Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Cleveland Browns...Rising from the Ashes (This time we mean it)

Re: 2018 Cleveland Browns...Rising from the Ashes (This time we mean it)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Bill Polian thinks the Browns just need a veteran QB and fill in the pieces around him.
    To get them where? Back to respectability? That's about it. I hope the Browns have higher aspirations than that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I can't believe another thread was started to continue the discussion on the Cleveland Browns. Wasn't a 1,000 posts enough punishment? What are you people? Sadists?
    That's funny coming from a masochist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

My gut says the Browns should take Barkley at either #1 or #4 because he's such a freak athlete and very possibly a true franchise type player but my head says that the Browns still have so many holes that a DB like Minkah Fitzpatrick to go with a QB in the first round could pay off much greater and you could still land a quality RB in the 2nd round like Nick Chubb, Sony Michael, Ronald Jones, etc.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Kirk Cousins has entered the concussion protocol:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ing-for-browns

Seriously though, this might be the best scenario. Not to mention if they didnt get him writing a blank check to LeVeon Bell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    My gut says the Browns should take Barkley at either #1 or #4 because he's such a freak athlete and very possibly a true franchise type player but my head says that the Browns still have so many holes that a DB like Minkah Fitzpatrick to go with a QB in the first round could pay off much greater and you could still land a quality RB in the 2nd round like Nick Chubb, Sony Michael, Ronald Jones, etc.
    I probably like Cousins more than I should. That said, I think he and Dalton are in the same boat when it comes to abilities. Cousins isn't the type of elite level QB who can make up for holes in a team. If the Browns don't go QB and sign Cousins, they may pass up on a chance to get an elite, franchise altering QB. If I am the Browns, I continue to draft QB's in the first round until I find one that is worthy of being a franchise QB.

If the Browns can get Cousins they should, but unless the guaranteed money is off the chain or Hue gets him to chug the kool-aid I'd have to figure he'd just as soon either stay in Washington than go to Cleveland or take a similar offer from potential interested teams like the Jets, Broncos, Cardinals, or Bills.

In short, the Browns should absolutely try, but I don't think they'll land Cousins.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Cleveland takes Josh Allen at 4, who isn’t too far behind the other two and playing in Wyoming might be better suited for weather conditions in Cleveland as opposed to two west coast QBs.

Take Allen and Barkley and call it a day.

Even then, I think the Giants are more likely to trade back than the Colts. Mara is behind Eli and whoever they hire as coach will probably be hired to try to win with the current roster intact rather than blowing it up.
    Saw a mock today (I think it was CBS) that suggested Giants trade up to #1 to ensure they get Rosen)
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    If the Browns can get Cousins they should, but unless the guaranteed money is off the chain or Hue gets him to chug the kool-aid I'd have to figure he'd just as soon either stay in Washington than go to Cleveland or take a similar offer from potential interested teams like the Jets, Broncos, Cardinals, or Bills.

In short, the Browns should absolutely try, but I don't think they'll land Cousins.
    I think Bell is more realistic, which would take them out of drafting Barkley. Hes going to get PAID, and he may force his way out of Pittsburgh for it to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Not following. Are you saying the Browns should target two good quarterbacks this off season? That seems a bit of overkill when they have a lot of other needs. Or are you saying that the Browns should have been able to acquire at least two good quarterbacks over the past 10 years? If so, I agree, but they fired plenty of GMs over that time period.
    Yes. Two Quarterbacks. Three is what they should try to get. One is so hard to find. It's the billion dollar question in the NFL. It's the most difficult thing to do in the NFL. Let the competition determine who wins the job. The others eventually get traded when it's a sure thing that they have a franchise Quarterback. I've always found it it moronic for teams to put all their eggs in one basket with one legitimate "prospect".

Even when you think you have one, such as Luck, Kaepernick, Flacco, Dalton, Prescott, Alex Smith, Bortles, Carr(s), etc., as the list is ad infinitum, you don't.

Two teams have done it right. Seattle and Chicago. That's it.

You mentioned other needs. In the NFL there are no other needs. Without a solid (better than Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco, etc.) franchise Quarterback, you have nothing and all other needs are irrelevant. With one, you can have holes all over the place and still win playoff games and Super Bowls (see Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger with help from the officials, Kurt Warner).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-11-2018 at 08:28 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Yes. Two Quarterbacks. Three is what they should try to get. One is so hard to find. It's the billion dollar question in the NFL. It's the most difficult thing to do in the NFL. Let the competition determine who wins the job. The others eventually get traded when it's a sure thing that they have a franchise Quarterback. I've always found it it moronic for teams to put all their eggs in one basket with one legitimate "prospect".

Even when you think you have one, such as Luck, Kaepernick, Flacco, Dalton, Prescott, Alex Smith, Bortles, Carr(s), etc., as the list is ad infinitum, you don't.

You mentioned other needs. In the NFL there are no other needs. Without a solid (better than Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco, etc.) franchise Quarterback, you have nothing and all other needs are irrelevant. With one, you can have holes all over the place and still win playoff games and Super Bowls (see Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger with help from the officials, Kurt Warner).
    Doesn't matter how much talent a guy has, if you don't have an offensive line or receivers that can get open and catch passes, a quarterback will not be successful. You can win a Super Bowl without a great quarterback. You cannot win a Super Bowl without good players surrounding him.

12. Likes:

redsfandan (01-11-2018)

Two teams have done it right. Seattle and Chicago. That's it.

3 QBs? But, but Kizer is their franchise. Remember?

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Doesn't matter how much talent a guy has, if you don't have an offensive line or receivers that can get open and catch passes, a quarterback will not be successful. You can win a Super Bowl without a great quarterback. You cannot win a Super Bowl without good players surrounding him.
    Brady, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Palmer, Warner, Eli and other great Quarterbacks were all successful behind poor Offensive Lines and made mediocre Receivers look like Superstars.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    3 QBs? But, but Kizer is their franchise. Remember?
    With the assets they have, you don't settle for Kizer. You draft the best QB in the draft per your scouts, you trade for the best QB you can, and you acquire another one who can legitimately compete to start. Nobody gets handed the job.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think Bell is more realistic, which would take them out of drafting Barkley. Hes going to get PAID, and he may force his way out of Pittsburgh for it to happen.
    Part of me thinks that signing Bell would be (part of) the perfect scenario. It would fill a big need while taking a weapon from one of their biggest rivals. But, part of me thinks that if they're going to pay a lot to get a good free agent it should be for an offensive lineman and then a db. I just think that a good line (on offense or defense) is most important and then a strong defense.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Brady, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Palmer, Warner, Eli and other great Quarterbacks were all successful behind poor Offensive Lines and made mediocre Receivers look like Superstars.
    Yeah it's true that a great qb can make everyone else look better. It's also true that if there's enough good players they can make everyone else, including the qb, look better than they really are. I wouldn't put those three quarterbacks in the same category as Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Rodgers, or Warner.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 01-11-2018 at 09:48 PM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Turn Off Ads?