Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Enquirer hiring new Reds columnist

Re: Enquirer hiring new Reds columnist

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And since I'm a lunatic and won't get on a plane.....
    ...I'm glad they don't allow lunatics on planes either.
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

2. Likes:

Big Klu (01-12-2018),dougdirt (01-12-2018),Raisor (01-12-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Given the benefits that come along with it, absolutely.

But, guys, the RV thing wouldn't be needed if someone else were paying for my travel. That was the entire point behind the RV. To save money in the long run instead of spending thousands on hotels each year to stay in Phoenix for a week and Florida for two weeks. Spend a little less money traveling, but be able to stay for longer periods of time and produce better stuff.

With that said, I won't be applying for the job. It's not exactly what I want to do. Plus, there's that whole "you have to fly" requirement to the job. And since I'm a lunatic and won't get on a plane.....
    Plus if you are a newspaper sports reporter, don't they require that you drink beer and smoke cigars while banging away on a typewriter?

Good to see you back.

"So Fla Red"

FCB, fill out the application!!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Who was the last good newspaper writer that played "Baseball"?

I'll wait for some names
    Can’t think of any newspaper writers. They wouldn’t put up with it.

Jim Bouton, Doug Glanville, Pat Jordan, and Dirk Hayhurst come to mind as book authors who actually write. Jim Brosnan too.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Plus if you are a newspaper sports reporter, don't they require that you drink beer and smoke cigars while banging away on a typewriter?

Good to see you back.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

9. Likes:

757690 (01-12-2018),Chip R (01-14-2018),Revering4Blue (01-12-2018),westofyou (01-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    What makes him an idiot?
    I just feel he doesn’t like being questioned by fans (even when legitimate) and comes across as quite petty and arrogant in some of his replies. He blocked me straight away after I questioned one of his tweets.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    I just feel he doesn’t like being questioned by fans (even when legitimate) and comes across as quite petty and arrogant in some of his replies. He blocked me straight away after I questioned one of his tweets.
    I feel pretty comfortable in saying that isn't anywhere near the meaning of the word idiot.

I feel pretty comfortable in saying that isn't anywhere near the meaning of the word idiot.
    He'd be an idiot for blocking me, but I'm a Super Genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    He'd be an idiot for blocking me, but I'm a Super Genius.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

14. Likes:

757690 (01-12-2018),Chip R (01-14-2018),Old school 1983 (01-12-2018),Raisor (01-12-2018),Revering4Blue (01-12-2018),westofyou (01-12-2018)

Maybe in your eyes he’s not. However a thin skinned sarcastic journalist who doesn’t seem to like it when someone questions or challenges him is an idiot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Maybe in your eyes he’s not. However a thin skinned sarcastic journalist who doesn’t seem to like it when someone questions or challenges him is an idiot to me.
    You seem to be confusing "engaging" with "idiot".

Implying he's an idiot would mean he's stupid.

What you are implying is not anything remotely close to what an idiot is defined as.

Given the benefits that come along with it, absolutely.

But, guys, the RV thing wouldn't be needed if someone else were paying for my travel. That was the entire point behind the RV. To save money in the long run instead of spending thousands on hotels each year to stay in Phoenix for a week and Florida for two weeks. Spend a little less money traveling, but be able to stay for longer periods of time and produce better stuff.

With that said, I won't be applying for the job. It's not exactly what I want to do. Plus, there's that whole "you have to fly" requirement to the job. And since I'm a lunatic and won't get on a plane.....
    You probably will not believe me, but I don't fly either. Too many close calls. If I can't drive there, I ain't going.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    You probably will not believe me, but I don't fly either. Too many close calls. If I can't drive there, I ain't going.
    "If you have to fly, Go by bus." - Lewis Grizzard
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Like I tell my wife who doesn’t like flying, you stand a much greater chance of dying on the drive to the airport than you do flying. I used to fly a *lot* for work. I just went to my happy place on take off and landing.

Seems that covering teams as a best writer doesn’t quite have the same allure it once did. Times and modern media and money and players have changed. It’s a hugely more visible game now in all of its facets.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Like I tell my wife who doesn’t like flying, you stand a much greater chance of dying on the drive to the airport than you do flying. I used to fly a *lot* for work. I just went to my happy place on take off and landing.

Seems that covering teams as a best writer doesn’t quite have the same allure it once did. Times and modern media and money and players have changed. It’s a hugely more visible game now in all of its facets.
    And like I tell everyone that brings up that flying is safer than driving: I'm far more likely to survive a car crash than a plane crash. And, I'm generally in control my the car crash. Yes, things tend to happen from time to time where it's 100% out of your control in the car crash scenario, but being observant and reactive goes a very long way. In the plane, I have zero control. Also, I'm irrational about this.

Turn Off Ads?