Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars 2018 Season

Jacksonville Jaguars 2018 Season

Well, the 2017 Season is over and it went better than almost anyone could have imagined. We went from 3-13 and picking in the top 5 year after year, to being edged out in the AFC Championship by the Patriots. The Jags are now one of the top teams in the League, and the off-season tasking looks to be quite different than the past.

Management - The Shad Khan/Tom Coughlin/Dave Caldwell triumvirate seemed to work without a hitch. There was never the slightest hint of friction during the year. Management that is unhappy with the GM and/or scouting make changes after the draft, and the Jags made no changes in that area.

Coaching - Jags choice of Doug Marrone seems to have worked out almost perfectly. The Jags kept both offensive and defensive coordinators last season during last years purge. And both seem to have had much success. The DC, Todd Wash got voted as Coordinator of the year by other NFL Coaches. I hope when everything is evaluated, I hope an honest look at coaching is done also. There seemed to be 4 or 5 coaching related things that occurred during the AFC Championship that seemed to contribute to the defeat.

First, getting a delay of game after a time-out. It cost us a crucial first down as we were driving at the end of the first half and turned the ball over to Pats who scored a TD. This issue raises it's head fairly often so it needs to be addressed. Second, we may have the best man coverage corner duo in the league, yet often we go into soft zone coverage which always seems to burn us. Corner AJ Bouye commented on this after the loss. Third - We have a speedy back in Corey Grant. The Patriots seemed to be confused on how to cover him, and then he never got called on again. Fourth, the offense seemed to go conservative/predictable in the second half which led to their being almost completely shut down. Fifth - One of Bortles main attributes is his ability to run for gains. In the Championship, he never ran once.

And two of those points leads us to the biggest question of next season.

Quarterback - Turns out Blake Bortles is a pretty decent QB after all. In 4 years, he's had 3 different OC's. With Nate Hackett now staying on, it appears Bortles will finally get stability in that area. The question is, however, is "pretty decent" good enough, or do the Jags need to look to improve? Almost everyone assumes that backup Chad Henne will be gone.

While we're on this topic let's address the salary cap. Jags are finally spending a lot of money. By no means are they up against the cap, but they can't be big spenders in Free Agency this year unless something big happens. Let's say for example, they can't go after Cousins, unless a big contract like Bortles goes.

I get the feeling Blake is well liked by the team and coaching staff for his hard work, and toughness. But I also get the feeling that part of the reason for the conservative, predictable offense in the second half was a mild distrust of Blake. Blake is also not the most accurate passer in the world.

So the QB question will be the main topic of the off-season.

Wide-Receivers - We have a lot of them and a lot of questions. DeDe Westbrook and Keelan Cole would seem to be locks, because they are young, fast and cheap. I assume the Jags would like to re-sign Allen Robinson who is a Free Agent and coming off ACL surgery. The question will be for how much? If he signs most people think one of Allen Hurns or Marquis Lee will not be back. (i'd probably choose Lee to go)

RB- Almost no one expects Chris Ivory to be Jag next year. He is expensive and redundant. If the pick up anyone it's probably a late rounder.

Offensive Line - Caldwell and Marrone kept saying the OL was better than people thought and turns out they were right. I still kind of expect a 2nd or 3rd round road grader to appear in the draft.

Tight End - This is the position most mock drafts have us addressing. Marcedes Lewis is getting old, current tight ends were serviceable but not standouts.

Defense - We might lose Aaron Colvin (Safety) as a Free Agent. He want to be a corner and corner is covered here. Most people think our too defensive need is a speedy linebacker to replace Paul Posluszny.

So that's where we stand. Schedule looks very tough next year.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-25-2018 at 12:27 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jacksonville Jaguars 2018 Season

Bortles needs to go. We need a real QB. One who can accurately throw the ball and knows how to lead a receiver with his passes. Even the majority of Blake's completions were slightly behind, or caused the receiver to slow down.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Bortles needs to go. We need a real QB. One who can accurately throw the ball and knows how to lead a receiver with his passes. Even the majority of Blake's completions were slightly behind, or caused the receiver to slow down.
    Quick question.....is there a QB out there that is under the radar in the draft? Maybe like a 4th or 5th rounder? That would suit the Jags needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Quick question.....is there a QB out there that is under the radar in the draft? Maybe like a 4th or 5th rounder? That would suit the Jags needs.
    The one guy that I want (not 4th/5th) is Lamar Jackson. While Darnold, Rosen, Allen, and Mayfield are all hovering at the top of the draft Lamar is either around the back of the 1st or not a 1st rounder at all in most of the current mock drafts.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    The one guy that I want (not 4th/5th) is Lamar Jackson. While Darnold, Rosen, Allen, and Mayfield are all hovering at the top of the draft Lamar is either around the back of the 1st or not a 1st rounder at all in most of the current mock drafts.
    So how do they get him?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    So how do they get him?
    If Jackson is a late 1st round pick, or maybe even early second round, the Jags have the 29th pick in the 1st round.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'm not sold on Jackson. There are guys like Luke Falk who are expected to be 3/4th rounders. I don't see us getting involved in high dollar spending for Cousins. I think Eli has a fork in him. If we could get Alex Smith for a 3rd I might be interested.

I assume a lot of teams are watching to see what Vikings are going to do with their 3 potential starting QB's.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'm not sold on Jackson. There are guys like Luke Falk who are expected to be 3/4th rounders. I don't see us getting involved in high dollar spending for Cousins. I think Eli has a fork in him. If we could get Alex Smith for a 3rd I might be interested.

I assume a lot of teams are watching to see what Vikings are going to do with their 3 potential starting QB's.
    Talented athlete - but I'm not a Jackson fan as far as a starting QB in the NFL. I think it's going to take more then a 3rd round pick to land Smith from KC. But the fact that there are several top QB prospects coming out of college, as well as some veteran NFL QBs possibly in the market, may help keep the price down on Smith. Supply and demand.

A couple good articles on why KC may not get the return they expect/want ....

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city...for-alex-smith

https://kckingdom.com/2018/01/23/kan...or-alex-smith/
    Last edited by GAC; 01-26-2018 at 04:01 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I liked the look (and interviews) with that Richmond Spiders QB that was Senior Bowl MVP. Kyle Lauletta. 6'3 216.

Teams can change their uniforms every 4 years. It's now time for Jags to make some changes. Mark Long from AP reported the widely held belief that the Pro Bowl was the last time the Jags would wear the much-maligned two tone helmet.

He's hearing it will be black.

Everyone expects a uniform change also. There's been a widespread belief around town that Khan didn't like the teal, and instead favored gold (mustard) since it was more like a Jaguar. So the uniforms were essentially either black or white. The black one has little patches of teal (if you looked closely). When we played in a color rush we wore all yellow. It was hideous. (although to be fair most of the color rush uniforms are somewhat hideous).

The Jaguars web site was basically yellow and black.

We had an alternate teal uniform. For 3 years it was never worn.

Something changed this year. Was it Coughlin coming back? I'm not sure. But at some point the Jaguars web site become teal and black. And low and behold the Jags announced the teal alternate uniform would be worn for 2 home games (that's the max an alternate can be worn). They promoted the games with "Forever Teal" which has become a prominent hashtag and slogan again in Jax.

So my belief is that the new Jags uniforms will mark a return of teal. Or at least be more way prominent. After all you can't yell Forever Teal and then say "Just kidding....it's gold".

Is teal the most manly or ferocious color? Nope. But it's Jacksonville. Aqua ain't the most fierce color either but it's Miami.

Teams can change their uniforms every 4 years. It's now time for Jags to make some changes. Mark Long from AP reported the widely held belief that the Pro Bowl was the last time the Jags would wear the much-maligned two tone helmet.

He's hearing it will be black.

Everyone expects a uniform change also. There's been a widespread belief around town that Khan didn't like the teal, and instead favored gold (mustard) since it was more like a Jaguar. So the uniforms were essentially either black or white. The black one has little patches of teal (if you looked closely). When we played in a color rush we wore all yellow. It was hideous. (although to be fair most of the color rush uniforms are somewhat hideous).

The Jaguars web site was basically yellow and black.

We had an alternate teal uniform. For 3 years it was never worn.

Something changed this year. Was it Coughlin coming back? I'm not sure. But at some point the Jaguars web site become teal and black. And low and behold the Jags announced the teal alternate uniform would be worn for 2 home games (that's the max an alternate can be worn). They promoted the games with "Forever Teal" which has become a prominent hashtag and slogan again in Jax.

So my belief is that the new Jags uniforms will mark a return of teal. Or at least be more way prominent. After all you can't yell Forever Teal and then say "Just kidding....it's gold".

Is teal the most manly or ferocious color? Nope. But it's Jacksonville. Aqua ain't the most fierce color either but it's Miami.
    I heard somewhere that there is going to be a return to teal next year and Coughlin is one of the primary driving forces behind it.

I'm all for it. I miss uniforms from the late 90s, and if the team feels like being ferocious then they can always use the all black which is my favorite Jags uniform of all time.

Bortles had wrist surgery to repair a small tear. He cannot be cut unless he is fully healthy. If he is still on the roster in 43 days his 19 million option will be picked up. Going to get really interesting to see how this goes. I'm guessing they'll move forward with Blake in 2018 but address QB early in the draft, maybe as high as the 1st or 2nd rd.

Ian Rapoport says Jags plan for Blake to be the QB next year. I also suspect Jags will pick up a QB in the draft but I say 3rd or 4th round.

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-30-2018),Revering4Blue (01-31-2018)

Alex Smith traded to Redskins today and signing long term deal. In my estimation, this lessens the chances of him starting for Jags this season.

Edit.... add smiley face just to be sure...
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-31-2018 at 12:29 AM.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-31-2018)

Alex Smith traded to Redskins today and signing long term deal. In my estimation, this lessens the chances of him starting for Jags this season.
    It takes Alex Smith off the table but adds Kirk Cousins to any team looking for a QB. I agree that the Jags are not in the market for a high priced veteran to replace Bortles next yr

Turn Off Ads?