Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 Candidates On HOF's Modern Era Ballot

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 10 Candidates On HOF's Modern Era Ballot

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Tommy John's surgeon should be inducted
    Dr. Frank Jobe, right? Another non-player who was instrumental in transforming the game. Definitely should be in.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Off that list, Trammell is the obvious one. And I agree that Whitaker should get intoa Big Hall. I see him as being between Phillips and Cano in terms of production from a second baseman.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Trammell and Whitaker should go in as a tag team. They were inseparable. You can't talk about one without mentioning the other.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5. Likes:

757690 (11-07-2017),cumberlandreds (11-08-2017),Edd Roush (11-07-2017),klw (11-07-2017),redsfandan (12-10-2017),Tom Servo (11-07-2017)

My criteria is that the player must be one of the best at his position for at least 10 straight years or 10 out of 11 or something like that.

Trammell and Whitaker fit that easily.
    Simmons is close, but really only had around 8 solid years, plus, he played a lot of DH and 1B at the end of his career. So he's a no for me.

Jack Morris is a more interesting case. He was one of the league's best pitchers for 13 out of 14 years. The problem is that there weren't many great pitchers in his era, so his actual numbers are not overwhelming, or fit the HOF model. I still would vote for him, for his WS heroics put him over the top for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Trammell and Whitaker should go in as a tag team. They were inseparable. You can't talk about one without mentioning the other.
    One plaque? Maybe with a picture of them turning 2?
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

7. Likes:

Big Klu (11-07-2017),CySeymour (11-07-2017)

Trammell, Simmons and Tiant are my picks. But I doubt any of them get in and since I am a small hall guy, I wont care to terribly much.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Luis Tiant
    Alan Trammell

Ted Simmons
    Dale Murphy
    Jack Morris

Tommy John
    Marvin Miller

Don Mattingly
    Dave Parker

Steve Garvey
    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/260794...rn-era-ballot/
    Without doing any research, the above is how I would vote for them to be inducted. Parker and Mattingly would have been a likely shoe-ins if their primes had been longer/not interrupted. Garvey would have a better shot getting votes from people who did not grow up hating the Dodgers of Cey and Garvey.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My criteria is that the player must be one of the best at his position for at least 10 straight years or 10 out of 11 or something like that.

Trammell and Whitaker fit that easily.
    Simmons is close, but really only had around 8 solid years, plus, he played a lot of DH and 1B at the end of his career. So he's a no for me.

Jack Morris is a more interesting case. He was one of the league's best pitchers for 13 out of 14 years. The problem is that there weren't many great pitchers in his era, so his actual numbers are not overwhelming, or fit the HOF model. I still would vote for him, for his WS heroics put him over the top for me.

- - - Updated - - -

One plaque? Maybe with a picture of them turning 2?
    With your criteria, Votto needs at least three more stellar seasons. I would argue he's a season away from earning a bid.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    With your criteria, Votto needs at least three more stellar seasons. I would argue he's a season away from earning a bid.
    I have him at 9 seasons as one of the best 1B, so I agree he's only a season away. Either way, I'm not too worried about Votto getting into the HOF.
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Dave Concepcion fits that description. (1973-82)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

14. Likes:

757690 (11-07-2017),cumberlandreds (11-08-2017),dreghorntwo (11-08-2017),marcshoe (12-11-2017),redsfandan (12-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The Modern Baseball Era Committee, which is charged with the process of electing players into the National Baseball Hall of Fame through the Veterans Committee process, announced 10 candidates for election on Monday.

Steve Garvey
    Tommy John
    Don Mattingly +
    Marvin Miller
    Jack Morris
    Dale Murphy
    Dave Parker
    Ted Simmons
    Luis Tiant
    Alan Trammell
    For reference:

The last time Garvey, John, Miller, Parker and Simmons were on an expansion ballot they had to receive 12 of 16 votes to get elected, none of them received more than 6. Miller had done much better than that the time before, this will be his 5th attempt at induction on an expansion ballot. As players Garvey peaked at 43% on his 3rd of 15 ballot attempts, John peaked at 32% on his 15th ballot, Parker peaked at 25% on his 2nd of 15 attempts, and Simmons peaked at 4% on his 1 and only ballot.

The last time Tiant was on an expansion ballot he had to receive 12 of 16 votes to get elected, and he received 3 or less votes. As a player Tiant peaked at 31% on his 1st of 15 ballot attempts.

Mattingly, Morris, Murphy, and Trammell have yet to appear on an expansion ballot. All four of them exhausted 15 years of eligibility on the regular ballot with Mattingly peaking at 28% in his 1st year, Morris at 68% in his 14th year, Murphy at 23% in his 2nd year, and Trammell at 41% in his 15th year.

--I've yet to come across who the 16 members are on the committee, but I won't be shocked if none of them get in.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2017),Ron Madden (11-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    For

--I've yet to come across who the 16 members are on the committee, but I won't be shocked if none of them get in.
    The 16-person panel assigned to vote on them will be determined later this fall.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/260794...rn-era-ballot/

I'm a big hall guy and think every name on that list should be in. If I could only pick one, it would be Tommy John.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

19. Likes:

Big Klu (11-08-2017),marcshoe (11-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm a big hall guy and think every name on that list should be in. If I could only pick one, it would be Tommy John.
    Tommy John should be in just because he lent his name to the surgery. That surgery has saved countless careers.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

21. Likes:

mth123 (11-08-2017)

I'm a medium hall guy and I think Trammell and Miller are the only guys I'd consider. What really stinks is that there are at least 10 players from my childhood on the regular ballot that are more deserving than any of these guys on this "modern era" ballot...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with everything here except the part about Trump promising to drain the swamp of rich elites. When did he say that? I think he's putting in rich guys with the idea that they can't be bought. I don't think he ever promised not to put in rich white guys.

There are 77 pitchers in the Hall of Fame.

If you want to make your head hurt go over to fangraphs and sort pitchers by career WAR and try to figure out why guys like Mike Mussina and Kevin Brown aren’t in the Hall. The Hall is all out of whack as far as pitchers go.

I mean fWAR isn’t the final decision maker but once you accumulate a bunch of it, it becomes pretty easy to build a case.

24. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-08-2017),Edd Roush (11-08-2017),REDREAD (11-09-2017),Tom Servo (11-08-2017)

Turn Off Ads?