Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams Plans To Gauge Market When GMs Meet

Dick Williams Plans To Gauge Market When GMs Meet

Reds general manager Dick Williams and his front office will be on the scene in Orlando, Fla., next week for the annual General Managers Meetings that begin on Monday. While the GM Meetings are meant for executives to tackle industry business and topics, networking together can often lead to deals.

"We get a good idea of what other clubs are doing in the offseason, and if there is a fit for discussions," Williams said on Thursday. "We also inevitably talk to agents while we are there. Since all of the GMs are in one place, the agents come and want to talk about their free-agent portfolio."

Meanwhile, Williams and the Reds will keep an eye on another of the team's free agents, Zack Cozart. A qualifying offer of $17.4 million for 2018 was not made on Monday, freeing Cozart to sign anywhere without requiring Draft pick compensation for the Reds.

"We have continued to express interest in trying to find something that works for both sides," Williams said. "But I wouldn't say there is a lot of active dialogue, mainly because at this point it makes sense for him to at least see what the interest is that's out there. We're going to have to play that by ear and continue to be open to it based on what the market ends up being."

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/2...picId=27118370

2. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (11-10-2017),RedlegJake (11-10-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dick Williams Plans To Gauge Market When GMs Meet

Well, we know for sure what the Reds are not willing to pay for even a 1 year deal for Zack. Given his age and injury history I have to agree although I really like Cozart. I hope his offers are reasonable enough the Reds could make a counteroffer that keeps him here a couple more seasons. That lineup sure looks better with Cozie's bat than Peraza's.

Votto-Gennett, Cozie and Suarez until Senzel pushes Scooter out, with Peraza as MI backup looks pretty tasty.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

5. Likes:

Kiko (11-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Well, we know for sure what the Reds are not willing to pay for even a 1 year deal for Zack. Given his age and injury history I have to agree although I really like Cozart. I hope his offers are reasonable enough the Reds could make a counteroffer that keeps him here a couple more seasons. That lineup sure looks better with Cozie's bat than Peraza's.

Votto-Gennett, Cozie and Suarez until Senzel pushes Scooter out, with Peraza as MI backup looks pretty tasty.
    I'm not sure we can say the club isn't willing to pay for one year of Cozart, they just chose (rightly, I think) to not want him back on a one year $17.4MM deal. I think Cozart remains an option, but that the parameters of any deal are unknown at this time.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

7. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (11-10-2017),REDREAD (11-10-2017)

It's much better business to say "We feel good about the pitching we have and don't feel the need to pounce" than to say "We stunk historically last year and are looking for any pitcher with a heartbeat."
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

9. Likes:

757690 (11-10-2017),REDREAD (11-10-2017)

I will be shocked if the Reds make any moves (other than minor league fodder) at this meeting.
    "One person has a more positive outlook [about Dick Williams], and I would guess that was meant as a joke." RedsTeamGo

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I will be shocked if the Reds make any moves (other than minor league fodder) at this meeting.
    this isn't the big meeting anyway. Winter meetings are coming up later.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    this isn't the big meeting anyway. Winter meetings are coming up later.
    Agreed. Lots of times deals done at the winter meetings were originally proposed at the GM meetings.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-10-2017),Raisor (11-10-2017),Ron Madden (11-10-2017)

IMO, Williams' assessment that this meeting simply sets the table for later, more serious discussions expresses it well.

Regarding Cozart, the takeaway for me is that the Reds continue to have interest. I'd be very surprised if they have not explored every combination of money, years, options, buyouts, and deferrals that the Reds were willing to make. For Cozart, it comes down to seeing if substantially better offers exist? Cozart's agent might actually be able to gauge that at this meeting. My question would concern how long the Reds will wait for the situation to play out? It's possible that they could wait a long time in the belief that a backup SS (adequate D, no bat) will always be available.

I think the pitching appraisal is sincere. I believe the Reds are happy with the progress of the young pitchers in the last two months of the season and will simply wait out the market on starter depth backups as opposed to extending an offer early (pouncing).

15. Likes:

Chainsaw (11-15-2017),Ron Madden (11-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    It's much better business to say "We feel good about the pitching we have and don't feel the need to pounce" than to say "We stunk historically last year and are looking for any pitcher with a heartbeat."
    I think it's immaterial. Everyone knows their pitching stunk it up like a manure factory last season.
    Wait until the year after next year.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (11-16-2017)

CINCINNATI -- If the Reds do any significant offseason transactions, it usually starts after the Winter Meetings in December. However, they've also been known to make a deal or two at those meetings over the years. Either way, the foundation for much of their offseason work is often laid during the General Managers Meetings.

That continued on Tuesday during the second day of meetings in Orlando, Fla.
    "We had a number of discussions with clubs and have a pretty good idea of where those people stand," Reds GM Dick Williams told MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. "We have also had a lot of time with agents. We've compiled a good amount of information."

While the Reds' fan base is getting itchy to contend again immediately, Williams and the front office has stayed disciplined during the rebuild and hasn't made moves that would be considered risky or shortsighted shortcuts.

"Our roster now, we sit at two players over 30. There's a lot of young talent, a lot of guys that we want to have and need to see playing time," Williams said. "We've seen some really good improvements from these guys in their first year or two in the big leagues. Now we're sorting out who is here for the long haul."

"Give Those players the opportunity and let them carry us where they will, and if we continue to see a positive trend, we'll back that up organizationally with resources."

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/2...t-gm-meetings/

19. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (11-15-2017)

Prove to me that you can swim to shore and I'll throw you a lifeline. Otherwise, go ahead and drown.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

21. Likes:

Kinsm (11-15-2017),REDREAD (11-16-2017)

I count 33 on the roster. Williams is saying 32. Did I miss a transaction?

I don't think anyone should be surprised by what Williams is saying. It might not be what you wanted to hear, but it should not be surprising. Unlike Walt, who made only general statements and kept his cards close, Williams has been very transparent about the plan he is executing. The key phrase for 2018 watchers was 'now we are sorting out who is here for the long term.'

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I count 33 on the roster. Williams is saying 32. Did I miss a transaction?

I don't think anyone should be surprised by what Williams is saying. It might not be what you wanted to hear, but it should not be surprising. Unlike Walt, who made only general statements and kept his cards close, Williams has been very transparent about the plan he is executing. The key phrase for 2018 watchers was 'now we are sorting out who is here for the long term.'
    I had an issue there too, but I think we're both misinterpreting.

Dick W meant that there are two players over thirty YEARS OLD. Meaning Bailey and Votto. Should have also included Adleman, who just turned 30.

There are 33 players on the roster.

As for Dick's comments, I would have preferred a different tone. The way it sounds, the Reds are just about sitting out the off-season. Probably not so, but sounds like it.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-15-2017 at 05:36 PM.

25. Likes:

M2 (11-15-2017),marcshoe (11-15-2017),mth123 (11-15-2017),RED VAN HOT (11-15-2017),REDREAD (11-16-2017),Revering4Blue (11-15-2017)

In summary, we aren't going to put new tires on the car until we know it actually runs.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

27. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    In summary, we aren't going to put new tires on the car until we know it actually runs.
    You need decent tires before you can do a road test.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-15-2017 at 06:22 PM.

29. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-16-2017),mth123 (11-15-2017),REDREAD (11-16-2017),Revering4Blue (11-15-2017)

Turn Off Ads?