Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Smart Home Automation

Re: Smart Home Automation

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    http://www.freecleansolar.com/300-wa...RoCAp0QAvD_BwE

not sure how reputable the company is, just starting my research, but if 300+ watt panels are dropping in price to the $200 or less range, I'm going in. I figure I can buy 10 per year, stagger them out and add to it. Also looking at a nice wind turbine to help power the battery at night. The battery is the single big cost. I'm looking at Aquion if they stay in business. They make Saltwater batteries which are eco friendly. Each battery is about $1000 and you can stack them.

For me, all the automation and self production/storage of power makes all the sense in the world. I reduce my carbon footprint a bit, and I'm protected during the occasional power outage. Plus I'll look at the purchase of this equipment as a sunk cost. I'm going to spend that money on something, might as well be this.
    The cost at this point is mostly in the install labor right?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The cost at this point is mostly in the install labor right?
    ehh, I'd say it's about 1/3 of the total if you include solar install on the roof, wiring and battery install. I think a total home system battery could run as high as $6K. If you can determine just how much power you use at during your peak hours vs charging, it might be less.

I'm going to shoot for a 9Kw array. I want to store up to 6Kw. And also add to 300 watt wind turbines. (Texas Panhandle. the next day without wind will be the first day ever without wind) That'll give me 600 watts of charging with the sun down.

I'm still digging into this. I am in no danger of hurricanes, and if a tornado hits me, power is the least of my worries. But I'm at the age that I want to leave things a little better than I found them. One of my three kids will inherit this house, and I'd like it if I knew going forward they were a bit self sustainable.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

4. Likes:

Redsfaithful (12-17-2018)

Keep in mind there's a 30% Federal Credit that expires the end of 2019. Probably not going to be renewed as long as Trump is in office.

Might want to stock up on hardware....(but not sure if you can deduct hardware unless it's working...)

Note: This is not where we open this up to political discussion !!
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

6. Likes:

TRF (12-17-2018)

Just installed my 2 Honeywell T5 thermostats. Integrated easily with Google Home/Assistant.

Next for me is every light switch in the house converted to dimmable wi-fi controllers. Also adding rf kits to our existing ceiling fans, adding those to a smart hub, then to google home.

Last thing will be replacing the sprinkler system.

Pretty geeked about the thermostats

8. Likes:

RFS62 (01-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Rained non-stop in Friday. My sprinklers came on this morning. I ordered this earlier today.
    Did you set it up? I just checked mine.... last watered on Jan 12th, next scheduled to water on Feb 16th....
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-29-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Did you set it up? I just checked mine.... last watered on Jan 12th, next scheduled to water on Feb 16th....
    Same. Last watered Jan 12th, and next in 13 days, which is Feb 16th. That's the only time it's ran since I installed it towards the end of december.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Hey Jax, how's your lawn looking right now? It's been super hot and we've had no rain to speak of. My lawn is starting to brown in areas, which makes me wonder if the system is giving it enough water. You having any issues with this?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Hey Jax, how's your lawn looking right now? It's been super hot and we've had no rain to speak of. My lawn is starting to brown in areas, which makes me wonder if the system is giving it enough water. You having any issues with this?
    I noticed the same thing today. My suspicion is it's limited to HOA rules and even though it needs more it won't do it. If we don't get rain tomorrow I may force a watering. (I'll look it up!)
    Last edited by JaxRed; 06-03-2019 at 10:25 PM.

I noticed the same thing today. My suspicion is it's limited to HOA rules and even though it needs more it won't do it. If we don't get rain tomorrow I may force a watering. (I'll look it up!)
    I did the same. I watered Tuesday night for 10 minutes each zone, and then again Wednesday morning. Of course, then it rained a little Wednesday afternoon. Looks like the rain is coming over the next week, which will be nice. It seems like every time we go through a long stretch of no rain at all, it's followed by a month or 2 of constant rain. I prefer the latter, though. I do not like drought at all. I'll take tons of rain over none any time.

So, I have been struggling to fix two zones in my front yard. I've replaced heads, even a section of the line at the end of zone 2. And I bought this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rain-Bird-8...mer/1000778310

Which, by the way, is amazing. My main reason for spending the extra for it was it would tell me if any of the solenoids were shorted out. Sadly, nope, and I still cannot find the solenoids. I'm convinced at this point that two are either disconnected or just not working. replacement parts for them total something like $20. I just have to find them.

I've had my thermostats going for 6 months now, and have a cost savings compared to last June of $80. average temp was 4 degrees lower, but still, that is significant. All light bulbs are now LED. I've replaced older ceiling fans.

Got the Harmony hub to connect devices to my google home. However, it does not handle multiple TV's very well, unless you purchase additional hubs. Which is counter intuitive. I mean it sees all the tv's can turn them on individually, but when you turn one off via voice command, ALL of them turn off. It's stunningly stupid. And Roku only allows Google Home to connect to one Roku device. I have 6 Roku TV's.

I like TV.

Next will be adding the garage, and lights to the hub's, smart switches, plugs, bulbs etc. And as an aside, probably adding all new insulation in my attic. Discovered I have an attic fan that does not work. So I'm either replacing it or getting it repaired. My attic reaches 160 degrees in the summer.

Am looking for any suggestions on increasing the energy efficiency and automation of the house.

About a month from now I'll be installing a 50 gallon Rheem Hybrid Water Heater. It's wifi connected and has an app although that is not the big draw for me. It works like a mini-ac. It draws heat from the surrounding air and puts it into the water to heat it. It then releases cold air into the room.

Where traditional water heaters use about $419 worth of electricity yearly, this uses $110. So even though it will set me back $1229, the payback is less than about 3 years. And as a side benefit, it will cool the garage it sits in.

After it gets installed by my son-in-law (gulp) I'll let everyone know how I like it.

Although I have zero handy man ability, and am prevented by OSHA from using any tools, I'm intrigued by a You tube Channel by a guy named Matt Risinger. He's a home builder and he's constantly talking about ways to have super-low energy home.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MattRisinger

He subscribes to the theory that you shouldn't put down more insulation in the attic. That prevents the hot air in your attic from getting into your house. He believes in foaming up the shell of attic, to keep the heat from ever getting into the attic. He calls it a contioned attic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtLv4GpXQw

Here' another guy (older video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggk-ran6NKw
    Last edited by JaxRed; 07-18-2019 at 11:00 AM.

I've seen him. My attic is vented and has a powered ventilation fan that has not worked since we moved in. So while I'd like to go that route, I'm likely going the other way, lots of insulation, and get my vent fan working.

I just changed my mind. looked on Amazon. If I DIY it, I might be looking at $2500. And it seems possible to do it in sections.

Closed Foam or Open?

Turn Off Ads?