Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Plan For Winter Meetings / Offseason

Reds Plan For Winter Meetings / Offseason

Whether or not the Reds make an actual trade or signing at the Winter Meetings next week won't be the standard to determine whether it was a successful five days. Like Cincinnati general managers before him, Dick Williams takes a longer view of the offseason.

Dick Williams said "We have a plan going into the Winter Meetings -- really the offseason,
    I was talking to [Indians GM] Chris Antonetti the other day and he said, 'I try to avoid making any decision at the Winter Meetings. There's too much going on.' It's almost better to have all conversations there and then get out of there and make the decision."

The Reds have often used the latter half of the offseason to make their moves. By January, there is usually a full understanding of the marketplace, and unsigned players might be available for lower prices. Teams that have a need to fill in the weeks before Spring Training could become open to a trade they weren't as keen about in December.

The Reds have approximately $69 million committed to 2018 contracts but only three players ages 30 or over. Williams indicated earlier this offseason that the team has room in the budget to make needed additions, but Cincinnati still will not enter budget-busting bidding wars for top free agents.

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/2...nter-meetings/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Plan For Winter Meetings / Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Whether or not the Reds make an actual trade or signing at the Winter Meetings next week won't be the standard to determine whether it was a successful five days. Like Cincinnati general managers before him, Dick Williams takes a longer view of the offseason.

Dick Williams said "We have a plan going into the Winter Meetings -- really the offseason,
    I was talking to [Indians GM] Chris Antonetti the other day and he said, 'I try to avoid making any decision at the Winter Meetings. There's too much going on.' It's almost better to have all conversations there and then get out of there and make the decision."

The Reds have often used the latter half of the offseason to make their moves. By January, there is usually a full understanding of the marketplace, and unsigned players might be available for lower prices. Teams that have a need to fill in the weeks before Spring Training could become open to a trade they weren't as keen about in December.

The Reds have approximately $69 million committed to 2018 contracts but only three players ages 30 or over. Williams indicated earlier this offseason that the team has room in the budget to make needed additions, but Cincinnati still will not enter budget-busting bidding wars for top free agents.

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/2...nter-meetings/

When it comes to Free Agency, the Reds pretty much let the rest of MLB make their decisions for them.

4. Likes:

BillDoran (12-08-2017),cincyinco (12-09-2017),Donder (12-07-2017),Joseph (12-07-2017),Kingspoint (12-11-2017),M2 (12-07-2017),REDREAD (12-07-2017),RedsRocker (12-09-2017),Rojo Rijo (12-08-2017),Tony Cloninger (12-07-2017)

Thatís tremendous spin on the Reds part ahead of time...

6. Likes:

Big Klu (12-07-2017),BillDoran (12-08-2017),cumberlandreds (12-07-2017),Falls City Beer (12-07-2017),Joseph (12-07-2017),Kingspoint (12-11-2017),M2 (12-07-2017),REDREAD (12-07-2017),Tony Cloninger (12-07-2017)

Where is the spin? It appears every GM in baseball is following that plan. This has been a fairly quiet off-season for everyone.
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

Based on the feedback on DW being open talking about Ohtani, wouldn't DW be derided for giving any sort of details about off-season targets at the winter meetings?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

9. Likes:

LoganBuck (12-07-2017),Raisor (12-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Where is the spin? It appears every GM in baseball is following that plan. This has been a fairly quiet off-season for everyone.
    This offseason has been slow because of Stanton and Ohtani. They are the two big pieces holding everything up. Once their fate is done you are going to see a flurry of activity and the Reds will still be waiting for the K-mart special deals latter.

11. Likes:

membengal (12-07-2017)

How to gauge the market:

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    This offseason has been slow because of Stanton and Ohtani. They are the two big pieces holding everything up. Once their fate is done you are going to see a flurry of activity and the Reds will still be waiting for the K-mart special deals latter.
    Pretty much, once you get past the top two or three impact FA's who are out of the Reds' price range, pretty much EVERYONE left is a K-Mart special. What difference is signing a K-Mart special in December or in February? A K-Mart special is a K-Mart special.

The last couple years have seen slow winter meetings. I think we'll find that this will be another very quiet winter meetings, where there's a lot of talk, but not much movement from anyone. The biggest newsworthy story may end up being Aaron Boone and the Yankees.
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Someone wrote an article last week, and I can't recall who it was, but basically multiple front office execs were basically saying that it had nothing to do with Ohtani and Stanton and everything to do with the idea that if you just wait longer, demands come down and teams get better deals. And that pretty much EVERYONE is on board with that.

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-11-2017)

Man Pills

Free agents are irrelevant and a distraction. It's about trades. We all know it. He'll be graded on that and whether he continues to overpromote arms.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (12-07-2017),Roy Tucker (12-08-2017),Tony Cloninger (12-07-2017)

Reds Plan For Winter Meetings

19. Likes:

Falls City Beer (12-07-2017),M2 (12-07-2017),Newport Red (12-07-2017),REDREAD (12-07-2017),Revering4Blue (12-07-2017),Rojo Rijo (12-08-2017),Roy Tucker (12-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Free agents are irrelevant and a distraction. It's about trades. We all know it. He'll be graded on that and whether he continues to overpromote arms.
    This , I agree with.
    The price of free agents coming down later in the offseason.. That is generally true, but not relevant to the Reds.
    The Reds might sign a cheap guy or two (like Feldman last year) at most.

Hopefully DW has been working on trades.. The type of guys he should be targeting.. guys with multiple years of control left. Those type of guys are not going to see their price go down over the winter. I am assuming the Reds are not interested in taking on a contract from a team that has decided to tank next year and wants to unload contracts (like Miami). I will wait until the season starts to pronounce final judgement, but DW needs to be doing something this offseason, other than "gauging the market" and deciding nothing works.
    "One person has a more positive outlook [about Dick Williams], and I would guess that was meant as a joke." RedsTeamGo

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

21. Likes:

InsaneinthBrame (12-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    This , I agree with.
    The price of free agents coming down later in the offseason.. That is generally true, but not relevant to the Reds.
    The Reds might sign a cheap guy or two (like Feldman last year) at most.

Hopefully DW has been working on trades.. The type of guys he should be targeting.. guys with multiple years of control left. Those type of guys are not going to see their price go down over the winter. I am assuming the Reds are not interested in taking on a contract from a team that has decided to tank next year and wants to unload contracts (like Miami). I will wait until the season starts to pronounce final judgement, but DW needs to be doing something this offseason, other than "gauging the market" and deciding nothing works.
    Whether it’s a trade, a FA, or re-signing your own player, the Reds are hamstrung. The OP article makes it sound like waiting is a strategy - but in fact, it’s a (necessary) capitulation to the market. Reds simply can’t compete for the players who earn big money.

I’m respectful of this, they’re a small market, and operate under tough circumstances. But once in awhile, I just sigh when I see teams that actually DO compete for players early in the off-season, and AT the Winker Meetings, when and where some of the best guys tend to move to a new club.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-07-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Reds plans for the winter meetings:

1) Be early for the breakfast/lunch/dinner buffets. That way everybody gets hot food and they can sit together. In fact, designate an assistant GM to claim a table and chase away anyone who tries to sit there.

2) Don't make direct eye contact with any agents or free agents.

3) If another team starts getting too specific about a potential trade, excuse yourself and hide in the bathroom until they leave.

4) Employ the buddy system when you go to the pool. Some lifeguard making minimum wage isn't paying close attention.

5) Bring along a hypnotist to convince other teams they want to take on all of Homer Bailey and Devin Mesoraco's remaining contracts.

6) Leave a day early. No one will notice.
    Wait until the year after next year.

24. Likes:

757690 (12-07-2017),blakesta12 (12-08-2017),corkedbat (12-07-2017),Kingspoint (12-11-2017),membengal (12-07-2017),Mitri (12-07-2017),New Fever (12-07-2017),RedEye (12-11-2017),REDREAD (12-08-2017),Revering4Blue (12-07-2017),Roy Tucker (12-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Whether it’s a trade, a FA, or re-signing your own player, the Reds are hamstrung. The OP article makes it sound like waiting is a strategy - but in fact, it’s a (necessary) capitulation to the market. Reds simply can’t compete for the players who earn big money.

I’m respectful of this, they’re a small market, and operate under tough circumstances. But once in awhile, I just sigh when I see teams that actually DO compete for players early in the off-season, and AT the Winker Meetings, when and where some of the best guys tend to move to a new club.
    The only one hamstringing the Reds is the Reds

26. Likes:

blakesta12 (12-08-2017),Falls City Beer (12-07-2017),Kingspoint (12-11-2017),M2 (12-07-2017),Mitri (12-07-2017),mth123 (12-07-2017),REDREAD (12-08-2017),Roy Tucker (12-08-2017),Tony Cloninger (12-07-2017)

Turn Off Ads?