Turn Off Ads?
Page 60 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 886 to 900 of 999

Thread: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

  1. #886
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    11,905

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    Having had a short night to reflect (couldn't sleep, stayed up to drink in an as much ESPN and NFL network as I could since I couldn't sleep and was anticipating a happy day at work amongst all the Ravens fans...), the following:

    1. I absolutely will not kill them for the play selections to end the first half. I have railed for years that Marvin is too conservative there, I will not get mad at him for allowing them to try and put foot on throat. Execute better next time, but keep trying to score. That's how you get ready to win playoff games and other big games, frankly.

    2. The Lazor offense is a joy to watch. So creative, not just at scheming guys open, but in protecting Andy and maximizing the effectiveness of the line.

    3. Cool to see what Green looks like with help and someone to move him around in various sets. He is uncoverable in man in that scenario, and if they do double cover him, it makes the other weapons that much more effective.

    4. Uzomah looks like Eifert's replacement in real time.

    5. Mixon looks like the real deal to me for sure, putting the ball in his hands and team on his back in 4th quarter for that last drive to go up eight and then to set up the clinching field goal felt right.

    6. Tyler Boyd is a legit weapon. Once they start sprinkling Ross in more effectively, I see no reason for them to take their foot off the gas at any point.

    7. Gotta give Austin credit, that defense does look like it is trying for turnovers at all times. That's a nice change. And, while we are at it, loved the aggressiveness from Austin on the blitz call that resulted in the Williams forced fumble and subsequent team recovery late in the 4th. Guenther would have had them in a shell.

    8. Big kicks from Bullock again, he has earned my trust. Wish he had a bigger leg, but nice to be able to count on him when they need him.

    9. NO sacks allowed by the offensive line. That's quite something, considering what everyone expected and feared heading into the game...

    Thrilled with this start to the season. Just huge. It was fun to watch the national narrative shift in real time last night...
    Last edited by membengal; 09-14-2018 at 08:22 AM.

  2. Likes:

    Boss-Hog (09-14-2018),BuckeyeRed27 (09-14-2018),HeatherC1212 (09-14-2018),Reds Fanatic (09-14-2018),Redsfaithful (09-14-2018),StRedlegs900 (09-14-2018),WVRed (09-14-2018)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #887
    Kmac5 KoryMac5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waterloo, NY
    Posts
    3,785

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    I agree with Uzomah, every time the kid makes a catch it seems like it goes for 15-20 yds. He looks like a runaway truck in the open field. Definitely want to see him get some burn and overall I like the way the Bengals are handling Eifert.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

  5. #888
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,076

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Having had a short night to reflect (couldn't sleep, stayed up to drink in an as much ESPN and NFL network as I could since I couldn't sleep and was anticipating a happy day at work amongst all the Ravens fans...), the following:

    1. I absolutely will not kill them for the play selections to end the first half. I have railed for years that Marvin is too conservative there, I will not get mad at him for allowing them to try and put foot on throat. Execute better next time, but keep trying to score. That's how you get ready to win playoff games and other big games, frankly.

    2. The Lazor offense is a joy to watch. So creative, not just at scheming guys open, but in protecting Andy and maximizing the effectiveness of the line.

    3. Cool to see what Green looks like with help and someone to move him around in various sets. He is uncoverable in man in that scenario, and if they do double cover him, it makes the other weapons that much more effective.

    4. Uzomah looks like Eifert's replacement in real time.

    5. Mixon looks like the real deal to me for sure, putting the ball in his hands and team on his back in 4th quarter for that last drive to go up eight and then to set up the clinching field goal felt right.

    6. Tyler Boyd is a legit weapon. Once they start sprinkling Ross in more effectively, I see no reason for them to take their foot off the gas at any point.

    7. Gotta give Austin credit, that defense does look like it is trying for turnovers at all times. That's a nice change. And, while we are at it, loved the aggressiveness from Austin on the blitz call that resulted in the Williams forced fumble and subsequent team recovery late in the 4th. Guenther would have had them in a shell.

    8. Big kicks from Bullock again, he has earned my trust. Wish he had a bigger leg, but nice to be able to count on him when they need him.

    9. NO sacks allowed by the offensive line. That's quite something, considering what everyone expected and feared heading into the game...

    Thrilled with this start to the season. Just huge. It was fun to watch the national narrative shift in real time last night...
    Excellent review. I also didn't sleep well last night. Please give us an anecdote or two from your day at work amongst Raven fans today.

    One other thing for which the new coaches ought to be praised is play execution. The O line and the offense in particular is executing so much better than what we were accustomed to seeing. I know it's only two games but I think the team improved immensely on the coaching staff from last yr. Did you catch that one of the announcers (I think it was Troy) who commented on how bad the Cowboys O line is looking this yr?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I agree with Uzomah, every time the kid makes a catch it seems like it goes for 15-20 yds. He looks like a runaway truck in the open field. Definitely want to see him get some burn and overall I like the way the Bengals are handling Eifert.
    I think he's often neglected by opposing defenses given all the other weapons they have to account for. Kudos to him for being able to capitalize

  6. #889
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    11,896

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    Some of my thoughts from the game.

    1. The Dalton and Lazor combination look like they are working. I saw something where Lazor went back and started calling plays that worked with Dalton at TCU. If you look at the success Dalton has had over his career, it has been with more innovative play callers.
    2. I think the play calling at the end of the half was the reason Baltimore got back into the game. That said, I have no issue with that series. I would have run the ball, but if it was stuffed on 2nd, then Baltimore is using a TO and nothing really changes. I think what would the best teams in the league do, and go for it is exactly what they would have done.
    3. Mixon had a great game, yes a great game. He gutted through some injuries and really made some huge runs on key downs. He still dances around a little too much for me, some times you want him to stick his nose in and get those for sure 3-5 yards instead of trying to bounce it outside and break a long one. But when you break a long one you tend to forget about the lost yardage.
    4. The defense played well. I love what I have seen out of Bates, he is a ball hawk. I still can't believe that deep ball was caught over the middle when it looked like he was going to pick it off. Dre had a good game, there was as stupid PI call on him, but he had a solid performance. I love what I see out of Hubbard, especially as a rookie. He was my favorite Bengals pick in a long time.
    5. The pass rush will be tough in every game. Atkins is a beast and Dunlap knows how to make plays. I love Dunlap's ability to bat balls down. I saw a stat where Lawson is on pace for over 80 pressures, something that Mack and Miller did last season.
    6. For the 3rd time, Marvin has a re-boot and he has revamped the coaching staff. It has gone pretty much unnoticed by the national reporters, but has been a huge development.
    7. Boyd had a great game, I still want to see more of Ross. Made a good catch but dropped a ball he just can't.
    8. Too many flags for another week.
    9. The Bengals did what they needed to do. If, and its a big if, they can split the next two games, they will make the playoffs.

  7. Likes:

    membengal (09-14-2018)

  8. #890
    Member Reds Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    19,502

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Excellent review. I also didn't sleep well last night. Please give us an anecdote or two from your day at work amongst Raven fans today.

    One other thing for which the new coaches ought to be praised is play execution. The O line and the offense in particular is executing so much better than what we were accustomed to seeing. I know it's only two games but I think the team improved immensely on the coaching staff from last yr. Did you catch that one of the announcers (I think it was Troy) who commented on how bad the Cowboys O line is looking this yr?
    It is amazing what getting good coaches in can do for you. So far these new coaching hires have been huge improvements over what has been here for years

  9. Likes:

    Kingspoint (09-14-2018)

  10. #891
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,076

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Yes, on the Int's.

    Very disconcerting how many passing yards the Bengals have given up the first two games despite putting up great pressure in both and having talent in the Secondary. There are definite scheme issues that need fixing. Let's see what happens against Keenum. Sandes could go off for 150 yards as he runs the crossing routes that are killing the Bengals, while Demaryius is no longer a deep threat, also running underneath routes.
    The Bengals D shows how things are done in today's NFL. With all the rule changes, the most important part of any defense is the D line and the ability to harass the QB. Good QBs will get their yards. You can't cover these receivers due to contact rules and the ticky tack PI rules. What you can do is pressure the QB, try to get sacks, get their O line called for holding and force them into mistakes which cause turnovers. That's why you're seeing the league pay up for pass rushers.

    The Bengals had four sacks, 12 deflected passes, four tackles for loss and eight quarterback hits. As long as they continue to do that, they'll be all right. Recent Super Bowls have shown us that good defense does NOT defeat good offense any more in the NFL. They've deliberately manipulated the rules to make games a scoring fest.

  11. Likes:

    bucksfan2 (09-14-2018)

  12. #892
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    19,564

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    I am glad to see the recognition that the last Bengals drive of the first half was more a failure to execute than a mistake strategically. Good field position, offense clicking, it was just unfortunate to go three and out, and that is on execution.

    The scoring drive Baltimore had was a gift anyhow. Of course, Marvin can't get out of his way, called a timeout on the offensive PI, which probably would have limited the damage to a FG if that play happened. The PI call that put them on the 1 was crap too. I hope the white haired ref with the hipster glasses does not draw our game again. He was pathetic, acted like he was the crew chief. He was involved on changing the call to interception on the first drive that his teammate got right in the first place, because he had better position. He made the PI call right before the half that everyone analyzed as very questionable and was not enough to be PI, yet he very emphatically threw the flag. Must have been a Steelers fan.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  13. #893
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,076

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I am glad to see the recognition that the last Bengals drive of the first half was more a failure to execute than a mistake strategically. Good field position, offense clicking, it was just unfortunate to go three and out, and that is on execution.

    The scoring drive Baltimore had was a gift anyhow. Of course, Marvin can't get out of his way, called a timeout on the offensive PI, which probably would have limited the damage to a FG if that play happened. The PI call that put them on the 1 was crap too. I hope the white haired ref with the hipster glasses does not draw our game again. He was pathetic, acted like he was the crew chief. He was involved on changing the call to interception on the first drive that his teammate got right in the first place, because he had better position. He made the PI call right before the half that everyone analyzed as very questionable and was not enough to be PI, yet he very emphatically threw the flag. Must have been a Steelers fan.
    That official did have a bad day . I don't see how he called that play an INT. He was in perfect position to see the white puff of powder come up as the Raven stepped out. Replays clearly showed that. I hope he gets a talkin' to this week

  14. #894
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    8,991

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Maybe it was just me but he appeared to be the only guy on NFL Network tonight who wasn't anti-Bengals
    He's always neutral.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  15. #895
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    8,991

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    We get to test my theory for the last five years....yes, five years, that our Defensive Line is better by subtraction without Michael Johnson. So often every season with almost every team, teams in all sports improve in spite of Coaches' and General Managers' unworthy love of certain players. Injuries make the decisions for them that they should be making themselves.

    MJ is due to miss a few games, and that's a good thing.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  16. #896
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,514

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    I'm late to the party, but Troy Aikman is a moron.

    As if you can just push the QB down after a play because football is a tough sport...

    He is truly an idiot.

  17. Likes:

    RiverRat13 (09-14-2018)

  18. #897
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    11,896

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    We get to test my theory for the last five years....yes, five years, that our Defensive Line is better by subtraction without Michael Johnson. So often every season with almost every team, teams in all sports improve in spite of Coaches' and General Managers' unworthy love of certain players. Injuries make the decisions for them that they should be making themselves.

    MJ is due to miss a few games, and that's a good thing.
    Yea this is a theory by many Bengals fans, yet the Bengals keep bringing him back. I will say this about MJ, the Bengals know what he bring to the table, they know what he does in the run game. He is no longer a pass rush threat, but he used to be, good in the running game.

    It think his loss will be felt in the depth department, not in the playmaking department.

  19. #898
    Member Reds Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    19,502

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    Sounds like good news on Price it is ankle sprain but he might be ready for the next game with the extra days they have

  20. #899
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,076

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'm late to the party, but Troy Aikman is a moron.

    As if you can just push the QB down after a play because football is a tough sport...

    He is truly an idiot.
    The idiot is Colin Cowherd. He just began his show with:

    1) No admission that he predicted a low scoring game last night and a Ravens win

    2) Nothing complimentary about the Bengals

    3) Saying that the Ravens are still a good team and will be "all right"

  21. Likes:

    Kingspoint (09-14-2018)

  22. #900
    Kmac5 KoryMac5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waterloo, NY
    Posts
    3,785

    Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'm late to the party, but Troy Aikman is a moron.

    As if you can just push the QB down after a play because football is a tough sport...

    He is truly an idiot.
    Yep I liked that Mike Pereira stepped in and shut him down soon after letting him know it was a flag due to being unnecessary contact...

    - - - Updated - - -

    I think Sam Hubbard is going to be really good, and though I don't love MJ he has done a nice job of mentoring some of these young kids. Give me more Hubbard!
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

  23. Likes:

    HeatherC1212 (09-14-2018),Hoosier Red (09-14-2018)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator