Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michigan State secrets extend far beyond Larry Nassar case

Michigan State secrets extend far beyond Larry Nassar case

Bad stuff.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...ssar-case-espn

MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY administrators have long claimed, to the federal government and public, that they have handled sexual assault, violence, and gender discrimination complaints properly.

But an Outside the Lines investigation has found a pattern of widespread denial, inaction and information suppression of such allegations by officials ranging from campus police to the Spartan athletic department, whose top leader, Mark Hollis, announced his retirement on Friday. The actions go well beyond the highly publicized case of former MSU athletic physician Larry Nassar.

Over the past three years, MSU has three times fought in court -- unsuccessfully -- to withhold names of athletes in campus police records. The school has also deleted so much information from some incident reports that they were nearly unreadable. In circumstances in which administrators have commissioned internal examinations to review how they have handled certain sexual violence complaints, officials have been selective in releasing information publicly. In one case, a university-hired outside investigator claimed to have not even generated a written report at the conclusion of his work. And attorneys who have represented accusers and the accused agree on this: University officials have not always been transparent, and often put the school's reputation above the need to give fair treatment to those reporting sexual violence and to the alleged perpetrators.

Even MSU's most-recognizable figures, football coach Mark Dantonio and basketball coach Tom Izzo, have had incidents involving their programs, Outside the Lines has found.

There's much more but essentially one can surmise from the details included that Dantonio isn't gonna survive this and Izzo might not either.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Michigan State secrets extend far beyond Larry Nassar case

This sounds like another Penn State where people knew things were going on but did nothing about it. You can't imagine anyone in power at MSU is going to survive this and probably shouldn't.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Starting to think these types of issues may be wide spread throughout college sports. If so it's a shame!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    This sounds like another Penn State where people knew things were going on but did nothing about it. You can't imagine anyone in power at MSU is going to survive this and probably shouldn't.
    It’s almost like not giving Penn State the deserved death penalty didn’t set an example that would discourage covering stuff up. Same crap is going to happen here. A couple people will resign in disgrace with no real punishment to the university.

Give PSU the death penalty

And if MSU did a similar coverup give them the death penalty.

An example must be set.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

Dom Heffner (04-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Starting to think these types of issues may be wide spread throughout college sports. If so it's a shame!!!
    I have no doubt about it. We'll probably never find out for sure until years from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Oh I think its widespread through sport in general. Heck its rampant in Hollywood and being exposed right now.

Frankly, I think its better now that what it was in the past. In the past, without all the social media avenues, the powerful could bury these stories rather easily.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-26-2018)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Scuttlebutt on Twitter is that both Izzo and Dantoni will retire soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Oh I think its widespread through sport in general. Heck its rampant in Hollywood and being exposed right now.

Frankly, I think its better now that what it was in the past. In the past, without all the social media avenues, the powerful could bury these stories rather easily.
    I said a few months ago when this thing got rolling that accusations would probably come from all corners and that we'd occasionally be shocked at who was being accused.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Do it right this time...death penalty.
    Go Gators!

Wow. Just wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Anybody got rope and a strong Oak tree? Hang the bastards.

Turns out NCAA president Mark Emmert knew about the assaults in 2010 but did nothing.

https://theathletic.com/223555/2018/...ports-in-2010/
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s almost like not giving Penn State the deserved death penalty didn’t set an example that would discourage covering stuff up. Same crap is going to happen here. A couple people will resign in disgrace with no real punishment to the university.

Give PSU the death penalty

And if MSU did a similar coverup give them the death penalty.

An example must be set.
    Baylor too.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

16. Likes:

paintmered (01-27-2018),Raisor (01-26-2018),RedTeamGo! (01-26-2018)

I'm about ready to nuke the earth from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Turns out NCAA president Mark Emmert knew about the assaults in 2010 but did nothing.

https://theathletic.com/223555/2018/...ports-in-2010/
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I remember that Dantonio, in one of his first actions as head coach at UC, handed out "playbooks for life" to every player, just as Tressel was known to do at OSU. It would seem that that version of Dantonio was a facade.

I think that I am ready for a day without revenue college athletics. It`s time to adopt club sports as the means to develop players for the pros. The universities have proven themselves incapable of policing themselves.
    Last edited by paintmered; 01-27-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-28-2018),dabvu2498 (01-27-2018),Roy Tucker (01-27-2018),The Operator (04-28-2018)

Turn Off Ads?