Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: 2018 Bengals Season - Marvin is Coach For Life!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The Bengals are going to be good again. No idea on playoffs, but competitive.
    What year are you talking and will I be alive then? Just joking.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    What year are you talking and will I be alive then? Just joking.
    I know you're kidding, but everyone will sleep on them and they'll probably be a wild card team or division winner. They weren't as far away this year as they appeared, and these changes will push them over the top. They'll still be limited by Dalton so I'd never suggest they'd make a deep playoff run, but I think they'll be good for 9-11 wins.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Lewis and Lazor want the O line to be more aggressive, I think Pollack helps out with that as the Cowboys line has been quite good over the last few yrs.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I know you're kidding, but everyone will sleep on them and they'll probably be a wild card team or division winner. They weren't as far away this year as they appeared, and these changes will push them over the top. They'll still be limited by Dalton so I'd never suggest they'd make a deep playoff run, but I think they'll be good for 9-11 wins.
    The bar is not high to be a playoff team. As sorry as they were last yr, they were pretty much equal with the 2 Wildcard teams. All you have to do is be Buffalo or Tenn to be a playoff team.

I'm not gettin' why the Cowboys are interested in Alexander. What do they see in him?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The bar is not high to be a playoff team. As sorry as they were last yr, they were pretty much equal with the 2 Wildcard teams. All you have to do is be Buffalo or Tenn to be a playoff team.

I'm not gettin' why the Cowboys are interested in Alexander. What do they see in him?
    Down year for the AFC. Don't expect it again. Houston, Jax and Ten are all playoff teams next year. Only one AFC North, one AFC West and one AFC East team make it next year. Luck is hopeless and an albatross around the neck of Indy. Bengals have to win the Division to make the playoffs. Steelers will lose at least six games, so they should win it with 11 wins. Tennessee and Jacksonville will both be vastly improved next season as will Houston. Mariota is only 13 months removed from a broken leg. Corey Davis will be in year two. Murray will be gone. For Jax, Robinson will be back and Westbrook will be in year two.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Down year for the AFC. Don't expect it again. Houston, Jax and Ten are all playoff teams next year. Only one AFC North, one AFC West and one AFC East team make it next year. Luck is hopeless and an albatross around the neck of Indy. Bengals have to win the Division to make the playoffs. Steelers will lose at least six games, so they should win it with 11 wins. Tennessee and Jacksonville will both be vastly improved next season as will Houston. Mariota is only 13 months removed from a broken leg. Corey Davis will be in year two. Murray will be gone. For Jax, Robinson will be back and Westbrook will be in year two.
    I expect Jax to take a step back next yr. A lot of things went right for them this yr. Health, easy schedule etc. Next yr they get the Eagles, the Patriots, the Steelers, the Cowboys. They may very well have to face Indy and Houston twice each with their stud QBs. That'll be a huge difference.

8. Likes:

bucksfan2 (01-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I expect Jax to take a step back next yr. A lot of things went right for them this yr. Health, easy schedule etc. Next yr they get the Eagles, the Patriots, the Steelers, the Cowboys. They may very well have to face Indy and Houston twice each with their stud QBs. That'll be a huge difference.
    The Jaguars are barely tapping their potential.

As Steve Young pointed out, Jacksonville could be run on this season, but even if Pittsburgh tries to stick to that gameplan, they are still going to dismantle the Steelers this weekend. Can't believe how many people are still ignoring them despite their complete crushing of Pittsburgh once already this year. The only thing that can save the Steelers is their traditional assistance from the referee crew and the NFL in New Jersey, traditional home of the underworld.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-11-2018 at 11:03 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

wally post (01-13-2018)

If Jax gets a decent QB with Robinson back there’s no way they’re taking a step back. I feel the Bengals schedule is quite tough but with a good draft and improvements with new coaches the playoffs are definitely realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Bengals have signed Frank Pollack as offensive line coach. That looks like a really good hire. He was the Cowboys offensive line coach the last 3 years. In fact the Bengals and Cowboys may essentially be swapping OL coaches as Alexander is interviewing with the Cowboys
    And that is a solid hire.

Now draft (or sign) some solid offensive linemen for him to coach.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Pollack had a lot of talent to work with in Dallas, so while I understand the excitement, it remains to be see if he made the dominant Dallas OL or the dominant Dallas OL made him.

My understanding is that the Bengals line improved the last few weeks because Lazor overruled Alexander in blocking schemes. Then you had the change in personnel. So maybe the key isn't so much finding a guy who can "coach up" who you have, but finding a guy who is adaptable to the personnel. And for that reason, I'm excited that the change was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The Jaguars are barely tapping their potential.

As Steve Young pointed out, Jacksonville could be run on this season, but even if Pittsburgh tries to stick to that gameplan, they are still going to dismantle the Steelers this weekend. Can't believe how many people are still ignoring them despite their complete crushing of Pittsburgh once already this year. The only thing that can save the Steelers is their traditional assistance from the referee crew and the NFL in New Jersey, traditional home of the underworld.
    If I were confident that Big Ben would throw 5 INT's again against Jacksonville, I would be confident Jax could win. If Pitt gets up, by 9+ points and makes Jax chase, it will get ugly. Bortles is a game managing QB who can make plays when needed, but I don't see them winning if Pitt scores 17+ points.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Can you really call a QB that has thrown the ball as much as Bortles has the last 3 years a 'game managing QB'? I don't even know what that means anymore.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Can you really call a QB that has thrown the ball as much as Bortles has the last 3 years a 'game managing QB'? I don't even know what that means anymore.
    It means they suck if the rest of the team isn't awesome.

Trent Dilfer was a "game manager".

I know what you mean though. They used to call Joe Montana a game manager.

"So Fla Red"

Maybe a big tease but very happy with the non-HC upgrades with Lazor remaining as OC and Pollack hired immediately from Dallas. Austin and his discipline style should be a wash or upgrade over Guenther too.

I could live with Mediocre Marv as HC if the offseason comes with 1-2 actual, real FA moves to supplement an OL rich draft

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-13-2018)

They announced the hire of Alex Van Pelt, who was Aaron Rodgers’ qb coach in Green Bay, to be qb coach here. That’s another pretty damn great hire.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Turn Off Ads?