Yes. Congrats on being able to count as well as I can. Now I just hope we are both able to count correctly.

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes. Congrats on being able to count as well as I can. Now I just hope we are both able to count correctly.
    To be fair, I didn't realize anyone from Bellefontaine could count that high.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    To be fair, I didn't realize anyone from Bellefontaine could count that high.
    They do usually run out of fingers and toes.... maybe they are married and borrowed some?

20. Likes:

redsmetz (11-24-2017)

Turn Off Ads?