Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Anyone try Top Golf?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Richmond, Indiana
    Posts
    2,167

    Anyone try Top Golf?

    Curious - any opinions about the place? Does it feel like real golf or a pathetic version of it? I went to the website and it looks more like a restaurant than a driving range. Just wanted some opinions from people who have tried it.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    American Canyon, CA
    Posts
    12,107

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Curious - any opinions about the place? Does it feel like real golf or a pathetic version of it? I went to the website and it looks more like a restaurant than a driving range. Just wanted some opinions from people who have tried it.
    I've done it a couple times. It's essentially a driving range with points. The balls all have RFID chips which get electronically associated with you. Then when you drive, you're trying to hit targets out in the range, and you get points based on which target you hit and how close it gets to the center. When you're there, you get your own tee, and there's tables and chairs so if you go with a group (which is the only way you ought to do it, IMO), and a server will take drink and food orders.

    If you're looking for a driving range for practice, or anything resembling real golf, take a pass. If you're looking for an interesting place to have a party or do something after work with a group, then go do it.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #3
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,466

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I've done it a couple times. It's essentially a driving range with points. The balls all have RFID chips which get electronically associated with you. Then when you drive, you're trying to hit targets out in the range, and you get points based on which target you hit and how close it gets to the center. When you're there, you get your own tee, and there's tables and chairs so if you go with a group (which is the only way you ought to do it, IMO), and a server will take drink and food orders.

    If you're looking for a driving range for practice, or anything resembling real golf, take a pass. If you're looking for an interesting place to have a party or do something after work with a group, then go do it.
    This sounds about right. I've heard good things from people who I never, ever thought would swing a golf club.

  5. #4
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    American Canyon, CA
    Posts
    12,107

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This sounds about right. I've heard good things from people who I never, ever thought would swing a golf club.
    I will tell you I've only been on a golf course three times in my life with the intention of hitting a ball.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

  6. #5
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,466

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I will tell you I've only been on a golf course three times in my life with the intention of hitting a ball.
    This makes me sad.

  7. #6
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,041

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Curious - any opinions about the place? Does it feel like real golf or a pathetic version of it? I went to the website and it looks more like a restaurant than a driving range. Just wanted some opinions from people who have tried it.
    It's much more than a driving range as it does have some competition to it. I've checked it out and got a tour. I stopped short of trying it 'cause it seemed to me to be damn expensive. it's not something a family would do unless it's something worth a splurge like a birthday party or something. It might work OK if you got like 4 guys together and split the bill 4 ways

  8. #7
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,215

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    What is the distance from the tees to the nets?

    I'm asking for a friend...
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  9. #8
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    American Canyon, CA
    Posts
    12,107

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    What is the distance from the tees to the nets?

    I'm asking for a friend...
    It varies. IIRC, the shortest is probably 10-20 yards, the longest over 250 yards.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

  10. #9
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,773

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    They are supposedly scouting land in Columbus (probably Polaris, because traffic up there isn't bad enough yet.) Hoping we get one, they look fun.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,674

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    I've done it a couple times. As others have said it is a really good group activity, but not something you would do to just go practice. They have a lot of different versions of the games, so if you just want to do a chipping competition and try and hit the target that's 25-30 yards out you can do that, or you can do a distance game if you want. It's kind of a merger between a driving range and a bowling alley.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    3,518

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I stopped short of trying it 'cause it seemed to me to be damn expensive. it's not something a family would do unless it's something worth a splurge like a birthday party or something. It might work OK if you got like 4 guys together and split the bill 4 ways
    It's not THAT expensive. I've been with my family several times. It's certainly not cheap, but it's not crazy either. I like the driving range/bowling alley description. That's about right.

    When I was in Vegas last March, their Top Golf had a three hour wait at 1pm on a Saturday. And the place is enormous. Similar wait on a Saturday afternoon in Kansas City last June or July.

  13. #12
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    American Canyon, CA
    Posts
    12,107

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's not THAT expensive. I've been with my family several times. It's certainly not cheap, but it's not crazy either. I like the driving range/bowling alley description. That's about right.

    When I was in Vegas last March, their Top Golf had a three hour wait at 1pm on a Saturday. And the place is enormous. Similar wait on a Saturday afternoon in Kansas City last June or July.
    I was going to suggest the bowling alley comparison too.

    Also, the one I went to in Virginia, they allowed you to make reservations.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,680

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I will tell you I've only been on a golf course three times in my life with the intention of hitting a ball.
    Bout the same here- the funny thing is that I have been the director of a golf tournament for 15 years now and everyone thinks I am some golf pro or something the day of the tourney. Its funny when they start talking golf lingo around me, and I tell them I don't know what the heck they are talking about. I wish I did paly, would be nice as most of my friends do and would be good to have something to do. When I have tried to play people look at me and say "you played baseball huh".
    I like the bowling alley comparison, or even something along the lines of the now defunct ESPN Zones, or Chuckie Cheese for adults.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

  15. #14
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    39,350

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    I take it you take your own clubs there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,674

    Re: Anyone try Top Golf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I take it you take your own clubs there?
    No they have clubs there for you. I guess you probably could take your own clubs, but it isn't necessary.

  17. Likes:

    Chip R (11-15-2017)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator