Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone try Top Golf?

Anyone try Top Golf?

Curious - any opinions about the place? Does it feel like real golf or a pathetic version of it? I went to the website and it looks more like a restaurant than a driving range. Just wanted some opinions from people who have tried it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Curious - any opinions about the place? Does it feel like real golf or a pathetic version of it? I went to the website and it looks more like a restaurant than a driving range. Just wanted some opinions from people who have tried it.
    I've done it a couple times. It's essentially a driving range with points. The balls all have RFID chips which get electronically associated with you. Then when you drive, you're trying to hit targets out in the range, and you get points based on which target you hit and how close it gets to the center. When you're there, you get your own tee, and there's tables and chairs so if you go with a group (which is the only way you ought to do it, IMO), and a server will take drink and food orders.

If you're looking for a driving range for practice, or anything resembling real golf, take a pass. If you're looking for an interesting place to have a party or do something after work with a group, then go do it.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I've done it a couple times. It's essentially a driving range with points. The balls all have RFID chips which get electronically associated with you. Then when you drive, you're trying to hit targets out in the range, and you get points based on which target you hit and how close it gets to the center. When you're there, you get your own tee, and there's tables and chairs so if you go with a group (which is the only way you ought to do it, IMO), and a server will take drink and food orders.

If you're looking for a driving range for practice, or anything resembling real golf, take a pass. If you're looking for an interesting place to have a party or do something after work with a group, then go do it.
    This sounds about right. I've heard good things from people who I never, ever thought would swing a golf club.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This sounds about right. I've heard good things from people who I never, ever thought would swing a golf club.
    I will tell you I've only been on a golf course three times in my life with the intention of hitting a ball.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I will tell you I've only been on a golf course three times in my life with the intention of hitting a ball.
    This makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    It's much more than a driving range as it does have some competition to it. I've checked it out and got a tour. I stopped short of trying it 'cause it seemed to me to be damn expensive. it's not something a family would do unless it's something worth a splurge like a birthday party or something. It might work OK if you got like 4 guys together and split the bill 4 ways

What is the distance from the tees to the nets?

I'm asking for a friend...
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    What is the distance from the tees to the nets?

I'm asking for a friend...
    It varies. IIRC, the shortest is probably 10-20 yards, the longest over 250 yards.

They are supposedly scouting land in Columbus (probably Polaris, because traffic up there isn't bad enough yet.) Hoping we get one, they look fun.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

I've done it a couple times. As others have said it is a really good group activity, but not something you would do to just go practice. They have a lot of different versions of the games, so if you just want to do a chipping competition and try and hit the target that's 25-30 yards out you can do that, or you can do a distance game if you want. It's kind of a merger between a driving range and a bowling alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I stopped short of trying it 'cause it seemed to me to be damn expensive. it's not something a family would do unless it's something worth a splurge like a birthday party or something. It might work OK if you got like 4 guys together and split the bill 4 ways
    It's not THAT expensive. I've been with my family several times. It's certainly not cheap, but it's not crazy either. I like the driving range/bowling alley description. That's about right.

When I was in Vegas last March, their Top Golf had a three hour wait at 1pm on a Saturday. And the place is enormous. Similar wait on a Saturday afternoon in Kansas City last June or July.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's not THAT expensive. I've been with my family several times. It's certainly not cheap, but it's not crazy either. I like the driving range/bowling alley description. That's about right.

When I was in Vegas last March, their Top Golf had a three hour wait at 1pm on a Saturday. And the place is enormous. Similar wait on a Saturday afternoon in Kansas City last June or July.
    I was going to suggest the bowling alley comparison too.

Also, the one I went to in Virginia, they allowed you to make reservations.

Bout the same here- the funny thing is that I have been the director of a golf tournament for 15 years now and everyone thinks I am some golf pro or something the day of the tourney. Its funny when they start talking golf lingo around me, and I tell them I don't know what the heck they are talking about. I wish I did paly, would be nice as most of my friends do and would be good to have something to do. When I have tried to play people look at me and say "you played baseball huh".
    I like the bowling alley comparison, or even something along the lines of the now defunct ESPN Zones, or Chuckie Cheese for adults.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I take it you take your own clubs there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I take it you take your own clubs there?
    No they have clubs there for you. I guess you probably could take your own clubs, but it isn't necessary.

17. Likes:

Chip R (11-15-2017)

Turn Off Ads?